Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-11-2017, 02:59 PM

Default What constitutes a bumper?

My teenage daughter hit some ice and slid her car into a parked car a few days ago. Did the right thing and went knocking on the door and told the owner and exchanged info, etc...

Started insurance claim, got estimate and booked it into a body shop, only problem is it's 10 days to get it in, then another 5 for the repair. She can walk to school, but we're having to chauffeur her to/from work. Loss of use coverage is great, unless you're a teenager, then she can't drive a rental.

Anyways, when we went to the RCMP to file her statement, the constable came out and snapped some pics and then she said it shouldn't be on the road until repaired, as it is required to have a bumper. Well, I looked at it and thought to myself, but it does have a bumper, hmmm... I'm teaching my kid proper respect for law enforcement, so didn't want to question the constable too much in front of my kid, but the more I thought about it the more I'm curious. So, what exactly constitutes a bumper for purpose of driving? To me, in the following pics, the bumper is still on the car, while the bumper COVER is sitting in my garage.

My Google-Fu isn't very strong, and I'm having difficulty finding an answer online. Anyone?

Last edited by Big Racks; 11-11-2017 at 03:06 PM.
Old 11-11-2017, 03:23 PM

Your bumper is the steel part in the first few pics. The bumper cover is the token plastic.

You do not need a bumper cover to drive down the road.
Old 11-11-2017, 04:35 PM

to make the local constabulary happy use wire ties or get some body mounts and put it back on. Make sure it wont fall off, it is entirely and only cosmetic. Looked closer at your pics, go to Honda and get the same plastic fixtures, cost only a few bucks and she is driving again. Looks like they are just busted off.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....

Last edited by Ken07AOVette; 11-11-2017 at 05:00 PM.
Old 11-11-2017, 04:56 PM

Pretty sure the bumper has a fairly specific definition regarding low speed impact and deformation standards of which an aluminum "bumper" would not meet. I'm assuming the plastic cover has a bunch of foam on the back side? for this very reason.
Old 11-11-2017, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
to make the local constabulary happy use wire ties or get some body mounts and put it back on. Make sure it wont fall off, it is entirely and only cosmetic. Looked closer at your pics, go to Dodge and get the same plastic fixtures, cost only a few bucks and she is driving again. Looks like they are just busted off.
Thought about zipping it back on for now, but I dropped the cover off at the shop so they could have a look and see if it could be salvaged, or at the very least salvage some fasteners, etc.. from it. So, they have the cover now. I think she's good to go, if she gets stopped and ticketed I'm pretty sure I'd win that arguement, and if not I guess I pay the fine. Better than trying to juggle mine and the wife's work schedules around getting the kid to and from as well.
Old 11-11-2017, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Pretty sure the bumper has a fairly specific definition regarding low speed impact and deformation standards of which an aluminum "bumper" would not meet. I'm assuming the plastic cover has a bunch of foam on the back side? for this very reason.
It did have one very small strip of foam, broken of course. I knew it was a buffer of some sort between the cover and the aluminum, but didn't give it much thought. You can actually see it on the garage floor behind the cover in the last pic.
Old 11-11-2017, 05:04 PM

That car is totally legal to drive. It still has the bumper intact and has headlights and signals. That plastic fairing is nothing more than an air deflector and does nothing in a frontal impact.

"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."
- Bob Hagel
Old 11-11-2017, 05:04 PM
Banned

So, a big aftermarket steel bumper on a 4x4 is okay, but this isn't??
Although on the whole I am pro LE...this particular officer seems a little carried away with his authority.
Old 11-11-2017, 05:57 PM
Banned

I wouldn't worry about it...judging by the crap vehicles I see in this province, I don't think ANYONE in law enforcement really gives a fat rat's ass about anything to do with vehicle equipment regulations.
Old 11-11-2017, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by possum View Post
That car is totally legal to drive. It still has the bumper intact and has headlights and signals. That plastic fairing is nothing more than an air deflector and does nothing in a frontal impact.
I doubt an aluminum bar meets the following requirements:

" 215. (1) A passenger car shall be equipped with bumpers that conform to either

(a) the requirements set out in paragraph 6, and the low-speed-impact test procedure set out in Annex 3, except for paragraph 4 of that Annex, of ECE Regulation No. 42 — Uniform Provisions Concerning the Approval of Vehicles with regard to Their Front and Rear Protective Devices (Bumpers, etc.), in the version dated June 12, 2007, as amended after that date by any amendment in the 00 series of amendments; or

(b) the requirements, conditions and test procedures set out in title 49, part 581 of the Code of Federal Regulations of the United States (revised as of October 1, 2006)."

It involves pedestrian impacts at 2.5 mph or some such and the plastic cover isn't simply an air dam. Is someone going to pull the OP over for it, I doubt it.
Old 11-11-2017, 06:34 PM
Banned

Would the airbags still deploy in this condition?
Old 11-11-2017, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETOWNCANUCK View Post
Would the airbags still deploy in this condition?
Yes, the sensors are located behind the bumper if damage goes past the bumper crumple zone, usually found on the radiator support, or the unibody somewhere.
Old 11-11-2017, 06:56 PM

Default Call Honda. Or check out parts list on line.

My view is that the car is fine to drive without the bumper cover and air dams.

Checking the part numbers I will bet that the "bumper" is still on the car and the cover has been removed as a result of the crash.

Good on you and your daughter. She has been raised right and did the right thing when she probably could have taken off. You both should be proud of her conduct and efforts.

I would drive car and rely on the parts list as to what the bumper is.

If you get a ticket let me know. The trial will be fun to run.

Eric.
Old 11-12-2017, 03:38 PM
Banned

Oh for god sakes, duct tape the damn thing on and ride. What ever happened to the cowboy way ?
Old 11-12-2017, 04:42 PM
Banned

That piece of foam is called an impact absorber
We were taught when writing an estimate that if it is gone it technically should be flagged as a non driveable.
Dont forgot all those frozen plastic pieces will be brittle. If anymore damage occurs without the bumper cover on you would be liable
Also the aluminum rebar is sharp. If you hit a pedestrian you would do more damage. Its not just the ocvupants to take in consideration. If you brought it to my shop itd be non driveable in my opinion
Old 11-12-2017, 04:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebrand View Post
My view is that the car is fine to drive without the bumper cover and air dams.

Checking the part numbers I will bet that the "bumper" is still on the car and the cover has been removed as a result of the crash.

Good on you and your daughter. She has been raised right and did the right thing when she probably could have taken off. You both should be proud of her conduct and efforts.

I would drive car and rely on the parts list as to what the bumper is.

If you get a ticket let me know. The trial will be fun to run.

Eric.
There will not be a part called a bumper
Closest will be bumber cover
Underneath is the asorber and rebar or reinforcement
Old 11-12-2017, 05:12 PM

I drive a Jeep Rubicon and there is no plastic on either my front or rear bumper and the front one is shorter than the one the OP now has. I think by law he would be fine driving the car, damage is only cosmetic.

"She took all my money, she wrecked my new car, now she's with one of my good time buddies, and they're drinkin' in some cross town bar"!
Old 11-12-2017, 06:12 PM

The aluminium bar shown in the first photo's is the bumper, the pile of busted plastic is generally known as a fascia since its function is cosmetic.

Absorbtion bar, impact bar and reinforcement bar are also correct for the metal piece located behind the fascia.
Old 11-15-2017, 04:13 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by possum View Post
agreed
Old 11-15-2017, 04:55 PM

Lot's of opinions here, many are common sense, however, these opinions won't count if you were unfortunate enough to get stopped by the police or, worse yet, involved in another collision.

If the insurance provider can, in any way, deny giving you coverage, for any reason whatsoever, so they are not paying out, I can guarantee you they would - so I wouldn't be driving it.

I'd be taking the advice of the police officer (and my insurance provider) over any of us armchair experts.