Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 06-11-2018, 10:08 AM
AO Sponsor

Default Merry Prompt Date!!!

Hope it was good for y’all!

Even with the big guns playing games in the bidding room on the good colour high end coyotes, still did just fine!

The Lord is good!!!
Old 06-11-2018, 10:18 AM
Banned

Yup, money in the bank.
Old 06-11-2018, 11:52 AM

You coyote Kings are raking in all the gold, us RFMA trappers have to deal with low fur prices, high fuel costs and lots of work keeping lines clear and building bridges.
Old 06-11-2018, 11:58 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
You coyote Kings are raking in all the gold, us RFMA trappers have to deal with low fur prices, high fuel costs and lots of work keeping lines clear and building bridges.
That's true and part of the reason that I have no interest in owning a trapline. You get to catch cooler critters though.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:22 AM
AO Sponsor

We need Putin and the rest of the USA government to iron things out. If the sanctions ever go, we will be in a healthy market. Otherwise this downturn is going to keep dragging itself out.

Just too many mink in this world, and too many people protecting them/market and that causes the EU guys to keep producing full tilt.

But coyotes are still "game on"!
Old 06-12-2018, 10:32 AM

Marty you are probably right. When Asia can buy 4-5 million ranch mink pelts for low prices, no need to pay a premium for marten/fisher/lynx etc
Also why wild fox pelts go for $10-$20 when they can get prime ranch raised pelts.
Old 06-12-2018, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Lots of coyotes on your line I would bet! I could catch 50 to 100 a year if I stopped trying to kill wolves and just hit coyotes. After hearing what my check from the Gov't is most likely going to be for killing wolves last year it will be all coyotes now except for one pack of wolves I am hitting.
I think some FOIP in order to find out where all the money went because the money set aside for the program obviously isn't getting to the trappers in the program the way I thought it should have been but I may be surprised when I get the numbers if I can get a hold of them......
Old 06-13-2018, 08:17 AM

Nube, you keep hitting the wolves hard on your line. Very pleasently surprised how the elk and moose numbers have recovered now that you have trimmed them back.
Yes you are right , with high fuel costs may need to hit coyotes harder to pay expenses.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Nube, you keep hitting the wolves hard on your line. Very pleasently surprised how the elk and moose numbers have recovered now that you have trimmed them back.
Yes you are right , with high fuel costs may need to hit coyotes harder to pay expenses.
It's not bringing them back to where I want them but it has made a huge difference. Seen way more elk with calves than ever before. See way more moose and moose sign as well. Hopefully the next few years goes well untill the wolf numbers get back up. Those wolves sure don't reproduce liek coyotes so hopefully it takes a half dozen years for them to repopulate