Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-15-2017, 10:45 AM

Default Has anyone been in Wholesale this week?

Just wondering if anyone has been in Wholesale and if you noticed if there are any propane smokers left. Want to buy a new one but dont want a 2 hour drive if they are out. Tried calling Edmonton south but they wont tell me whats in stock. I was told to come and see for myself.
Thanks in Advance for replies.

Les
Old 11-15-2017, 03:00 PM

I've only been once since the announcement, and only bought some ammo I needed anyway. Nothing else of interest. I figure they way things were going, they must be up to discounts of ... oh... 12% or 14% by now???

No great bargains here.
Old 11-15-2017, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
I've only been once since the announcement, and only bought some ammo I needed anyway. Nothing else of interest. I figure they way things were going, they must be up to discounts of ... oh... 12% or 14% by now???

No great bargains here.
Close ... all ammo 20% off now. Bought some yesterday at Edmonton North
Old 11-15-2017, 03:50 PM

I bought a couple hundred dollars worth of hooks and a few lures for the upcoming salmon and tuna seasons. I also bought a 4 piece tuna rod for what should be retail not massive overpriced then knocked down.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 11-15-2017, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lattery1 View Post
Just wondering if anyone has been in Wholesale and if you noticed if there are any propane smokers left. Want to buy a new one but dont want a 2 hour drive if they are out. Tried calling Edmonton south but they wont tell me whats in stock. I was told to come and see for myself.

Les
I saw they had a couple at the south end location when I was there last week
Old 11-15-2017, 04:23 PM

Do they (south EDM) still have the heavier brown sleeping bags they had a few weeks ago?
Old 11-15-2017, 06:19 PM

More ammo in stock today in Calgary. 20% off all ammo
Old 11-15-2017, 07:57 PM

Stopped by the one in Langley BC the other day and suddenly I was flashing back to Zellers in Richmond Center 1979...
Not slagging the store (no sale sports) but that was the first thing that popped into my mind
when I walked in the front doors.
Hadnt been in the store since just before summer either.
Rob
Old 11-15-2017, 08:06 PM

I'm heading to Edmonton tomorrow and can pick one up if they have it. PM incoming
Old 11-16-2017, 09:40 AM

Was in WSS, Calgary, the other day, and heard two gun counter staff bragging to a customer about how rude they have been to other customers. Said they don't have to offer good customer service any more.....
Don't recall good customer service there before the liquidation sale.
JH
Old 11-16-2017, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lattery1 View Post

Les
I bought a camp chef propane smoker last night at the WSS @ South Edmonton Common. 20% off as of last night. I have been watching the discount come down slowly the last few weeks. They have 12 or 13 left in the store. I talked to a couple of guys that were looking also, and we all work on the south side so been stopping in once a week to check pricing.
Old 11-17-2017, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lund17 View Post
I bought a camp chef propane smoker last night at the WSS @ South Edmonton Common. 20% off as of last night. I have been watching the discount come down slowly the last few weeks. They have 12 or 13 left in the store. I talked to a couple of guys that were looking also, and we all work on the south side so been stopping in once a week to check pricing.
Happen to see what they had for ice augers? Ive been to the north location, wondering if its any different.
Old 11-17-2017, 01:04 PM

I went for a short walk in the South store this morning, a total waste of time. I was surprised at how much they have sold with such small discounts.
Old 11-17-2017, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Henry View Post
Was in WSS, Calgary, the other day, and heard two gun counter staff bragging to a customer about how rude they have been to other customers. Said they don't have to offer good customer service any more.....
Don't recall good customer service there before the liquidation sale.
JH
The guy at the north Edmonton handgun display was just excellent as are Clay and the boys in fishing.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 11-17-2017, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I went for a short walk in the South store this morning, a total waste of time. I was surprised at how much they have sold with such small discounts.
That has been my experience. I have been watching the prices and comparing with all the other suspects and pretty much everything I am interested in can be found cheaper or roughly the same somewhere else. The routine sale prices at Cabelas and Crappy Tire are much better than anything I have seen at this liquidation. But hey, if it was me I would try and get every last little bit out of the stock as well.

They have posted a sign saying the last day - sometime in December after Christmas I think. Apparently, the guy at the gun counter said, there are lots of us vultures waiting to strike in the final weeks.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-17-2017, 04:05 PM

Calgary is starting to look more like a liquidation world. Couple isles of junk stuff that was never products that wholesale sold. Prices in a liquidation solrd are usually higher than buying at walmart sooo..

Even with pretty crappy "sales" lots of the good gear is gone. They still have a pile of Sitka gear at 25% off but I can still buy it cheaper an hour south of my place. The sale prices didnt impress me at all, things are still cheaper at CT/Cabelas.
Old 11-17-2017, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongBomber View Post
Calgary is starting to look more like a liquidation world. Couple isles of junk stuff that was never products that wholesale sold. Prices in a liquidation solrd are usually higher than buying at walmart sooo..

Even with pretty crappy "sales" lots of the good gear is gone. They still have a pile of Sitka gear at 25% off but I can still buy it cheaper an hour south of my place. The sale prices didnt impress me at all, things are still cheaper at CT/Cabelas.
yeah the grande prairie one looks the same, still lots of stuff but there are isles of blankets and pillows now that weren't there before
Old 11-17-2017, 04:13 PM
Banned

Was in there last week, they had a dude out standing on the side of the road with a sign that read 50% off. Went in, walked every aisle and not one item was 50% off, nothing more than a ploy to get people in the door who might grab an already marked up item that claims 20% off.

Shysters to the end.
Old 11-17-2017, 04:36 PM

There gun prices are starting to come down, I have been shopping for my first rifle at multiple places and most of the guns I have been looking at are now slightly cheaper at wholesale then any other shop I have been too.

That said the right sale at Cabelas or bass pro would probably be better, but if I was buying today wholesale has the best price.
Old 11-17-2017, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roderek View Post
There gun prices are starting to come down, I have been shopping for my first rifle at multiple places and most of the guns I have been looking at are now slightly cheaper at wholesale then any other shop I have been too.

That said the right sale at Cabelas or bass pro would probably be better, but if I was buying today wholesale has the best price.

I noticed a lot of their firearms spiked in price a lot before the sale percentage went up..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-17-2017, 05:14 PM

Anyone notice if they have any of the liberty gun safes available at any of the stores?
Old 11-17-2017, 06:08 PM

That is typically what stores do, they increase the regular price and slap a % off on it to make it more enticing. Gotta know your prices thats for sure.
Old 11-19-2017, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunting4? View Post
Anyone notice if they have any of the liberty gun safes available at any of the stores?
They had a bunch in Calgary. I will likely go by there this week. If you are looking for a particular size I can grab the price if they will not give to you over the phone. I think they are 25% off msrp... not sure if this is a good deal or not.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-19-2017, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksman View Post
yeah the grande prairie one looks the same, still lots of stuff but there are isles of blankets and pillows now that weren't there before
Noticed that kind of stuff too. Obviously the liquidator they have contracted to sell out the remaining stock has moved some of their own crap in. I expect it will get worse, perhaps we will see old lady clothes from Sears in there at the end. LOL
Old 11-19-2017, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROA View Post
Noticed that kind of stuff too. Obviously the liquidator they have contracted to sell out the remaining stock has moved some of their own crap in. I expect it will get worse, perhaps we will see old lady clothes from Sears in there at the end. LOL
Well the end must be here in Saskatoon, whether its Sears or all the other WSS. Racks and racks of jackets (black,blue and dark green). Ammo shelves are nearly empty.
Old 11-19-2017, 12:36 PM

I work part time at WSS. There weren't any price increases before the sale went on. The announcement came as a shock to everyone, store managers included. The stores closed an hour or so into the morning of the announcement, and the store reopened with the "closing down sale" the morning after. Think of all the work it would take to re-price all of the merchandise - there simply was not enough time.

Now I will say that some of the sales that were on prior to the "closing down sale" were in fact better than the current sale. For example, a lot of clothing was 40% off prior the the announcement.

I had a guy come in and tell me the regular price of the Marcum VS485 at Cabela's was lower than the 25% off sale price at Wholesale. I called his bluff and showed him the regular price on the computer, which happened to be the EXACT same regular price as at Wholesale. "Oh, I meant I saw one cheaper on eBay."
Old 11-19-2017, 01:02 PM

I think that this can be a great thread if we the members, manage it properly.

Because WSS won't answer the phones, send out a flyer or update their web site, then it is up to us to pass on some of the sale items and the new discounts/savings to AO members.

This way maybe, it can save you a trip down or motivate to drive down there; sort of a FYI to everyone...

An example of this to make my point, only; (the % are not fact)

I was down to WSS today and here is what I saw for pricing...;
Ammo 15% off
Clothing 25% off
Optics 10% off
Fishing 40% off

Etc......

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 11-19-2017, 03:12 PM

Just bought a MOSSBERG 590 stock for 50% off , deals are slowly getting better ...... Slowly.....
Old 11-19-2017, 03:45 PM

A salesman I know from the Calgary store told me that Thursday they were going to have a pre Black Friday sale and firearms and ammo may be up to 35% off.
Old 11-19-2017, 03:46 PM
Banned

Bought 3 handguns yesterday for decent prices for sure. Witnessed brutal/horrible customer service from the old bald guy at the gun counter. Two new shooters wanted a hand picking a gun. Sure they took a bit longer than the rest of May have but the counter guy was the worst employee I have ever seen. The two guys who helped me were awesome. The old guy should be fired and no package for the bum.