Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-13-2019, 05:49 PM

Default New Ford Ranger

I see Ford has come out with a new Ranger to compete with the other midsize trucks. Has anybody tried a test drive, or bought one of these trucks.
I have only seen pics, so far. They do look pretty nice.
Looks like next year Nissan Frontier gets a redesign as well.
Old 03-13-2019, 06:02 PM

They look pretty nice but seem pricey, I run toyota tacomas for work and they are pretty tuff. I was thinking of a ranger for my next truck but I don't think I will like 10 speed transmission for oilfield work.
Old 03-13-2019, 06:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurly View Post
I see Ford has come out with a new Ranger to compete with the other midsize trucks. Has anybody tried a test drive, or bought one of these trucks.
I have only seen pics, so far. They do look pretty nice.
Looks like next year Nissan Frontier gets a redesign as well.
My first truck an ‘08 Ranger. Loved that truck. Fully loaded everything they had for accessories.

I paid just over $25,000 off the lot. If it was that size 10 years ago I’d still have it.

But when 2019 starting price, was the sticker price for with every available option in 2008?.

But you’re right, they do look nice.
Fully loaded Ranger Lariat, is what I paid for my 2015 F-150 Lariat that year.

Yup nice looking truck.
Old 03-13-2019, 06:19 PM

Thumbs up Toyota Tacoma

I own a 2010 Ford Ranger Sport. I'm 'fairly' happy with it, but it is was it is ... 20 year old Ford technology, in 2010 clothing.

I really don't know why anyone would pay what Ford wants for the new 2019 Rangers, when for pretty much the same price a guy can get himself into a Toyota Tacoma.

Go Figure

Selkirk
Old 03-13-2019, 07:02 PM

Default Ranger

Wow, just had a look, seems like these rigs, start around $43,000 might be better off with a big truck.
Old 03-13-2019, 08:00 PM

I briefly considered the new Ranger when recently shopping for a mid sized truck, and the common issue reported in several reviews, was that the suspension was way too soft.
Old 03-13-2019, 08:05 PM

Default Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I briefly considered the new Ranger when recently shopping for a mid sized truck, and the common issue reported in several reviews, was that the suspension was way too soft.
Have you looked at the Colorado at all?
Old 03-13-2019, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Have you looked at the Colorado at all?
I test drove the Canyon, and I was impressed with the power and the shifting. It also had a lot of nice features , definitely the nicest interior. The only real drawbacks, were that the steering was a bit numb, and the brakes were a bit touchy. If it wasn't for the not so impressive reliability record, I likely would have bought the Canyon. The Tacoma had less features, and the six speed seemed to hold it back a bit, but the reliability record , and my great experience with my Toyota vehicles, was the reason that I chose the Tacoma.
Old 03-13-2019, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtz View Post
They look pretty nice but seem pricey, I run toyota tacomas for work and they are pretty tuff. I was thinking of a ranger for my next truck but I don't think I will like 10 speed transmission for oilfield work.
I have the 10 speed in my F150 and it’s awesome! Unless I really romp on it while towing it rarely climbs above 3500 rpm. Nicest truck power wise I have ever owned! If I recall the 10 speed was a joint venture between Ford and GMC.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:11 PM

Honest question. Does anyone actually pay full price for a ford? Between employee pricing and year end pricing, you could probably get a lariat for low $30k
Old 03-13-2019, 11:02 PM

Msrp on mine was over 48 I paid around 37 without any employee pricing or other special incentives. I made a crazy low offer and fully expected to walk away. Finally they were stuck over 200$ and I wouldn’t budge. Salesman who was also their finance manager said if the sales manager wouldn’t drop the 200$ he would pay the 200 out of his own pocket to make the sale. I don’t think they had sold much the few days prior.
Old 03-14-2019, 06:43 AM

Default New Ford Ranger

I was in the ford dealership last week waiting for my truck, they had a Raptor inside $93,000 Ford Ranger outside $51,000 I think I will keep my 2013 f150 !
Old 03-14-2019, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkirk View Post
I own a 2010 Ford Ranger Sport. I'm 'fairly' happy with it, but it is was it is ... 20 year old Ford technology, in 2010 clothing.

I really don't know why anyone would pay what Ford wants for the new 2019 Rangers, when for pretty much the same price a guy can get himself into a Toyota Tacoma.

Go Figure

Selkirk
I have the same Ranger and I am still super happy with it. I paid 16k I believe but went without the bells and whistles, no need (added a tonneau (sp?) though). They cancelled the Ranger after 2011 I believe and kept pestering me to sell mine used (so much demand). I love mine and wish I could buy the same as my next truck.

I can't believe how much they charge for the new one. I don't like the new design either.

"If life is tough, it's time to get stronger!" - Joel Runyon (reminder to myself)
Old 03-14-2019, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josey View Post
I can't believe how much they charge for the new one. I don't like the new design either.
What do they charge? I don't really care what the MSRP is, what are they actually selling for, do you know?
Old 03-14-2019, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
What do they charge? I don't really care what the MSRP is, what are they actually selling for, do you know?
Not sure but it starts at $31k they don't like giving you discounts on the bare base model much.
Also I don't think they make a standard any longer so nope, not buying.

"If life is tough, it's time to get stronger!" - Joel Runyon (reminder to myself)
Old 03-14-2019, 11:49 AM

While on holidays on St Maarten of all places. I saw both the new Ranger and Frontier. They both look good. I own a 09 Frontier that I bought new, fantastic truck.

The reason the mid size trucks were discontinued in the first place was that they weren't really any cheaper than a full size truck, the demand dropped off. I don't understand why the manufactures (American) are doing the same thing again....pricing the mid size trucks close to the full size trucks.

Most people don't realize you can still buy brand new full size plain jane trucks for not that much money....in the 20s. Crank windows, cheap wheels and interior but truck is the basically the same as a "fancier" loaded up model.

I have friend that bought a new Silverado, short box, single cab, 2wd. He paid in the low 20s, brand new!
Old 03-14-2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Wow, just had a look, seems like these rigs, start around $43,000 might be better off with a big truck.
Bought my 1986 for 6 Grand, brand spanking new. Very basic truck that did everything expected of it, even had to put a radio in it. Times have changed.

Grizz
Old 03-14-2019, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Bought my 1986 for 6 Grand, brand spanking new. Very basic truck that did everything expected of it, even had to put a radio in it. Times have changed.

Grizz
You bought a brand new truck for the price of what a new Yugo sold for?
Old 03-14-2019, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
I have the 10 speed in my F150 and it’s awesome! Unless I really romp on it while towing it rarely climbs above 3500 rpm. Nicest truck power wise I have ever owned! If I recall the 10 speed was a joint venture between Ford and GMC.
I stop and start so many times a day and all the tools I pack, I even notice it with my tacoma, my 2014 was a 5 speed witch I liked but my 2017 is a 6 speed and I notice it shifts a lot more.
Old 03-14-2019, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinelakeperch View Post
You bought a brand new truck for the price of what a new Yugo sold for?
Originally one of several ordered by Olds College, but they didn't take that one. Soldiers on as my utility trailer.

Grizz
Old 03-14-2019, 06:21 PM

Quote:
I stop and start so many times a day and all the tools I pack, I even notice it with my tacoma, my 2014 was a 5 speed witch I liked but my 2017 is a 6 speed and I notice it shifts a lot more.
My Tacoma has a six speed, and I would prefer an eight speed, so the engine could keep the rpm more consistent at highway speeds, when going up and down hills.
Old 03-14-2019, 06:38 PM

Quote:
The nice thing about the f150 10 speed is that it will jump gears to whatever it needs, it doesn't have to go thru each gear every time. Love mine so far.
Old 03-14-2019, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harv3589 View Post
The nice thing about the f150 10 speed is that it will jump gears to whatever it needs, it doesn't have to go thru each gear every time. Love mine so far.

And it shifts very smooth you hardly notice it!