Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-12-2017, 09:24 AM

Default Lead sled

Can anyone give me any info on a lead sled how are they for sighting in rifles pros/cons
Old 11-12-2017, 09:31 AM

A Led Sled is the biggest waste of money you'll ever spend. IMO.

Go invest in a proper front rest and rear bag if you're looking for an actual bench shooting set up.

Then there's the broken stock issues, and bad shooting form they induce.

There are no absolutes
Old 11-12-2017, 10:08 AM

While Dick has a point, I do like mine to use as a point of reference. It helps in differentiating what accuracy issues might be due to you rather than due to the firearm/scope alignment. For instance I’d rather have the scope zeroed to the rifle than zeroed to my flinch. Once I’ve zeroed the rifle using the lead sled I will then shoot unassisted to learn to mimic the same POI.
Old 11-12-2017, 10:14 AM

Default Mixed feelings on it

I own one, truth is I find it awkward to shoot from. That said if you have a hard recoiling rifle to sight in it does reduce the felt recoil significantly I don’t think anyone would argue that point. I would sell mine if you are interested as I gave up on big caliber rifles.

Ken
Old 11-12-2017, 10:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post

Go invest in a proper front rest and rear bag if you're looking for an actual bench shooting set up.

I have used a sled, as well as bags and every other imaginable rest. Have never had an issue with any of them. Tools used properly are often quite helpful. Tools in the wrong hands, not so much.
Old 11-12-2017, 10:40 AM

I have a lead sled and have used it to sight in several rifles. Makes it easier as it stabilizes the rifle while you do minor adjustments.
Old 11-12-2017, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post

I have used mine extensively without damaging any stocks.
I do not put any weight, bags of led or sand on the sled, simply get my shoulder behind the but and absorb some of the recoil with my shoulder.
Works for me developing loads for the heavy hitters.
Old 11-12-2017, 11:00 AM

When I was contemplating purchasing one years ago, a friend suggested I try his before making a decision ... consequently, my hands on experience is limited.
I found it impossible to manipulate it into a comfortable position. I had to lean into it and the one I tried was too high on standard height shooting benches. It took very few shots to come to the conclusion that the front rest/bag system suited me much better, which would eventually translate into more consistent shooting. After some experience at the bench, I came to understand how rifles move under recoil and why the lead-sled type holders do not contribute to improving consistency.
Lead sleds in fact, may improve the consistency of shooters sensitive to recoil and those not prepared to put in the “time” required to develop good shooting techniques.
Old 11-12-2017, 12:12 PM

I have owned and shot, the 3006, 300 win mag, 338 win wag, 375 H&H, Never own but have shot the 416 Rigby. I have never used a lead sled, only front and rear bags, I am not a big man, but I have never had a problem with recoil or accuracy. With proper posture and positioning, You should be able to shoot well without a lead sled. Practice practice practice. But that's just my opinion.
Old 11-12-2017, 12:20 PM

I can shoot better groups off the bags. Also off the bags is the best way to sight in as the rifle recoils naturally and point of impact is true to real life shooting in the field. If I was to use a bipod for hunting I would use that to sight in with a rear bag.

My lead sled has not been used in years but if I were to do some rough load development and velocity work up in anything 338win mag or bigger I may dust it off to save my shoulder for the final load development off the bags.
Old 11-12-2017, 12:39 PM

A lead sled can effect the point of impact, and I have seen stocks on heavier recoiling rifles cracked when using a lead sled.
Old 11-12-2017, 01:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
A lead sled can effect the point of impact, and I have seen stocks on heavier recoiling rifles cracked when using a lead sled.
Any tool used improperly can have less than the desired results. I have seen people cut themselves using sharp knives. The sun causes cancer also but a little common sense goes a long way.
Old 11-12-2017, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger CS View Post
I have used mine extensively without damaging any stocks.
I do not put any weight, bags of led or sand on the sled, simply get my shoulder behind the but and absorb some of the recoil with my shoulder.
Works for me developing loads for the heavy hitters.
X2 Would not be without one.
Old 11-12-2017, 04:21 PM

I have had one for years and really enjoy using it. One of the best investments for shooting I have ever made.
Old 11-12-2017, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
Any tool used improperly can have less than the desired results. I have seen people cut themselves using sharp knives. The sun causes cancer also but a little common sense goes a long way.
So is using a tool as the designers advertise it being used( with considerable weight added to reduce recoil) using it improperly? They even called it the lead sled because they intend it to be used with considerable weight.

https://www.btibrands.com/product/lead-sled-3/
Quote:
• Holds up to two 25 lb. bar bell weights
• Holds up to 100 lbs. of lead shot

Last edited by elkhunter11; 11-12-2017 at 06:12 PM.
Old 11-12-2017, 06:10 PM

I had A lead sled and wasn't overly impressed. went bag to shooting off a bag
Old 11-12-2017, 06:47 PM

Default lead sled

I use an older model right now to sight in my 6mm and 7m08 I like it cause it allows me to sight the rifle in without any outside interference I have mine stuffed with impact gel for any recoil and once lined up the only thing that touches the rifle is my finger on the trigger 5 shots out of the rest Then any problems after that is my own practice practice practice
Old 11-12-2017, 06:50 PM

Smile

One of poorer gifts I have received .

Buy cheap cry every day .

Old 11-12-2017, 07:15 PM

Never used one, a friend is a bit recoil sensitive, he uses a bag of lead shot over his shoulder the rifle kicks into that and spreads out the oomph. Works well, cheaper than a leadsled.
Old 11-12-2017, 07:40 PM

Thanks for all the input guys.
Old 11-13-2017, 07:30 AM
Banned

I have one. I used it on two rifles, one day. It hasn’t been out since.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:23 AM

I’ve had one for many years and have used it on hundreds of different firearms, including 45-70’s, 375’s, 416’s, 460 weatherby. Have never had an issue. We’d often shoot off the bags after to see if there’s any difference in point of impact. Zilch nadda nothing.
I don’t use any weights on mine.
Old 11-13-2017, 12:37 PM

I use mine for initial set up and fine tuning. It assures where your cross hairs are pointing remain steady and frozen, without any movement on the target - which is not as easy to do with bags or a bipod - at least not dead still.

An excellent tool for this. It effectively removes shooter variability. Removing this variable increases the accuracy of what you are seeing is representative of the rifle, the load and the conditions you are shooting in.

After the initial set up and tuning, I'm pretty much off the bag and in other positions (prone or standing) so to ensure I'm getting some practice in more realistic conditions as you are not going to be hauling your sled around in the bush.