Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-23-2018, 08:49 PM

Default Changes to WMU 248 & WMU 250 boundaries!

Critical info to note if you hunt north of Fort Sask and Bruderheim.

"2018 Hunting Regulations Update
Lands previously in Strathcona County and within WMU 250 have been transferred to WMU 248. This increases hunting opportunities in the area that previously fell within WMU 250.
Please refer to our map below under “Rights of landowners” for the updated boundaries."

https://www.strathcona.ca/agricultur...thcona-county/
Old 10-23-2018, 09:38 PM

Yup always check the changes...some guys are going to get in trouble using a rifle in the bow zone this year if they don’t pay attention

LC
Old 10-23-2018, 10:29 PM

I hate this. Land I own, I can now only use a shotgun on. Brutal.
Old 10-24-2018, 01:20 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
But, “This will increase hunting opportunities in the area......”

Thank you for posting this change.
Old 10-24-2018, 08:03 AM

Buy a bow! The trophy quality of your deer will increase a bunch in the next few years.
Old 10-24-2018, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Buy a bow! The trophy quality of your deer will increase a bunch in the next few years.
That’s not necessarily true, if it’s his land the only thing that will increase trophy quality is proper management of habitat and game, that can be done with any weapon it just needs a selective hunter.
Old 10-24-2018, 08:17 AM

Quote:
I had wondered if this would effect you! Can still shoot coyotes with a rifle, BUT 248 rules disallow a .22 for grouse! Some strange rules we have.

LC
Old 10-24-2018, 08:19 AM

Yet, a First Nations hunter who I have given permission to, can use a rifle to whack a moose. Please explain how this makes sense???
Old 10-24-2018, 08:50 AM

Insane. Thanks for posting.
Old 10-24-2018, 09:02 AM

Quote:
The only consolation prize is you get an extra 3 tags for the Strathcona hunt....
Old 10-24-2018, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Yet, a First Nations hunter who I have given permission to, can use a rifle to whack a moose. Please explain how this makes sense???
It makes no sense, and it is one reason why some landowners that I know, only allow licensed hunters on their property. As one of them put it" nobody will have more rights on my land than I do".
Old 10-24-2018, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
It makes no sense, and it is one reason why some landowners that I know, only allow licensed hunters on their property. As one of them put it" nobody will have more rights on my land than I do".
The First Nations fellow I have given permission to buys all his tags just the same as you or I do. In fact, he is also a bowhunter. Even though I have given him exclusive hunting permission, he still checks in with me at the beginning of the season, and in our conversation of the changes to 248 rules, he mentioned that should he choose, he is still allowed to use a rifle.

BTW, my point is not a First Nations slam, as this guy pays more in taxes than I do.

But it is a slam on the hypocrisy of hunting regulations.
Old 10-24-2018, 11:51 AM

It does seem a bit odd, especially noting that the new area under WMU 248 is mainly mule deer habitat. So actually for many this will decrease opportunity as mule deer are bow only in 248.

P.S Shotgun ain't all that bad. I'm comfortable with mine to 150yards and I rarely would use my CF rifle much beyond that anyways.
Old 10-24-2018, 02:45 PM

I thought First Nations people are subject to same rules regarding use of firearms? Can anyone post a link where it states this? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-24-2018, 03:03 PM

Quote:
The First Nations fellow I have given permission to buys all his tags just the same as you or I do. In fact, he is also a bowhunter. Even though I have given him exclusive hunting permission, he still checks in with me at the beginning of the season, and in our conversation of the changes to 248 rules, he mentioned that should he choose, he is still allowed to use a rifle.

BTW, my point is not a First Nations slam, as this guy pays more in taxes than I do.

But it is a slam on the hypocrisy of hunting regulations.
My post is not a slam on first nations hunters either, but rather it expresses the feelings of a group of landowners whose property I used to hunt on. These landowners feel that since they hold the title, and they pay the taxes, nobody should have more rights on their property than they do. And I agree, it is sheer stupidity that once a landowner gives access to someone, that person has more rights on the property than the landowner does. A landowner should never have less rights on his own land.

The restriction on center fire rifles, is supposedly to make it safer in this wmu, but given that some people can use center fire rifles proves that the safety argument is asinine.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 10-24-2018 at 03:18 PM.
Old 10-24-2018, 09:43 PM

Can you say "It's a **** show!"
Old 10-24-2018, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Rifled barrel shotgun you can shoot 100+ yards with the accuracy of a rifle
Old 10-25-2018, 10:10 AM

Quote:
he mentioned that should he choose, he is still allowed to use a rifle.....

And should he choose to use a rifle, you can revoke permission should you choose. You’re not at his mercy. Sounds like you have a respectful relationship but this one point did make me wonder if it’s expected he can do what he chooses.
If you don’t want someone using a rifle because of the possible complaint against the new rules or if the rules were changed because of safety reasons or whatever.
I know I wouldn’t want any attention or possible newsworthy complaint if I were in that situation. Sounds like he has PLENTY of options other than your land anyway.
Just a thought.
Old 10-25-2018, 11:42 AM

We have a great relationship. I am going to let him know that should he choose to take a moose with a rifle, 1/4 of it would need to be going to a needy family, and it would need to be a bull. No cows.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kujoseto View Post
And should he choose to use a rifle, you can revoke permission should you choose. You’re not at his mercy. Sounds like you have a respectful relationship but this one point did make me wonder if it’s expected he can do what he chooses.
If you don’t want someone using a rifle because of the possible complaint against the new rules or if the rules were changed because of safety reasons or whatever.
I know I wouldn’t want any attention or possible newsworthy complaint if I were in that situation. Sounds like he has PLENTY of options other than your land anyway.
Just a thought.
Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old 10-25-2018, 11:45 AM

Well this thread went a little sideways but I'm sure there's been a bunch guys trying for moose with their bows in the natural area!
I have permission on a quarter up that way but not sure if I'll head up there as I have good WT permission closer to home.
Old 10-25-2018, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timsesink View Post
Well this thread went a little sideways but I'm sure there's been a bunch guys trying for moose with their bows in the natural area!
I have permission on a quarter up that way but not sure if I'll head up there as I have good WT permission closer to home.
Is that the natural area that gets hammered by quads and dirt bikes?

LC
Old 10-25-2018, 12:59 PM

It appears parts of the Bruderheim natural area have been affected, has the land physically changed hands to become county land? If it has that would mean hunting is no longer allowed at all. Or was it just a boundary change and the provincial government still owns the land? I don't hunt there anymore but overheard a few guys discussing it today and they seemed quite confused.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 10-25-2018, 01:46 PM

I would think it's the latter. Still provincial land just like the other NA's in Strathcona county. Simply a boundary change in the WMU, it was always within Strathcona county.
Old 10-25-2018, 03:41 PM

Just the boundary changed, what was in Strathcona 250 is now switch to an extended 248.

It’s simple...the whole county is in 248 now, before part of it was 250.

https://www.strathcona.ca/agricultur...thcona-county/

LC
Old 10-25-2018, 03:58 PM

The changes were made due to safety concerns by the locals living in the area. They had been trying to have the changes made for years.

As for first nations. There is alot of warnings and new information given out this year. Hunters that do not need to go by the regulations such as status will not be aware of the new change. The fish and wildlife are hammering the area hard this year. Const Loretta informed me that in strathcona county.. a subsistence hunter.. can still use a centerfire rifle for big game, in designated areas.
Now, this new re designation to 248, was cause due to a Public safety concern. Which in turn, overrides the ability to use center fires for big game by status hunters in a specific region of the new wmu248 zoning. The info given had too many loop holes and did further resarch and got the best hard facts i could find from const. Morgan , who will be patrolling the area quiet heavy this year.

( I and some others know when alot of bad seeds come out, and where they like to sit and hide, so gladly filled in the fiah and wildlife of all the hotspots and must check areas.)

It is a bow, shotgun, muzzleloader , and crossbow zone. No biggy. But nice that once informed and heavier inforced next year, some particular status groups that travel a good distance wont come anymore in August to clear out the moose pop.

Which btw.. 2 weeks ago...astatus hunter took a shot at a huge bull moose this year in this area.. 3 times. The moose didnt drop, and they drove away. Some other hunters found it 60 yards in bush. And f&w came to collect it. Very sad in this area. And peopme wonder why most deer come out at night. Lol
Old 10-25-2018, 05:23 PM
Banned

We used to own a full section of land in Strathcona county and on the south side of the train tracks was 248 and north was 242. I would pack both rifle and shotgun and I had a blast because I owed on both sides of the tracks for a half mile.