Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 01-24-2020, 01:18 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty S View Post
Give me a $200 coyote average and I am a full time trapper.... full time trapper seeking a 1500 coyote season!!! Probly!
You sound very bitter with all that doom and gloom, Marty.

These are exciting times so let me try to cheer you up.

If you decide to go hard trapping next year I'll buy your best coyote pelts for a GUARANTEED $120 average......CASH!!!
Old 01-24-2020, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
You sound very bitter with all that doom and gloom, Marty.

These are exciting times so let me try to cheer you up.

If you decide to go hard trapping next year I'll buy your best coyote pelts for a GUARANTEED $120 average......CASH!!!
Dave think the 118 ave offered had any to do with your fur handling?
Old 01-24-2020, 02:49 PM

Oh wow....this got good.

“Boots”.....oh man, once I clued in I just about died.

I hope everyone does well this year. It’s great to see so much excitement for a wild fur product.
Old 01-24-2020, 03:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfcrazy View Post
Dave think the 118 ave offered had any to do with your fur handling?
I'm just starting out so that might be it right there! I heard that they only graded from the back of the ears to the base of the tail so I just cut off the head and tail. Maybe I shouldn't have done that, I dunno.

I'll let you know once I get my grades from FHA. How bout dat?

Here's how it works.......The buyer grades your pelts one grade lower than they actually are and then offers less than market value for the grade that he assigned. I call it the old Dopple-Duping trick.
Old 01-24-2020, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
I'm just starting out so that might be it right there! I heard that they only graded from the back of the ears to the base of the tail so I just cut off the head and tail. Maybe I shouldn't have done that, I dunno.

I'll let you know once I get my grades from FHA. How bout dat?

Here's how it works.......The buyer grades your pelts one grade lower than they actually are and then offers less than market value for the grade that he assigned. I call it the old Dopple-Duping trick.
Dave I mean this with all due respect. I’ve been in your fur shed and have seen the quality fur you produce....but.....aren’t you buying fur, or haven’t you bought fur in the past? Are you doing it to break even?

The market is what it is....people can choose to sell for an offered price or not. That’s the great part of a free market economy.

Some people are going to make money this year, some will lose money, and a bunch of guys will leave money on the table. It’s an exciting time to be in the coyote business
Old 01-24-2020, 07:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by drake View Post
Dave I mean this with all due respect. I’ve been in your fur shed and have seen the quality fur you produce....but.....aren’t you buying fur, or haven’t you bought fur in the past? Are you doing it to break even?

The market is what it is....people can choose to sell for an offered price or not. That’s the great part of a free market economy.

Some people are going to make money this year, some will lose money, and a bunch of guys will leave money on the table. It’s an exciting time to be in the coyote business
Comparing buying put up fur to buying whole frozen shot dogs is like comparing apples to oranges. I get paid for the work that I do putting them up.

I don’t care what anyone else does with their fur. They can do whatever they want, it’s none of my business. In conversations with a few people both on and off the forum I have advised them to not give their pelts away for cheap though. Lots of info is exchanged via PM, even between Marty believe it or not......lol.

Whatever my opinion, it’s ultimately up to them to make their own decisions based on what’s best for them.......I’m not going to try to convince them one way or the other. I also take their advice under consideration. I think that this time it looks like I made the right call but the fat auction lady hasn’t sung yet.
Old 01-24-2020, 09:16 PM

Im hoping to catch Marty in a good mood next week. If he isn't it will still be a nice visit with his lovely wife.My way of thinking is that we both need to make a decent living and not be overly greedy.
Old 01-24-2020, 10:36 PM
AO Sponsor

Dave, I wish I had been more on the ball on your coyotes and had a look at them so I’d have an opinion on them. I really don’t know what they were, Howard graded them and is an exceptional grader. After grading if the trapper isn’t happy with he price we normally try to make something work but didn’t get that opportunity, generally as soon as the bottom is pulled out the average comes way up, in particular when the section 3 is pulled.

Ideally we would have looked at both bags. I have no idea how you split them, then you did bring in the wrong bag? Ideally we look at the full collection then an average is an average, not an average on a lot of hand picked goods.

Grading... many many trappers believe they are good at grading, they definitely pick out their favourites, however, often the trappers favourites aren’t the graders favourites. It takes instruction in order to learn to grade properly. Numerous buyers today have two grades, Good Ones, Bad Ones.

Nice.

Say Kingrat, what did Bryce say?
Old 01-25-2020, 04:37 AM

No idea who Bryce is or how to get ahold him and frankly dont care that much was. I was just curious and bored Marty thanks anyway.
Old 01-25-2020, 08:10 AM

https://www.idahotrappersassociation...ing-events.htm
boots is a regular at all western coyote/cat auctions for many decades A GREAT GUY
Old 01-25-2020, 08:14 AM

https://www.idahotrappersassociation...ng-events.html
Old 01-25-2020, 09:12 AM
AO Sponsor

Bryce Kubly is a longtime employee of GFW and I believe became a partner after a number of years. He is overseeing GFW business in Canada.

Bryce’s number is +1 (815) 275-8201

Do note that GFW buys everything from weasels to bears at world market values. They do buy far more than coyotes. Like Kingrat said, they are the largest buyer of wild fur in the world. They have been buying our fur for a very long time, just the Canadian trappers never knew it.

It does kind of appear that certain folks in the industry harbour some animosity towards GFW. I can’t understand why?

As the largest buyer of our wild fur, GFW is obviously the hand that feeds us.
Old 01-25-2020, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Boots is a fictional charectar. All above langauge fictional... science fiction... based totally on my personal speculation. Zero fact... is the fat man right???

Give Bryce a call and ask him if he could post his numbers for you. He’d be the best guy to ask. Im sure he’ll get right on it for you. Hes a very nice guy
Marty we never see you or your new gang at country auctions competing.

Regards, BOOTS
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender.jpg (18.4 KB, 53 views)
Old 01-25-2020, 12:29 PM

hmmm he does exist.. now that's funny, love your first post. So what are you doing boots that could potentially wreck the coyote market or is Marty just being a negative Ned.

Last edited by kingrat; 01-25-2020 at 12:35 PM.
Old 01-25-2020, 01:24 PM
AO Sponsor

Hi Mr Boots! That is your X-Men designation... have you ever watched X-Men?

Been meaning to call and chat for a while, just been busy. Talk to you soon!

Wow! How the plot thickens on this teeny little insignificant forum

Last edited by Marty S; 01-25-2020 at 01:31 PM.
Old 01-25-2020, 03:05 PM

cheap entertainment
Old 01-25-2020, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Hi Mr Boots! That is your X-Men designation... have you ever watched X-Men?

Been meaning to call and chat for a while, just been busy. Talk to you soon!

Wow! How the plot thickens on this teeny little insignificant forum

Busy here buying coyotes and filling orders.

Regards,
George.... oops I mean Boots

FullSizeRender.jpg

Last edited by Western Montana Fur Co.; 01-25-2020 at 03:48 PM.
Old 01-25-2020, 05:59 PM
AO Sponsor

Mind if we call you Georgie??? Boots just doesnt have a nice ring to it

Sounds like a lot of folks buying and filling orders these days, almost an epidemic

Last edited by Marty S; 01-25-2020 at 06:10 PM.