Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-20-2020, 07:25 PM

Default Financial Planner/Advisor

Hey guys,

Basically just wondering if anyone has had a good experience or can recommend a financial planner for my wife and I? I’m 33 and my wife is 28. We have a good understanding of budgeting, basic to intermediate knowledge of investing and a relatively decent idea of our future goals. Just looking for someone more or less to see if we are on track, someone to help guide us for certain decisions (big purchase etc), someone we can bounce questions off of and possibly give some intel on individual stocks and review existing investments.

What is the going rate now a days? I’ve also heard horror stories on who you can and can’t trust.

Any info or tips would be appreciated!

Thanks
Old 10-20-2020, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuck View Post
Hey guys,

Basically just wondering if anyone has had a good experience or can recommend a financial planner for my wife and I? I’m 33 and my wife is 28. We have a good understanding of budgeting, basic to intermediate knowledge of investing and a relatively decent idea of our future goals. Just looking for someone more or less to see if we are on track, someone to help guide us for certain decisions (big purchase etc), someone we can bounce questions off of and possibly give some intel on individual stocks and review existing investments.

What is the going rate now a days? I’ve also heard horror stories on who you can and can’t trust.

Any info or tips would be appreciated!

Thanks
Get a good one. No Mutual fund salesman. Here example this guys site.
Greater fool. Garth Turner (former MP Canada and acting finance minister for short time).
Usually depending on how much invest around 1% of your portfolio. Ranges (1.25-0.75) depending how much investment. Get good guys/gals. There likely good investment manager in Edmonton/Calgary.
Micheal Campbell “MoneyTalk “ should throw you couple leads.

https://mikesmoneytalks.ca/

https://www.greaterfool.ca/
Old 10-20-2020, 08:12 PM

Find a fee only advisor. Interview a few to find one you connect well with. Depending on you net worth and investment goals, going self directed may be the easiest and cheapest method if you're willing to spend some time learning. Questrade is a good option for this, others may have suggestions too.

Stay away from World Financial Group at all costs. It's a multi level marketing outfit and a scam. A google search and a search on the personalfinancecanada reddit will explain it all.
Old 10-20-2020, 08:32 PM

PM sent
Old 10-20-2020, 08:41 PM

Fiduciary/Portfolio manager. Look for those terms when paying for advice. Or take a serious, serious effort to educate yourself. We learned the hard way very early on thank goodness. Seen a couple disaster stories first hand of crap portfolios built buy financial planners. Lousy diversification, risk levels way out of wack and ridiculously high fees being paid. Pretty brutal what has gone on in that industry in the past.
Old 10-20-2020, 08:58 PM

I have done well sticking with my bank. TD and Royal have very solid funds and experienced fund managers. Banks do offer good financial planning.
Old 10-20-2020, 09:26 PM

Default Tough call

I don't think you are looking for a financial planner, rather an unbiased review of current situation and future goals. In the past I have used Rose Raimundo, she is a private gal that will do a review of your situation and some simple future value calcs. Google her, she is located in NW Calgary.

Key steps, regardless of who you choose:
-know your spending, we keep track of any expenditure over about $10 in something called the Money Book (binder stored on the island in the kitchen). Month end I total up the spend and allocate into some categories (Transportation, food, utilities) and try to figure out if the spends are one-time (Don't expect to have the same expenditure within 3 months) or recurring (will have similar within 3 months).
-Know your income, again keep track in the money book, all cash flowing into the household every month
-Figure out what is discretionary spend...not saying to not spend it but it is the first thing to go if you need to tighten the belt.
-Try to spread out large one time expenses over some time. For example, I put my daughters driving lessons ($1000) on my Visa and spread that expense over 2 billing cycles at no cost to me.
-Plan for any large expenses (like Xmas) and spread them out as much as possible. I'm about half done my Xmas shopping already.

The challenge with retirement saving is most folks start late and need to save huge sums in order to retire. Set aside cash early, let it compound, avoid fees unless they give you access to investments nobody else can get, monitor growth and adjust risk levels to match, be realistic with cost of living (nobody wants to eat cat food in their retirement) and above all...start early. Avoid MLMs (multi level marketing, WFG et al) firms that are useless and self serving.

There are some real wise cookies on this site, tap into their guidance...Dean2, I'm lookin at you

Zeke

PS. did I mention start early?
Old 10-21-2020, 11:36 AM

Default Financial planning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigsalot View Post
I have done well sticking with my bank. TD and Royal have very solid funds and experienced fund managers. Banks do offer good financial planning.
I fully agree. There is no direct fee for consultation etc---their fee is built into their mutual fund fees. Most major financial planners only deal with people who have investments in the 6 figures and higher.
Old 10-20-2020, 09:17 PM

You'll do better (or as well) with a DIY approach. There's nothing complicated about financial planning if you follow some basic rules. I suggest the financial section of the Globe and Mail: Rob Carrick for example. The book by David Chilton - The Wealthy Barber: The Common Sense Guide to Successful Financial Planning is an easy to follow set of guidelines. I've used it for over 30 years. Any advice you pay for will cost a lot & no advisor can beat the markets. Use exchange traded funds (Carrick puts out a list every year). Keep your fees low or they will eat up your savings. Bottom line: no advisor has a crystal ball. Sure they can give you their opinion but ask another advisor and there's a high likelihood of a different perspective.
Old 10-21-2020, 08:27 PM

Geez after reading this I get the impression I am as welcome and liked here as Trudeau.
Lol

I will always answer genuine questions if someone cares to PM, but I do not think posting it all over here will be of any help.
I will say the cautions made of some specific companies are probably well founded, but every profession/trade/company is going to have good ones and bad ones. I tell my friends and family to avoid the same names above.

Ultimately every client needs to find the advisor they trust. They cannot do their best job for you if you do not see from them what earns your trust.
Old 10-21-2020, 10:38 PM

My experience... I have had one good advisor through a bank. A number of not good advisors through banks. (Any that are good get moved up the ranks quickly onto bigger and better). We interviewed a few others and didn’t have much luck. We finally got an opportunity through a great friend and his advisor, and we can’t be happier with the change. A good advisor that understands your situation and mindset is priceless. What I found is the banks were holding our opportunities to earn back, while charging higher fees. One thing you don’t see is how much they actually charge, as they are able to hide some fees that others outside the banks are not.

It’s worth it to shop around and find the right one for you.