Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-17-2018, 09:09 AM

Default "Gold Rush" t.v. show

Anyone see the new season episode last night?

what do you think?

to me it seems to be a lot more staged for conflicts etc.

how could Parker & Rick not know some of the things that

came up? Smells like b.s. to me. lol

Orv
Old 10-17-2018, 09:30 AM

totally agree, the show is getting more staged by the year. I'd rather watch yukon gold any day.
Old 10-17-2018, 09:41 AM

Just coincidence that Parker bought land bordering beets. That gaurentees the show conflict
Old 10-17-2018, 10:12 AM

I'm not sure every conflict is "staged" but it is definitely "edited" that way to make the show more compelling to watch.

I like the show and I could see the creative editing and built up drama component of that BUT I can also see how Tony, in real life, would be a bit rough on parker since his million dollar a year captive just up and left him to do his own thing.

Can't blame Parker for setting out on his own, but he should have known Tony was going to be the jerk he is known to be. What would make the kid so naïve after living lesson after lesson under Tony's thumb? did he expect him to change?

I think Tony is just doing whatever he can legally to disrupt Parker's season and potentially trade access to water rights for a kickback/payment of some sort.

I bet next week Parker and Tony do a deal giving Parker access to the water but a royalty or lease rate of some sort.

All Parker did was crawl out from Tony's behind and struggle free only to be caught under his armpit - both places leave you stuck under Tony in a stinky mess.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:16 AM

Its just fun to watch I think. I like the equipment, the different personalities and such..
>>
We'll see of Ness does okay and/or will Parker end up over with him, working his claim?
>>
Tony Beets, just a cool dude.
Old 10-17-2018, 11:09 AM
Banned

I like the show, not sure it’ll be the same without Todd there to act the village idiot. I could do without Parker’s incessive nasal whining tho.
Old 10-17-2018, 01:53 PM

Staged 100%
Old 10-17-2018, 02:11 PM

By the end of the season it will be the Hatfield/Mccoy stand off on the Schnabel Beets property line. Then the last episode will be Parker getting married to Monica Beets just to stick it to Tony.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 10-17-2018, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
By the end of the season it will be the Hatfield/Mccoy stand off on the Schnabel Beets property line. Then the last episode will be Parker getting married to Monica Beets just to stick it to Tony.
Ha Ha I doubt that

have you seen his girlfriend the Aussie!

I am sure she is with him because of his good looks!
Old 10-17-2018, 03:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORV View Post
Ha Ha I doubt that

They’re not together anymore. Parker’s busy makin money.
Old 10-17-2018, 03:53 PM

I've always enjoyed the show too, unfortunately it gained too much popularity. Will become more like reality tv by the end of the season..
Old 10-17-2018, 05:46 PM

Talking

I like it better now, I don't have to fast forward past the Huffmen.

My prediction is Mike is going to marry Monica because Tony won't allow any outsiders to have any say in his mining operation; 'keep it in the family', and the kids have urges, may as well let them act on them.

Oh, and YAAAAARGH.....

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 10-17-2018, 05:50 PM

its a " tv show" , made for entertainment .
Old 10-17-2018, 06:03 PM

Agree, totally staged, how naïve of Parker to get land with only access to it is going over Tony's land and not have conflict. Parker will end up working for Rick.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:11 PM

How do Americans just drive up the the Yukon and work legally?
Old 10-17-2018, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headdamage View Post
How do Americans just drive up the the Yukon and work legally?
You don’t think that a multi million dollar tv show arranges for work visas? The same could be said for how do movie stars film in Canada or hockey/baseball/basketball players.

On a side note, yes scripted but I like the show anyways. I miss being up north! if I had a friend like rick that gave me the opportunity to go North and mine for gold I’d Do it! I think rick will turn out to be a good boss,he has the right people interpersonal management skills. Parker throws temper tantrums after he doesn’t listen to his employees advice and says he will take responsibility if something goes awry. Tony is just a *****, but once again it’s all scripted so who really knows.
Old 10-18-2018, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
I think rick will turn out to be a good boss,he has the right people interpersonal management skills. Parker throws temper tantrums after he doesn’t listen to his employees advice and says he will take responsibility if something goes awry. Tony is just a *****, but once again it’s all scripted so who really knows.

Have to wait and see about Rick. It's always easier to be a manager than an owner. Alot more stresses.

I still like the show. They should've purchased land on the other side of tony so that parker could control tony. That would be entertaining.
Old 10-18-2018, 07:23 AM

My guess is Tony wanted the land Parker leased beside him, but the good old BC boys did not want to lease to him, when Parker got it pis ed Tony off!
Old 10-18-2018, 07:39 AM

Take the equipment out and the bush and you girls have one of those housewife of New York shows. C'mon Sally's....

Now if you guys were at least on a treadmill watching it i could respect that. LMAO
Old 10-18-2018, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
housewife of New York shows.
?? Never heard of it. But I'm sure you can start a thread and discuss it over there.
Old 10-18-2018, 08:05 PM

Chanced to fly to Whitehorse with a guy working one of the real placer mines, Schmidt Mining Corp. , Google it. No small time operation, three camps, they did 6000 ounces last year. Even showed me some pics of nuggets he found, less than finger nail size, but neat. Come on, you guys are watching a staged Reality show. Volvo seems to be a popular equipment line, junk they tell me, but the company pays to have it there. The real miners are concerned about the image this show is creating of their industry as a bunch of reckless environmental pirates.

Grizz

Last edited by Grizzly Adams; 10-18-2018 at 08:10 PM.
Old 10-18-2018, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
I like the show, not sure it’ll be the same without Todd there to act the village idiot. I could do without Parker’s incessive nasal whining tho.
I already miss Todd & his unreasonable goals, and constant blundering.

Surprised nobody has givin Parker a wrap or two in the mouth for how he talks to people, or maybe it has happened and they just didn't show it?
He definitely needs a few..

Love Tony except when he goes rouge and it turns into a spiteful man-child, for a grown man who has a net worth of 15 million dollars you would think he would act with a little more decorum.

Still enjoy it. The secret to that's show is PVR, I can blast through an episode in 40 min or less. Commercials, commercials, COMMERCIALS!!
Old 10-19-2018, 01:15 AM

Wouldn't watch this garbage anymore even if you paid me. Same with Deadliest catch.
Old 10-19-2018, 10:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Anyone see the new season episode last night?

what do you think?

to me it seems to be a lot more staged for conflicts etc.

how could Parker & Rick not know some of the things that

came up? Smells like b.s. to me. lol

Orv
Almost all "reality shows" smell like b.s to me. I watched a couple of them way back when but couldn't handle the outright stupidity on most of them.
Old 10-19-2018, 10:52 AM

The show hasn't changed since the first season. Some digs with a overpriced equipment from a show sponsor, something breaks ( or is disabled off camera), que overly dramatic music just before a long commercial break for added effect, return to scene where someone turns a wrench miraculously saving the day. Add some arguing, posturing and a temper tantrum resulting in a thrown hard hat before some walks off the set. Every third or fourth episode show a vehicle balanced dangerously on an edge that no qualified operator with half a brain would go near. Add the occasional role over that would result in an investigation buy government safety officials yet someone gets a backhoe and tow strap and the whole incident never happened without any repercussions. Zoom in on a jar of gold flakes then call it a season.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 10-19-2018, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
The show hasn't changed since the first season. Some digs with a overpriced equipment from a show sponsor, something breaks ( or is disabled off camera), que overly dramatic music just before a long commercial break for added effect, return to scene where someone turns a wrench miraculously saving the day. Add some arguing, posturing and a temper tantrum resulting in a thrown hard hat before some walks off the set. Every third or fourth episode show a vehicle balanced dangerously on an edge that no qualified operator with half a brain would go near. Add the occasional role over that would result in an investigation buy government safety officials yet someone gets a backhoe and tow strap and the whole incident never happened without any repercussions. Zoom in on a jar of gold flakes then call it a season.
Sure doesn't take much to entertain people these days.

Grizz
Old 10-21-2018, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Sure doesn't take much to entertain people these days. Grizz
Did it take more to entertain people back in the day?
Gold Rush is more entertaining than the drama series on TV. It's like a satire.

Funny they haven't shown Parker making the road to his new claim.

It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 10-21-2018, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Did it take more to entertain people back in the day?
Gold Rush is more entertaining than the drama series on TV. It's like a satire.

Funny they haven't shown Parker making the road to his new claim.

Guy was telling me about his track hoe suddenly falling back end down. Luckily, he was able to extricate himself. Apparently, he broke into an old tunnel, not uncommon, where the Klondikers worked.

Grizz
Old 10-23-2018, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
Guy was telling me about his track hoe suddenly falling back end down. Luckily, he was able to extricate himself. Apparently, he broke into an old tunnel, not uncommon, where the Klondikers worked.

Grizz
I think I would extricate in my shorts. Yikes!

* the pic of the cliffhanger is not actually Parker. It is just for fun.
Old 10-24-2018, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Ha Ha I doubt that

No she is with him for his winning personality...and his manly physique.

Haven't seen her in the show yet so maybe she pulled the pin?

He is a PUNK kid, who was bank-rolled by his dad, and grandfather.....I am surprised ANYONE would work for that snot nosed, whiny little bitch.