Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 02-05-2017, 02:41 PM

Default Browning Silver Hunter

So we just went out to shoot our new guns, the wife's is a browning silver hunter micro midas 12ga 26" barrel. It fits her good but she said it still kicks, anyone else find this, would a limb saver help. I told her to toughen up, she normally shoots a 20ga for skeet and chickens but wants to goose hunt. My silver hunter 12ga 28" shoots beautiful, skeet shells you barely feel, 3" boot a bit but they always do.
Old 02-05-2017, 04:13 PM

How well does it actually fit her? If it dosnt fit worth a darn then it may feel worse.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 02-05-2017, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikka250 View Post
How well does it actually fit her? If it dosnt fit worth a darn then it may feel worse.
She said it fits good, it has a 13" lop, she tries mine a it's way to long. It's a challenge to find guns that fit women, expecially if there chesty. I'm going to have a look at a limbsaver.
Old 02-05-2017, 04:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtz View Post
She said it fits good, it has a 13" lop, she tries mine a it's way to long. It's a challenge to find guns that fit women, expecially if there chesty. I'm going to have a look at a limbsaver.
Pics. Just kidding.

I'd look at a mercury tube. Made a helluva difference when I used to trap shoot. That and a kick down pad.
Old 02-05-2017, 04:53 PM

I think id be trying a 20g with 3" shells and a good choke for geese rather than jumping up to a 12g.
She may not get as much range with it, but she will definitely shoot it better than a 12g shes scared of.
Old 02-05-2017, 04:54 PM

Make sure that her posture is proper, so she isn't leaning away from the gun like some people tend to do. It seems to increase the felt recoil substantially, when people lean away from the gun, rather than leaning into it.
Old 02-05-2017, 05:25 PM

Quote:
There is a lot more to reducing recoil than just the recoil pad. Lighter target loads may help a bit.

She says it fits good, but does it really? LOP is just one of the measurements that are part of fit. Another thing to take into account is the pitch of the stock.

I would suggest that you seek out someone who is qualified to advise on wing shooting and proper gun mount and gun fit.

All of this is tough to do without seeing her shoot.

BTW telling her to toughen up is not a good plan.
Old 02-05-2017, 08:38 PM

Thanks guys, we will have to try a couple things to make it comfortable to shoot.
Old 02-06-2017, 04:47 AM

Default kicks

bought a micro silver for the wife too and she loves it . asked her about kick and she said no , just a good push with the 3 in. mags /
Old 02-06-2017, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomstick View Post
bought a micro silver for the wife too and she loves it . asked her about kick and she said no , just a good push with the 3 in. mags /
Is it the 12ga or 20, there's not much of a butt pad on hers compared to my silver hunter. My butt pad has browning name on it and her is inflex, doesn't seem like much there.
Old 02-06-2017, 09:15 AM

find someone with a 930 Mossberg
get her to try it
see if that works better for her
the 930 has very soft recoil
or find a very little used browning gold they are still softer recoil then a browning silver
(buy one for her and give me the browning silver just joking)
shoot where their
going not where they been,
Old 02-06-2017, 10:00 AM

What was she shooting for loads? I'm having the same issues finding a shotgun for my wife that doesn't kick too much. Thinking the beretta a300 or the youth sx3 might be the ticket
Old 02-06-2017, 11:30 AM

Some of the best lady shooters I have seen have done well with over and under shotguns which technically should have more recoil than auto loading shot guns. Proper gun mount and proper gun fit and concentration on the target have a lot to do with lack of perceived recoil.

The difference between the sx3 and the silver is just cosmetic. If one is perceived to recoil less it should be attributed to gun fit. Both are fine firearms and in the 3 inch modes should be able to handle most light target loads.
Old 02-06-2017, 11:36 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
Some of the best lady shooters I have seen have done well with over and under shotguns which technically should have more recoil than auto loading shot guns. Proper gun mount and proper gun fit and concentration on the target have a lot to do with lack of perceived recoil.

The difference between the sx3 and the silver is just cosmetic. If one is perceived to recoil less it should be attributed to gun fit. Both are fine firearms and in the 3 inch modes should be able to handle most light target loads.
3" mode?
Old 02-06-2017, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
3" mode?
3 inch models and not the 3 1/2 inch models.
Old 02-06-2017, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 REM MAG View Post
What was she shooting for loads? I'm having the same issues finding a shotgun for my wife that doesn't kick too much. Thinking the beretta a300 or the youth sx3 might be the ticket
She shot 2 3/4 # 6 bird shot and then I gave her a 3 " BB, she said the 2 3/4 kick pretty good and the 3" hurt. I bought her a limbsaver today, she hasn't shot it yet, I put 3 2 3/4 through it and I think it's OK but I'm 6' 235lb.
Old 02-06-2017, 07:40 PM

Quote:
She shot 2 3/4 # 6 bird shot and then I gave her a 3 " BB, she said the 2 3/4 kick pretty good and the 3" hurt. I bought her a limbsaver today, she hasn't shot it yet, I put 3 2 3/4 through it and I think it's OK but I'm 6' 235lb.
The 2 3/4 #6 is probably a field load and heavier than a target load. In my opinion any field load is too heavy to shoot in a non hunting situation, especially for a new shooter. Save the field loads for birds and in practice shoot target loads, the lighter the better.

Kick pretty good and hurt should never be part of learning to shoot.

In my opinion a good instructor would do everything to prevent her from being gun shy.
Old 02-06-2017, 08:54 PM

You might want to check out the "shotgun recoil table" on the chuckhawks.com site to really get an idea on the amount of recoil a person receives when shooting a shotgun. Twenty pounds of recoil is supposedly what the average person can comfortably handle. It looks like she was doing fine with the "twenty some pound" recoil loads until you gave her one with over fifty pounds of felt recoil.
Old 02-06-2017, 09:05 PM

Quote:
The 2 3/4 #6 is probably a field load and heavier than a target load. In my opinion any field load is too heavy to shoot in a non hunting situation, especially for a new shooter. Save the field loads for birds and in practice shoot target loads, the lighter the better.

Kick pretty good and hurt should never be part of learning to shoot.

In my opinion a good instructor would do everything to prevent her from being gun shy.
She's been shooting for 25 years, I think the way Browning bragged the gun up, she was expecting a little less recoil, she normally shoots a 20ga over under.
Old 02-06-2017, 10:37 PM

Quote:
She's been shooting for 25 years, I think the way Browning bragged the gun up, she was expecting a little less recoil, she normally shoots a 20ga over under.
I do not think it is reasonable to expect not to notice a significant difference between a 20 gauge skeet load and a 12 gauge field load and especially a 3 inch 12 gauge.

I have had quite a bit of experience with the SX models and I think recoil is less than a fixed breach firearm and for me they are pleasant to shoot with target loads. Not so much with field loads and especially 3 inch and never for non hunting.

Pounding giant birds out of the sky may require a bit more load but then the recoil is not noticed as much as in a hunting situation.

After the gun is broke in with those big boomers (You do it) have her try a couple boxes of the lightest target loads you can find.
Old 02-06-2017, 11:00 PM

Quote:
I do not think it is reasonable to expect not to notice a significant difference between a 20 gauge skeet load and a 12 gauge field load and especially a 3 inch 12 gauge.

I have had quite a bit of experience with the SX models and I think recoil is less than a fixed breach firearm and for me they are pleasant to shoot with target loads. Not so much with field loads and especially 3 inch and never for non hunting.

Pounding giant birds out of the sky may require a bit more load but then the recoil is not noticed as much as in a hunting situation.

After the gun is broke in with those big boomers (You do it) have her try a couple boxes of the lightest target loads you can find.
There is no need to break the gun in with heavy loads, both of my SX-3s, and several other SX-3s and Silvers that I know of were fed target loads from the start, and they functioned fine with them. I find recoil very soft with target loads.
Old 02-06-2017, 11:14 PM
Banned

I had a Browning Gold and it was one of the softer shooting shotguns I've ever had. (granted it's the only semi shotgun I've owned).

I would echo what others have said about verifying gun fit. (some people are brownings and some are berettas and some are OK with both)

Good luck.
Old 02-07-2017, 09:22 AM

I'm sure with the limbsaver that I put on and lighter skeet loads she will be fine with it, and as far as hunting she probably won't even notice like covey ridge said, adrenaline kicks in.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
There is no need to break the gun in with heavy loads, both of my SX-3s, and several other SX-3s and Silvers that I know of were fed target loads from the start, and they functioned fine with them. I find recoil very soft with target loads.
I have owned several of the SX guns as well as Berettas and Benelli and the Browning Gold. As you say, they usually all work out of the box with target loads but I have found not all will cycle the lightest target loads. They will cycle them after a break in with heavier loads. I was thinking of those marketed as low recoil and low noise and some 24 gram loads traveling at way less than international target velocities.

After I retired I sold firearms part time off and on for 17 years. Though they were few some of the b guns and the SX guns usually field models would occasionally come back with this alleged problem. With the Berettas and Benellis I would point to the break in procedure in their manuals. It usually was a fix.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:44 AM

Quote:
I'm sure with the limbsaver that I put on and lighter skeet loads she will be fine with it, and as far as hunting she probably won't even notice like covey ridge said, adrenaline kicks in.
I hope that is the case My main concern here was that she continues to enjoy shooting.
Old 02-07-2017, 10:51 AM

Quote:
I have owned several of the SX guns as well as Berettas and Benelli and the Browning Gold. As you say, they usually all work out of the box with target loads but I have found not all will cycle the lightest target loads. They will cycle them after a break in with heavier loads. I was thinking of those marketed as low recoil and low noise and some 24 gram loads traveling at way less than international target velocities.

After I retired I sold firearms part time off and on for 17 years. Though they were few some of the b guns and the SX guns usually field models would occasionally come back with this alleged problem. With the Berettas and Benellis I would point to the break in procedure in their manuals. It usually was a fix.
When the SX and Silver guns do have issues with light target loads, it is often because they were not properly cleaned and lubed , before being fired for the first time. I have seen this happen a few times when people brought new guns out to shoot trap or skeet with them. The other issue seems to be the cheap Winchester target loads , especially the crappy Universal loads that people purchase at Walmart, These loads often cause issues even with guns that have already fired hundreds of rounds. I have fired several loads through my own SX-3 shotguns, and while the 3" model will cycle every load that I have tried, the 3-1/2" model is not 100% with the cheap Winchester loads. Even the 1 ounce Challenger and Kent loads are much more reliable than the Winchester loads.
Old 02-07-2017, 11:16 AM

Quote:
When the SX and Silver guns do have issues with light target loads, it is often because they were not properly cleaned and lubed , before being fired for the first time. I have seen this happen a few times when people brought new guns out to shoot trap or skeet with them. The other issue seems to be the cheap Winchester target loads , especially the crappy Universal loads that people purchase at Walmart, These loads often cause issues even with guns that have already fired hundreds of rounds. I have fired several loads through my own SX-3 shotguns, and while the 3" model will cycle every load that I have tried, the 3-1/2" model is not 100% with the cheap Winchester loads. Even the 1 ounce Challenger and Kent loads are much more reliable than the Winchester loads.
Yep^^^^^^I find the Kent very reliable. I used to use 10 to 20 flats per year, to supplement my reloads.
Old 02-07-2017, 01:15 PM

Quote:
I hope that is the case My main concern here was that she continues to enjoy shooting.
She loves hunting and skeet shooting, we will try it skeet shooting may long weekend, if she doesn't like it, there will be a good deal on slightly used shotgun and she will go back to a 20ga.
Old 02-07-2017, 01:22 PM

Quote:
She loves hunting and skeet shooting, we will try it skeet shooting may long weekend, if she doesn't like it, there will be a good deal on slightly used shotgun and she will go back to a 20ga.
Try and locate some 1200fps or lower 1 ox. or even 3/4 oz loads f you can find some, the difference is significant.
Old 02-07-2017, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Try and locate some 1200fps or lower 1 ox. or even 3/4 oz loads f you can find some, the difference is significant.
OK thanks