Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-14-2017, 05:18 PM

Thumbs down Gasbuddy says fill up today. 10c forecast price hike for Edmonton

Buy now or wait it out?

EdmontonPre-Hike Average
Price Hike AlertProjected Average
121.9 +/- 1.2

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 11-14-2017, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Buy now or wait it out?

EdmontonPre-Hike Average
Price Hike AlertProjected Average
121.9 +/- 1.2
Cheap. We have 128.9 right now. Down from 130 4 days ago.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:58 PM
Banned

Oil must be at $110/barrel.
Old 11-14-2017, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Oil must be at $110/barrel.
Didn't you get the memo?
Oil price has nothing to do with gas prices.
Oh wait, that was when oil prices are on the way down...going up makes all the difference. My bad.
Carry on.
Old 11-15-2017, 05:52 AM

we have had 1.25/L for over a week now in the Hat,
Brutal, and right at hunting season
Old 11-15-2017, 08:11 AM

It just went up from 99.9 here at Meadow lake to $1.14.9 about 2 weeks ago, so far we are still at that price...the big oil and gas must be taking a page outa our govt and all the new taxes they have imposed and or thinking about imposing, gouge gouge gouge...profits will be soaring to all time highs pretty quick, sending so many of us to the poor house...I believe we are in a love/ hate relationship....we love to drive everywhere...but we hate to pay for high priced gas...there is no winning, never will be!
Zip

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 11-15-2017, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip View Post
It just went up from 99.9 here at Meadow lake to $1.14.9 about 2 weeks ago, so far we are still at that price...the big oil and gas must be taking a page outa our govt and all the new taxes they have imposed and or thinking about imposing, gouge gouge gouge...profits will be soaring to all time highs pretty quick, sending so many of us to the poor house...I believe we are in a love/ hate relationship....we love to drive everywhere...but we hate to pay for high priced gas...there is no winning, never will be!
Zip
Perception versus fact can be polar opposites.

Perception is gas should remain cheap like in Venezuela.

Fact is businesses need to make money to survive. Fact is no oil company is gouging and no oil company is making unreasonable profits.

Fact. Returns on investment is low in the oil patch and investors are staying away.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 11-15-2017, 05:34 PM

Gas Buddy spends more time justifying the price increases than they do pointing out to the companies that because an American refinery shuts down for maintenance it should not effect our refining and pricing.
Old 11-16-2017, 05:53 PM

Gas buddy is more of an justifier vs an explainer

I like that roger mcknight from enpro international. Sums up supply and demand and will straight up say the marketing is running the price up if it doesnt have much justification.

The run to 1.25 was just companies selling for what they can.

Fact is as witer moves in gasoline output at a refiner goes up, you mix in more lighter stuff so you get more gasoline that way and when diesel etc is dewaxed to meet dropping cloud point more naptha is produced as a byproduct. Each refiner is probably spitting out atleast a few thousand extra barrels of gasoline everyday.

More gasoline output, cheaper to make the stuff, assuming oil stays static gasoline should dribble down into the end of the year and maybe even january.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79ford View Post
Gas buddy is more of an justifier vs an explainer

I like that roger mcknight from enpro international. Sums up supply and demand and will straight up say the marketing is running the price up if it doesnt have much justification.

The run to 1.25 was just companies selling for what they can.

Fact is as witer moves in gasoline output at a refiner goes up, you mix in more lighter stuff so you get more gasoline that way and when diesel etc is dewaxed to meet dropping cloud point more naptha is produced as a byproduct. Each refiner is probably spitting out atleast a few thousand extra barrels of gasoline everyday.

More gasoline output, cheaper to make the stuff, assuming oil stays static gasoline should dribble down into the end of the year and maybe even january.

It always amazes me how prices in Canada seem to move in unison, yet in the USA, one can see prices vary by as much as .25 on stations across the street from each other.
Old 11-17-2017, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
It always amazes me how prices in Canada seem to move in unison, yet in the USA, one can see prices vary by as much as .25 on stations across the street from each other.
Can you imagine the reaction there would be stateside if gas prices went up 50 cents a gallon overnight like they did here a couple of weeks ago?? I think in that same time frame, prices in Montana went up about 5 cents a gallon versus the 12 cents a litre we saw. BOHICA
Old 11-17-2017, 12:07 PM

Western canada is pretty evenly supplied. Refiners go flat out and consumers gobble it all up yet fuel is cheap enough that no one can rail in usa products and sell them and make a profit worth while
Old 11-17-2017, 12:25 PM

The price also has alot to do with humans burning oil products willy nilly.... i am sitting at a window having lunch and i see two 5.4 liter f-150's, two hemi dodges, a suburban, a 350 horse luxury suv, a few other suv's and the only remotely fuel efficient thing in the parking lot is my 300 horsepower car and a dodge charger with a hemi just pulled up.

Aint the oil companies problem most peoples idea of efficiency in alberta is getting a bigger gas tank to drive more kilometers per tank, hahahaha!

Dont like the price dont burn it... refiners are dumb(economically) they produce flat out all day everyday, price goes down...flat out, price goes up flat out. Only thing that slows a refinery down is storage tank space. They go hard to make every drop. Humans seem to burn enough fuel to keep the plants running full tilt.

This is where you find competition.... if you got a new refinery that would saturate the market plus create an export to foreign destinations. The incentive to sell local vs sell abroad would chew down our local price to as close to what a refiner can make it for