Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-15-2017, 09:46 AM

Old 10-15-2017, 10:35 AM

I cannot speak to what they were thinking or doing, but I know in all sorts of situations we can be completely wrong with conclusions without hearing further from the other individuals. I like to assume others are down to earth - especially in the hunting community.

As for the sks, I think they're a dangerous firearm because they can malfunction. I've had it happen first hand and would choose to never be around another one because it is out of my control if that thing slams forward and fires unintentionally if someone has a round in the mag.
Obviously that isn't always the case. Seeing it once was enough for me though.
As for the cartridge, I'd never argue its effectiveness and you have proven that.

Sounds like you get to enjoy a ton of hunting. Keep enjoying it. I'm lucky if I get 5 days away from home
Old 10-15-2017, 11:42 AM

I can recall one occasion when a group of young guys with all the modern gear and I met crossing paths. I had my old sporterized Lee Enfield and a mix of cammo and oilfield clothing. They were genuinely interested in the Enfield. I think that the hunting channels and magazines push this on them and they feel obligated to buy all of it if they are going to have some success. Also I recall that I didn't get a deer that day.
As for hunting with the SKS, I have not done it with mine even though I think that it is sufficient in accuracy and reliability. It is just so loud to cock, and I don't walk with one in the chamber. Interestingly my other semi auto rifle was designed for hunting (742 Rem) and it cocks as quietly as my bolt actions.
Old 10-15-2017, 11:57 AM
Banned

I'm not going to judge anyone in camo anymore than someone with a plad shirt and blue jeans. Facts are facts though, and first and foremost , the gig's up if your scented whether it be in jeans or camo. Animals use all of their senses to survive and the more of the senses you can fool, the better the odds are of you harvesting your prey.

If you're happy using an sks and whatever cloths keep you warm and dry, then just hunt and leave the judging to the fashion network and don't worry about it.
Old 10-15-2017, 12:23 PM
Banned

OP you're insecure.

Thank me later.
Old 10-15-2017, 12:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfng View Post
This is my interpretation of the other guys thoughts.

So we were just pulling up to our spot and there was a truck parked there already and we thought oh great another hunter.

However when we pulled up he just seemed to be sitting there drinking coffee and didn't seem to be a hunter.

As we got ready he pulled out a pack and we hoped just a hiker but then he pulled a rifle out. We figured we'd leave the spot to him since he was there first and went to our plan B spot.
My thoughts exactly!! I think the OP is suffering from feelings of inadequacy and it’s much easier to cast your own doubts on others.
Old 10-15-2017, 01:51 PM

I don't know why you'd complain about someone leaving you to have your hunting spot to yourself whatever the reason.
Old 10-15-2017, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfng View Post
This is my interpretation of the other guys thoughts.

So we were just pulling up to our spot and there was a truck parked there already and we thought oh great another hunter.

However when we pulled up he just seemed to be sitting there drinking coffee and didn't seem to be a hunter.

As we got ready he pulled out a pack and we hoped just a hiker but then he pulled a rifle out. We figured we'd leave the spot to him since he was there first and went to our plan B spot.
That's the way i see it too. without communication, you can interpret the situation any way you want to. Don't diss them on what you feel happened.
Old 10-15-2017, 09:14 PM
Gone Hunting

A while back I saw a post here where one individual remarked that he wouldn't own a Lee Enfied because they are dangerous in his opinion, because the steal in them is too old and therefor weak according to him.

I've seen hundreds of posts that propose that an animal shot with a cartridge labeled as magnum will die faster compared to those shot with cartridges not labeled as such.

In many ways, we get the message that some hunters think they or their equipment is superior to what some others use or choose.

I don't find it unreasonable to suspect that some people we meet in the field would think likewise.

I'm told that 93 percent of communication is non verbal. In other words, it's body language. A lot of people like to deny this but one thing is clear, non verbal communication is a big part of the picture.

I wasn't there, I don't know what non verbal signals these guys were putting out.
I do know that some hunters are elitist. I do know that some hunters would rather avoid any hunter they see as inferior.

I do wonder, why do some people feel the need to tear down our brothers thoughts and actions.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-15-2017, 11:49 PM

I don't know... New gear or old gear, Walmart camp or Sitka gear. All the disparity in materials listed aside it sounds like you get out hunting a lot plus a yearly 2 week solo moose hunt. That's pretty sweet. I agree that lots of people are geared up to thier ears but that doesn't make a heap of different to the experience you get. I'm honestly a little envious of how much hunting time you have. my life-work balance does not allow a ton of hunt time. I don't want to be rude, but enjoy what you've got bud.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:02 AM

OP it sounds like you're projecting your own judgementalism on the guys who showed up. I think your post could have been re-titled " Nice to see other hunters respecting that you were there first". Time to give up the victimhood. I think many guys envy anybody who is able to go out hunting as often as you do but can only day dream about it from the confines of work
Old 10-16-2017, 07:55 AM

I think alot of that kind if thinking is from watching too many hunting shows online. These guys are sponsored and have top of the line everyhting. Price is no object. After watching this you can start to believe that's what you NEED to be a real hunter. Truth is much of that is a sales gimmick. Don't worry about what other guys think. Enjoy your hunt no matter ehat
Old 10-16-2017, 02:23 PM
Gone Hunting

I know that some folks would pack up and leave so as not to disturb a fellow hunter. I've had it happen. Each time it did, those people were kind enough to tell me that they didn't want to intrude on my hunt. That's what gentlemen do.

Gentleman don't give a fellow hunter dirty looks and the leave if they are leaving out of respect.

I and the people I know would not even unpack if it looked to us like another hunter was there ahead of us. If I thought the other hunter might be about to leave, I would ask if that was what he was intending to do.
That is what a gentleman does.

And a gentleman does not tell a fellow hunter that he is being over sensitive or that he is reading a situation wrong unless he is a close friend, and then only if they are certain and want to help him out.

That is what a gentleman does.

It looks to me like elitist attitude is alive and well on this forum.
You weren't there, you did not see the body language, yet you stand in judgment of a fellow AO member.

That takes some kinda ego.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 10-20-2017, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CF8889 View Post
Honestly, I doubt they even actually noticed. %99 of the times I've heard of this, it's all in the head of the person being judged.

Yup. They didn't pack up and leave because the OP had old gear. They likely packed up and left because they gave it a second thought and realized he wasn't leaving and was heading out to hunt in the vicinity. I'd leave too. I don't want to be tripping over other hunters. I think his complaint seems to say more about what he thinks of guys with new gear than what they think about him. He labelled them elitist when they might have just been respectful. Sounds like lots of room for misunderstanding in that situation.

OR they may have been frightened by a crazy looking old guy toting an SKS and smoking something from what might have been a crack pipe. LOL Either way, doesn't make them elitist.

Last edited by Okotokian; 10-20-2017 at 04:11 PM.
Old 10-20-2017, 05:09 PM
Banned

Meh. When I see an "elitist" with a multi-thousand dollar o/u and his/her fancy brand name gear and bling I just shrug it off because if all goes well the end result will be the same.

People with money spend that money on stuff they don't need to compensate for other stuff they lack- whatever it may be- often ironically a void that cannot be filled with material things.

But they sure do try. And I sure do laugh.
Old 10-20-2017, 06:53 PM

Does having good and expensive gear make you a elitist? Why is that a bad thing ? I would take good pride if I had good gear . All these haters on here , all because of some hurt feelings
Old 10-20-2017, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyU View Post
Meh. When I see an "elitist" with a multi-thousand dollar o/u and his/her fancy brand name gear and bling I just shrug it off because if all goes well the end result will be the same.

People with money spend that money on stuff they don't need to compensate for other stuff they lack- whatever it may be- often ironically a void that cannot be filled with material things.

You seem to think You can label people with no
Problem , however you can't
My friends ( and myself ) worked hard for every nice gun we own and you may see me in the with a SxS gun made by a famous English company but in the afternoon with a cheap Belgian "hardware store" gun .
The gun changed but my attitude sure doesn't
You can't judge a book by it's cover ......
Cat
Old 10-20-2017, 07:54 PM

For most hunters, who have this so called “elitist” gear, they have spent their hard earned money on their gear to aid in their hunt. I have hiked in blue jeans and a plaid jacket 15 miles in the mountains from 6am to 6pm getting soaked to the bone and being uncomfortable. So if you give me the choice, I’m going to wear my quality gear so I can be comfortable and hunt longer and go further.

People are always going to judge other people, that’s life, but for someone to dwell on it and let it effect their entire hunt, that’s ridiculous.
Old 10-20-2017, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell78 View Post
Don't worry. The last buck I shot, I snuck up on him wearing my work coveralls with the reflective striping on them.
I was wearing the same this year when I got my elk along with my partner calling to that bull all wrong according to most.
Old 10-20-2017, 10:53 PM

Smile It is not elitist!

The rest of the world, "normal" people look down on all of us.

Just think about it who in the right mind would spend a day in freezing weather looking down a hole in the ice, butchering a moose and carrying it back to the truck, walking miles to shoot a few small upland birds and I won't even go into what duck hunters go through.

No it hasn't become elitist, you are just a sensitive person. Many of your fellow hunters are as sensitive as a dead rhinoceros.
Old 10-21-2017, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
The rest of the world, "normal" people look down on all of us.

Just think about it who in the right mind would spend a day in freezing weather looking down a hole in the ice, butchering a moose and carrying it back to the truck, walking miles to shoot a few small upland birds and I won't even go into what duck hunters go through.

No it hasn't become elitist, you are just a sensitive person. Many of your fellow hunters are as sensitive as a dead rhinoceros.
great post
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 10-21-2017, 08:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyU View Post

Somebody has a severe case of jealousy as he is unable to afford nice gear so rather than be happy for those who either can or either saved up to acquire the nice gear they dreamt of he puts others down for having that which he does not!
I think that’s known as an inferiority complex.....
Old 10-21-2017, 08:55 AM

Each to their own i guess. My gear is pretty good but it certainly doesn't miraculously make me a better hunter (darn). My hunting buddy just started and he is just picking up some good gear mixing with his "regular" hunting gear. He got his muley last year and i got mine....deer didn't even wink at me for my kuiu

Hunting gear is like golf gear. You don't need the newest and best it's all bout how you swing the club

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk