Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-20-2017, 02:01 PM

Default Just aheads up about shipping firearms by Canada Post

Done it for years. Had a disassembled shotgun go through Edmonton on the way to Holden. Edmonton xrayed the package and determined it was a firearm without a trigger lock. Declared it undeliverable according to their guidelines dated January 2017. Article 3.3 under Firearms.
Shipped it to undeliverable mail center in Scarborough and will be held for up to 1 year before auction or destruction if I do not supply a trigger lock and pay to have it returned to me.
Old 10-20-2017, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
....and will be held for up to 1 year before auction or destruction if I do not supply a trigger lock and pay to have it returned to me.
Wow, bureaucracy at its finest!!
Old 10-20-2017, 02:08 PM

Default PDF on policy is dated January 17th 2017

It was sent to undeliverable mail on the 13th after being in Edmonton for 4 days and being relabled. Originally the purchaser and myself thought the parcel or packaging were damaged but it turns out after over a week of phone calls and emails there is no damage they are just refusing to deliver without a trigger lock. It was 30 minutes from Holden but they shipped it all across the country.

Firearms (including imitation and replica firearms)

International destinations:

Under no circumstances can Firearms be mailed as defined by the Firearms Act: http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/r.../FullText.html (Section 16 - non-contract) or http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/r.../FullText.html (Section 15 - contract).

Canada:

Please contact the Canadian Firearms Centre at cfc-cafc.gc.ca or by calling 1-800-731-4000 to determine whether it is permissible to ship your firearms.

When it is determined permissible to ship firearms, they must be shipped as follows:
Customer Type

Service To Be Used
Consumer

Regular Parcel with Signature option.
Contract customer

Expedited Parcel with the Proof of Age (18 or 19) option using EST. Visit Section 4.3.2 Mail addressed to children of Policies for an age of majority by province or territory listing.

There cannot be any ammunition in the firearm or in the package. Bullets, cartridges and other ammunition are dangerous goods and cannot be mailed. These items fall under Class 1 (Explosives) of the Canadian Transportation of Dangerous Goods Act and Regulations.

Customers who wish to ship firearms must:

unload the firearms
attach a secure locking device to the firearms
lock the firearms in a sturdy, non-transparent container, and
remove the bolt or bolt carrier from any automatic firearms (if removable).

Firearms cannot be shipped via air and cannot have any markings on the outside of the packaging. The customer is solely responsible for meeting all Canadian Firearms Centre regulations.
NOTE:

For more packaging tips, refer to Section 3.2.2 Suggestions for how to package and wrap items of ABCs of Mailing.

Last edited by wwbirds; 10-20-2017 at 02:21 PM.
Old 10-20-2017, 02:10 PM

That stinks....
Rob
Old 10-20-2017, 02:12 PM

So even if the gun is in a sealed box some idjit has decided it still needs a trigger lock??!!
Some people have just enough knowledge to be dangerous to themselves and others- hope the person that decided this is not allowed to play with sharp objects!
Cat
Old 10-20-2017, 02:37 PM

Default It is getting worse by the hour

Just received a call from Christine supervisor of dispute resolution in Ottawa who confirms Scott Bain of Undeliverable Mail in Scarborough has just advised her a trigger lock is not sufficient as I must now send them a lockable case for shipping in addition to the trigger lock!
Old 10-20-2017, 02:44 PM

Remove the bolt carrier from a AUTOMATIC firearm.
Since when can we ship automatic firearms?
I did not know we could own them?
Old 10-20-2017, 02:47 PM

So what are you supposed to do? Trigger lock and ship it then send the key for the trigger lock in another package or are there trigger locks that have a combination instead of a key? I never messed with them. Used to send a ton of firearms via Canada Post. But then i also walked down my street in Fort McMurray with a .308 levergun on my back to go deer hunting back in the day. Times are a changing....
Old 10-20-2017, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Just received a call from Christine supervisor of dispute resolution in Ottawa who confirms Scott Bain of Undeliverable Mail in Scarborough has just advised her a trigger lock is not sufficient as I must now send them a lockable case for shipping in addition to the trigger lock!
Whaaaaaat??? WOW
Old 10-20-2017, 02:53 PM

A friend of mine just ordered an AR-15, it came via Canada Post in a cardboard box. No locked case and no trigger lock. The box was wrapped in brown paper.....

They must not X-ray all packages....
Old 10-20-2017, 02:55 PM

And just what is a lockable case, any I have could be opened with a screw driver or knife, most of them are molded plastic.
Old 10-20-2017, 02:57 PM

And yet, on a revolver, you can use a zip tie to disable the trigger and hammer, and it is considered a trigger lock, but wouldn't show up on an X-ray...the stupidity and madness of it all! But this is why I always go the extra mile to secure when shipping, because there is always some bean counting anal retentive who can ruin your day because he works for the government, and is here to help.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 10-20-2017, 03:01 PM

Quote:
It was sent to undeliverable mail on the 13th after being in Edmonton for 4 days and being relabled. Originally the purchaser and myself thought the parcel or packaging were damaged but it turns out after over a week of phone calls and emails there is no damage they are just refusing to deliver without a trigger lock. It was 30 minutes from Holden but they shipped it all across the country.

Under no circumstances can Firearms be mailed as defined by the Firearms Act: http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/r.../FullText.html (Section 16 - non-contract) or http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/r.../FullText.html (Section 15 - contract).

Canada:

Please contact the Canadian Firearms Centre at cfc-cafc.gc.ca or by calling 1-800-731-4000 to determine whether it is permissible to ship your firearms.

When it is determined permissible to ship firearms, they must be shipped as follows:
Customer Type

Service To Be Used
Consumer

Contract customer

Expedited Parcel with the Proof of Age (18 or 19) option using EST. Visit Section 4.3.2 Mail addressed to children of Policies for an age of majority by province or territory listing.

There cannot be any ammunition in the firearm or in the package. Bullets, cartridges and other ammunition are dangerous goods and cannot be mailed. These items fall under Class 1 (Explosives) of the Canadian Transportation of Dangerous Goods Act and Regulations.

unload the firearms

Firearms cannot be shipped via air and cannot have any markings on the outside of the packaging. The customer is solely responsible for meeting all Canadian Firearms Centre regulations.
NOTE:

For more packaging tips, refer to Section 3.2.2 Suggestions for how to package and wrap items of ABCs of Mailing.
The idiots don't even now what a bullet is.
Old 10-20-2017, 03:03 PM

Default No surprise

Always been the Canada Post rule, must be trigger locked.

I use the $ 1.00 plastic screw type trigger locks with the two pronged key when I ship.

Tape the "key" inside the box.
Old 10-20-2017, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgavey View Post
No you can't own them, but you can ship them ........... lol .......... makes perfect sense ......... just like anything the government does right?

Ridiculous how these people have made it so far in life not to have been a victim of running with scissors as a child.
Old 10-20-2017, 03:07 PM

Wrap it in foil so they can't see it in the x ray........ haha
Old 10-20-2017, 03:11 PM

Quote:

Canada:

Customer Type

Service To Be Used
Consumer

Contract customer

unload the firearms

NOTE:

Since Canada Post will not ship bullets, what alternatives do you all prefer to use?
Old 10-20-2017, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma View Post
Always been the Canada Post rule, must be trigger locked.

I use the $ 1.00 plastic screw type trigger locks with the two pronged key when I ship.

Tape the "key" inside the box.
Where can you buy these?
Old 10-20-2017, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guysmiley View Post
A friend of mine just ordered an AR-15, it came via Canada Post in a cardboard box. No locked case and no trigger lock. The box was wrapped in brown paper.....

They must not X-ray all packages....
businesses have different mailing regulations than individuals.
And as far as Canada post holding onto the firearm for up to a year, I thought a person only had 30 days to deal with an undeliverable item?
Old 10-20-2017, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duramaximos View Post
Since Canada Post will not ship bullets, what alternatives do you all prefer to use?
Canada post will ship bullets, they won't ship primers, powder or loaded ammunition. The problem is that the information on the site makes it obvious that the idiots don't realize that bullets are only projectiles, and they contain no explosives or dangerous goods. Can par will ship loaded ammunition and powder, primers.
Old 10-20-2017, 03:42 PM

Not sure what the confusion is about since these are not new regulations at all.

All that happened is OP chose to not follow them for whatever reason and got caught. Businesses who are shipping don’t need to follow the same guidelines as an individual
Old 10-20-2017, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteout View Post
Not sure what the confusion is about since these are not new regulations at all.

All that happened is OP chose to not follow them for whatever reason and got caught. Businesses who are shipping don’t need to follow the same guidelines as an individual
I have easily shipped over 30 rifles with Canada Post over the years and have never locked up the trigger. They are obviously only over seeing those regulations now. The 12 gauge shotgun they once left on my door step didnt have a trigger lock on it either btw...
Old 10-20-2017, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flint&Fly Guy View Post
Where can you buy these?
ebay, bell factory trigger locks, come in a bag of 25 or something.
Old 10-20-2017, 04:56 PM

Default First time today that I had seen the requirement for trigger lock

supervisor pointed it out to me as I said in article 3.3 just amended in the January 17 2017 PDF. Reread it again just now and it does call for a locking non transparent case. think the price of guns is going to go up at least $200 each if every firearm in canada has to be shipped in a gun locker/vault and then in a cardboard shipping box. I have probably shipped 30 firearms by mail without any issues in the past couple or three years.
I have involved the post office ombudsman stating that to ship cross country to Scarborough when it was 20 minutes from final destination is ludicrous. Firearm disassembled in box intentionally concealing shape of contents is safer than advertising with large gun shaped case. Disassembled firearms require some knowledge to put together and make functional. Trigger locks can be disabled by a screw driver in less than 10 seconds. These policies have everything to do with looking like they are addressing gun safety with out any actual knowledge of firearms and the internal staff that may target finding them in postal plants. Best if contents are concealed. Even funnier they are not seeking to protect the general public with these rules but rather ensure their own "bonded" employees can't access a firearm in transit.
Old 10-20-2017, 04:56 PM
Banned

I thought this was common knowledge.
Why do you think Cabela's, P&D and everyone else state that you must purchase a trigger lock before they will ship anything by Canada Post?
Old 10-20-2017, 05:14 PM

Quote:
supervisor pointed it out to me as I said in article 3.3 just amended in the January 17 2017 PDF. Reread it again just now and it does call for a locking non transparent case. think the price of guns is going to go up at least $200 each if every firearm in canada has to be shipped in a gun locker/vault and then in a cardboard shipping box. I have probably shipped 30 firearms by mail without any issues in the past couple or three years.
I have involved the post office ombudsman stating that to ship cross country to Scarborough when it was 20 minutes from final destination is ludicrous. Firearm disassembled in box intentionally concealing shape of contents is safer than advertising with large gun shaped case. Disassembled firearms require some knowledge to put together and make functional. Trigger locks can be disabled by a screw driver in less than 10 seconds. These policies have everything to do with looking like they are addressing gun safety with out any actual knowledge of firearms and the internal staff that may target finding them in postal plants. Best if contents are concealed. Even funnier they are not seeking to protect the general public with these rules but rather ensure their own "bonded" employees can't access a firearm in transit.
Trigger locked in an opaque locked container is not new, even if you have not previously followed them.

These are the regulations for individuals, not contract customers, which is why gun stores can ship differently
Old 10-20-2017, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgavey View Post
Guys that have the grandfathered prohib license can own them.
Old 10-20-2017, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteout View Post
Trigger locked in an opaque locked container is not new, even if you have not previously followed them.

These are the regulations for individuals, not contract customers, which is why gun stores can ship differently
I asked about consuner and contract operators and requirement is same for both. Consumer can ship regular post with signature. I shipped through my solutions for small business account wjich is expedited but case and secure lock are required for both.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk
Old 10-20-2017, 05:26 PM

Quote:
I asked about consuner and contract operators and requirement is same for both. Consumer can ship regular post with signature. I shipped through my solutions for small business account wjich is expedited but case and secure lock are required for both.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk
I have received brand new guns from many different dealers from B.C., Alberta Manitoba, Ontario, and Nova Scotia as well as private sales through Canada and NOT ONE was every trigger locked.

None of the new guns came in a case unless it was a factory case and NONE of them were locked.
This rule of their's is one big load of B.S., nothing more.
Cat
Old 10-20-2017, 05:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
I thought this was common knowledge.
Why do you think Cabela's, P&D and everyone else state that you must purchase a trigger lock before they will ship anything by Canada Post?
I purchase 10-15 firearms or more firearms a year from various online Dealers. I have never been requested to purchase a trigger lock for non-restricted or restricted firearms.

Cabelas and P&D also have their own internal registry . Therefore I do not purchase firearms from either .