Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-20-2017, 10:31 AM

Default vehicle damage my fault question

Yes I am at fault. Backing truck out of driveway to take boys to hockey and bump side door of my wives van and make a dent!!!!!

Never had an insurance claim in 30 years driving.

Dilemma???? Truck is a 2017 F350 diesel and bottom left side of bumper has a small scrape. It is a black bumper and almost looks like the 3M is scuff is the white damage itself. Deductible is 1000.

Van is 2008 Honda and deductible is 500. Have 2 deductibles as it is my fault.

Guessing best bet is to get estimate and go from there. New area for me.

I know these things end up costing more than people think. Any suggestions?
Thanks
Old 10-20-2017, 10:35 AM

I've got a couple bumper scrapes on my truck that are my fault. I've just left them and marked it down to general wear and tear. Not worth the deductibles and insurance records. To fix everything you are looking at $1500 in deductibles and records of accidents on your insurance. I'd ignore the truck damage (maybe touch it up yourself) and see what it would cost to get someone to just hammer out the dent on the 10 year old Honda.
Old 10-20-2017, 10:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1 View Post
Yes I am at fault. Backing truck out of driveway to take boys to hockey and bump side door of my wives van and make a dent!!!!!

Never had an insurance claim in 30 years driving.

Dilemma???? Truck is a 2017 F350 diesel and bottom left side of bumper has a small scrape. It is a black bumper and almost looks like the 3M is scuff is the white damage itself. Deductible is 1000.

Van is 2008 Honda and deductible is 500. Have 2 deductibles as it is my fault.

Guessing best bet is to get estimate and go from there. New area for me.

I know these things end up costing more than people think. Any suggestions?
Thanks

Wouldn't you have accident forgiveness on your first?

Otherwise, tell the wife to pay for it
Old 10-20-2017, 10:46 AM

If the paint is scratched on your truck bumper the cheapest and most painless fix would be to just have that portion of the bumper wrapped in gloss black. Maybe $50-80 on the top end. Sounds like you’ve got 3M on it and if the scuff isn’t through the paint you could power polish and reapply the 3M. Would be a little more expense than a wrap. If the dent in your wife’s ride isn’t that bad you’ve got say $1200-1400ish to fix it in cash vs paying the deductibles and insurance premium hike if there’s no forgiveness. Myself, damage has to be a considerable sum to go through insurance.
Old 10-20-2017, 10:50 AM

yes get estimate before you decide to use insurance, and tell body shop your paying for it yourself not a insurance job because they will usually charge less..... if its close to deductible just pay yourself... or just live with scuff
Old 10-20-2017, 10:54 AM

Thanks for quick replies. I want both fixed properly as the truck is 2 months old and the smudge stands out on black color. looks like it could be an easy fix though. Thought about removing the inside panel on the van and punching out the dent but there are 4 motors inside the sliding door so probably above me.

I guess getting the quotes and going from there is next logical step.

I can't even blame the wife for this one................. although every scar in the van is her handywork as I don't drive it!!!!!
Old 10-20-2017, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlisle View Post
yes get estimate before you decide to use insurance, and tell body shop your paying for it yourself not a insurance job because they will usually charge less..... if its close to deductible just pay yourself... or just live with scuff

I concur.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-20-2017, 11:01 AM

I did the same thing backed my travel trailer into my wife's van scrapped the fender and cracked a headlight. $500 deducible I went to a body shop estimate was $3000 !!! turned myself in and paid the $500 my insurance won't go up because it was my first accident in 30 years.
Lesson learned
Never let your wife guide you backing up
Old 10-20-2017, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
Never let your wife guide you backing up
LOL Oh yeah, blame the wife, guy who was in control and doing the backing up...
Old 10-20-2017, 11:15 AM

You have paid for insurance for 30 years. Time to use it. Make sure it is perfect when done.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 10-20-2017, 11:46 AM

Of its your wifes van i would leave it. Why on earth would you make your own insurrance go up for hitting your own car. Dents build charecter. Or just fix it your self
Old 10-20-2017, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlisle View Post
Partly wrong..a bodyshop wont "charge less" for a person paying for it. That is unless its a cash job under the table. An because a shop doesn't know you they wont stick their neck out to save a person a few bucks and end up on the dark side for tax evasion.
Old 10-20-2017, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
LOL Oh yeah, blame the wife, guy who was in control and doing the backing up...
That's what the insurance guy said too

That's my story and I'm sticking to it, wife may have a different opinion
Old 10-20-2017, 01:18 PM

This is a subject I've been wondering about. I managed to significantly damage the side of my 2500HD turning too tight around a concrete block. The body shop says $2300 in damage.

I do have accident forgiveness but my wife has just started to driving and I'm thinking I should hang onto the accident free status for now and either pay to have the truck fixed myself or fix it myself. Doing it myself will not result in a factory perfect look.
Old 10-20-2017, 01:36 PM

Both vehicles are yours? On private property? Fix for cash.
Old 10-20-2017, 01:44 PM

Thank you all. Will get quotes next week and go from there. Not sure on my policy forgiveness as I am direct at fault.
Old 10-20-2017, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walker1 View Post
Thank you all. Will get quotes next week and go from there. Not sure on my policy forgiveness as I am direct at fault.
Just so you know. Calling your insurance company...telling them you had a minor bumper and am thinking of just paying out of pocket and then paying out of pocket still means your first accident forgiveness is used up.

Any accident counts...regardless of if they pay or not. It is a statistics thing...not a $$ thing for insurance companies.

I you hit someone and you fix out of pocket and they call their insurance company just cuz....your insurance can still go up.

My thinking is...pay 30 years of insurance...have an accident...it is there to use. Your deductible is the question...is the cost worth more or less than the deductible.

Any bumper damage needing a new bumper is an instant $4000+. A big scrape down the side...$4000.

Parts are replaceable often. Not repaired.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 10-21-2017, 08:03 AM

Went Deer hunting a couple of years ago and the wife had an accident. She had a estimate from a local shop and it came to $3200.00 rear back quarter, right side. I said that I had walked by that quarter in emptying my truck of deer stuff and did not see $3200.00. Went out and looked at it, shook my head, and got the rubbing compound and cleaned away $3200.00 worth of damage. DUH!