Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-13-2017, 07:02 PM

Default Morons and Ground Blind Setups

Sorry no pics because I was either to flabbergasted or too po'd to take any.

Came across two manned ground blinds while bush hunting crown land this past week.

Blind #1) Set 20 feet off lease road in ditch. Lease road + ditch = max 35 yards. Heavy bush to edge of ditch on both sides. Set 2/3 of the way up a decent grade hill. Only view was road and 10 yards of ditch either side for 200 yards uphill, and road and 10 yards of ditch either side downhill for 400 yards. No intersecting cut-lines to look down within a half mile either direction. Only potential for shooting was animals crossing the road and ditches.

To cap it off the bottom of the downhill portion of the road made a sharp bend entering from the treeline. In other words idiotstick in blind was either shooting uphill 200 yards in which case a miss could result in someone taking a bullet 1 - 2 miles away or an oncoming vehicle talking one through the windshield, OR, he could plaster a vehicle coming around the bend to the straightaway coming up the hill. Same potentials for disaster.

Blind #2 set 10 feet off narrow lease road in basically non existent ditch. Bush to within 10 feet of road/ditch both sides. Did not see his blind until we were practically right on it meaning he couldn't see us until we were practically right on him. Again, no cut-line views. Just east and west along road and minimal ditch. All potential shots up and down the road allowance.

Did I miss the memo that said it's ok to put up a ground blind in a ditch that isn't looking down a cut-line running perpendicular to said road? Who the hell wants to sit 3-10 yards from a road all day with vehicles driving past so close they could peg you with a tossed beer bottle if so inclined? (fyi, I don't drink but that was two times I wish I did so I'd have some ammo)

I went from incredulous to angry in a short time period. Theres nothing quite like driving along a road and coming up on an occupied blind with an idiot inside pointing his gun in your general direction while you pray a deer doesn't decide to cross between you.

So two questions. 1) Are these guys that have watched a little too much Wild TV whitetail hunting on Texas game farms, and 2) Is is legal to fire a bear banger into a manned ground blind set up adjacent to a road?
Old 11-13-2017, 07:17 PM

Yes, and yes but only if you film it and post the video here

That being said, "paved, oiled, graded, or regularly maintained"...there are some roads to reclaimed sites that fall outside those definitions and are legal to hunt on. If you know for a fact they are maintained, it would be with a call to f&w. Last thing we need is another hunting season incident.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:18 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post

Came across two manned ground blinds while bush hunting crown land this past week.

Blind #1) Set 20 feet off lease road in ditch. Lease road + ditch = max 35 yards. Heavy bush to edge of ditch on both sides. Set 2/3 of the way up a decent grade hill. Only view was road and 10 yards of ditch either side for 200 yards uphill, and road and 10 yards of ditch either side downhill for 400 yards. No intersecting cut-lines to look down within a half mile either direction. Only potential for shooting was animals crossing the road and ditches.

To cap it off the bottom of the downhill portion of the road made a sharp bend entering from the treeline. In other words idiotstick in blind was either shooting uphill 200 yards in which case a miss could result in someone taking a bullet 1 - 2 miles away or an oncoming vehicle talking one through the windshield, OR, he could plaster a vehicle coming around the bend to the straightaway coming up the hill. Same potentials for disaster.

Blind #2 set 10 feet off narrow lease road in basically non existent ditch. Bush to within 10 feet of road/ditch both sides. Did not see his blind until we were practically right on it meaning he couldn't see us until we were practically right on him. Again, no cut-line views. Just east and west along road and minimal ditch. All potential shots up and down the road allowance.

Did I miss the memo that said it's ok to put up a ground blind in a ditch that isn't looking down a cut-line running perpendicular to said road? Who the hell wants to sit 3-10 yards from a road all day with vehicles driving past so close they could peg you with a tossed beer bottle if so inclined? (fyi, I don't drink but that was two times I wish I did so I'd have some ammo)

I went from incredulous to angry in a short time period. Theres nothing quite like driving along a road and coming up on an occupied blind with an idiot inside pointing his gun in your general direction while you pray a deer doesn't decide to cross between you.

So two questions. 1) Are these guys that have watched a little too much Wild TV whitetail hunting on Texas game farms, and 2) Is is legal to fire a bear banger into a manned ground blind set up adjacent to a road?
So were you "bush" hunting or road hunting?
Old 11-13-2017, 07:25 PM
Banned

I see it all the time lol I've seen where they set up right off lease which I prefer then them sitting inside my separator shacks lol
Old 11-13-2017, 07:26 PM
Banned

Good ole ditch hunters, seen some today only shot they have is across a fairly busy twp road onto private land in wmu 334
Old 11-13-2017, 07:35 PM

Ditch hunters are just sophisticated road hunters, worked up a sweat setting up that blind!
Old 11-13-2017, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicktricker View Post
I see it all the time lol I've seen where they set up right off lease which I prefer then them sitting inside my separator shacks lol
Fricken lazy operators around here never have the cat heaters lit, too cold in the shacks to use as blinds. And what’s with the annoying hissing sloshing toilet flushing sounds going on in there all day?

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 11-13-2017, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
So were you "bush" hunting or road hunting?
Driving up road to out of service lease at which point we would exit vehicle and walk onto adjoining cut line.

Do you use a vehicle to get to a starting point for hunting or just walk from home to the zone you're going to hunt in?

And what does your question have to do with ground blinds on a lease road?

Don't get all righteous with me re truck hunting ok? Anytime you'd like to compare miles walked this fall you let me know.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyreefer View Post
Fricken lazy operators around here never have the cat heaters lit, too cold in the shacks to use as blinds. And what’s with the annoying hissing sloshing toilet flushing sounds going on in there all day?

I have to check out hunting from a doghouse one of these days. Warm and toasty. Enough leg room if you scrunch up a bit.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:59 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Driving up road to out of service lease at which point we would exit vehicle and walk onto adjoining cut line.

Do you use a vehicle to get to a starting point for hunting or just walk from home to the zone you're going to hunt in?

Don't get all righteous with me re truck hunting ok? Anytime you'd like to compare miles walked this fall you let me know.
Don't get your knickers in a knot little man..it just seemed strange to me that there would be 2 ground blinds set up on the same lease road.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:59 PM

The forum is sure full of bitching and complaining this time of year.

Marshall McLuhan
Old 11-13-2017, 08:00 PM
Banned

Quote:

What wmu was this in? Sounds like some guys my friends tried to force me to hunt with. If it was Hinton area or Barrhead area then sounds like them
Old 11-13-2017, 08:00 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
the forum is sure full of bitching and complaining this time of year.
x2 !
Old 11-13-2017, 08:09 PM

Quote:

Gee, a bit tense? Maybe One of these fine ground blind ditch hunters are offering special services to ease your tension. Maybe stop and ask next time...
Old 11-13-2017, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
Don't get your knickers in a knot little man..it just seemed strange to me that there would be 2 ground blinds set up on the same lease road.

Wasn't the same lease road Hal. They were 15 miles apart so apparently idiots grow on trees. They just don't hunt in them.

Now we're going to compare our sizes? What's next...Your dad vs my dad?
Old 11-13-2017, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archercurt View Post
Gee, a bit tense? Maybe One of these fine ground blind ditch hunters are offering special services to ease your tension. Maybe stop and ask next time...
Not tense at all actually. A tad irksome when the self righteous "backpack to and from home when we aren't on quads to hunt" throw their two cents in is all.

These weren't my kind of guys anyways. I go for the intelligent unarmed ones.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloszz View Post
What wmu was this in? Sounds like some guys my friends tried to force me to hunt with. If it was Hinton area or Barrhead area then sounds like them
Mid 346.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Lol. Wait till the hunting season is over!

Knock this crap off. Now.

Obviously a couple of microsoft developers.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Knock this crap off. Now.

Okey doke.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arty View Post
Obviously a couple of microsoft developers.

I think one was crocheting. Can't be sure tho.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:38 PM

The only big Deer I have ever seen was while driving to and from my hunting site.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctd View Post
The only big Deer I have ever seen was while driving to and from my hunting site.
You little truck hunter you. Public flogging ordered.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:11 PM
Banned

I walk to my hunting place. Got a heated ground blind beside the road as well. Works good should try it.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Mid 346.
Hmm... were they around the Edson area? I know of two hunters that love to sit in ground blinds around Obed.
Old 11-14-2017, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Every year it happens I can’t understand why it’s so important to discredit others .
Old 11-14-2017, 05:42 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaver hunter View Post
Ditch hunters are just sophisticated road hunters, worked up a sweat setting up that blind!
Then jump on thier sleds and go ditch banging...later that night it's another type of banging....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-14-2017, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by last minute View Post
Every year it happens I can’t understand why it’s so important to discredit others .

Discrediting dangerous hunting practices is part of preserving the right to hunt no? Too many cases of people getting shot by those that have no clue.

I'd always heard one of the cardinal rules was not to shoot down or across roads but maybe you don't see any possible ramifications to those actions.
Old 11-14-2017, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
I walk to my hunting place. Got a heated ground blind beside the road as well. Works good should try it.

If I was fortunate enough to own my own land or have permission to hunt others nearby I certainly would. Unfortunately theres not much legal hunting land for me to trek to from the west edge of Edmonton.

Parkland county and Enoch reserve aren't good options.