Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-26-2017, 06:59 AM

Default $31 million payout for Liberal torture

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/politics...lion-1.4372689

Under Cretien and Martin's watch the liberals tortured 3 innocents and are now maying $31MM.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 10-26-2017, 07:01 AM

Well isn't that just a dandy piece of news to wake up to in the morning!

BW
Old 10-26-2017, 07:04 AM
Banned

Economic stimulus at its finest.
Old 10-26-2017, 07:05 AM

Under Cretien and Martin's watch the liberals tortured 3 innocents and are now maying $31MM.[/QUOTE]

THE HEADLINE SHOULD READ Canada Liberal Government Now Agrees To Help Fund Terrrorism
Old 10-26-2017, 07:07 AM
AO Sponsor

They are torturing a couple million of us right here in Alberta as we speak... Time for a payout! Badump bump! Lol
Old 10-26-2017, 07:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
They are torturing a couple million of us right here in Alberta as we speak... Time for a payout! Badump bump! Lol
My thoughts as well.
Old 10-26-2017, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45/70/500 View Post
Under Cretien and Martin's watch the liberals tortured 3 innocents and are now maying $31MM.

THE HEADLINE SHOULD READ Canada Liberal Government Now Agrees To Help Fund Terrrorism
How does these men being found to have been wrongfully accused equate to funding terrorism? I'm interested.
Old 10-26-2017, 07:36 AM

The ISIS members returning to Canada will likely be lining up to sue our government for millions each for the emotional stress that they suffered. The taxpayers will pay even more , so that our government can hand out even more money to these people.
Old 10-26-2017, 07:43 AM

Think I'm gonna be sick!
Old 10-26-2017, 07:44 AM

Ridiculous
Old 10-26-2017, 07:47 AM
Banned

We’re making the world a better place. Fml
Old 10-26-2017, 07:58 AM

So people are okay with the government being complicit with falsely accusing, detaining and torturing Canadian citizens?
Old 10-26-2017, 07:58 AM
Banned

the link:http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/politics...lion-1.4372689

184 shares
The Liberal government has paid a total of close to $31.3 million in settlements to three Canadian men wrongfully accused of links to terrorism and tortured in Syria— 15 years and two federal inquiries after their detentions, sources confirmed to CBC News.

Abdullah Almalki, Ahmad El Maati and Muayyed Nureddin will split $31.25 million, but it's not clear from officials how much each man received.
Federal government reaches settlement with 3 Canadian men tortured in Syria and Egypt
Federal officials contributed indirectly to torture of Canadians: report
In March, Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale and Foreign Affairs Minister Chrystia Freeland issued a statement saying the government had reached a settlement with the three men and apologized.
The amount of compensation going to three men was first reported by Le Devoir.
Philip Tunley, the lawyer for Almalki, El Maati and Nureddin, refused to comment on the story.

El Maati, a former truck driver from Toronto, was arrested in November 2001 after he flew to Syria to celebrate his wedding. He was later transferred to Egypt, spending a total of 26 months in prison.

Almalki, an electronics engineer in Ottawa, was detained in Syria in 2002 and held for 22 months.

Nureddin, a Toronto geologist, was detained by Syrian officials in December 2003 as he crossed the border from Iraq, where he was visiting family. He was held for 34 days in Syria in late 2003 and early 2004.

'Their lives got destroyed'
All three said they were imprisoned, tortured, accused of links to al-Qaeda and told by their interrogators that information about them had come from the RCMP and the Canadian Security Intelligence Service. The men have denied any links to al-Qaeda.
A 2008 federal inquiry found the actions of Canadian officials contributed indirectly to the torture of three men.
"They caused the torture to happen, they caused the detention to happen," Almalki he told CBC's The Fifth Estate in June 2016. "They caused huge losses in my business. My brothers, their lives got destroyed. My kids, their lives got destroyed."
The men had each filed a $100-million lawsuit against the government 10 years ago, but put their requests on hold ahead of the inquiry by Supreme Court Justice Frank Iacobucci.
Canadian co-operation
Their lawyers eventually won a lengthy court battle against the RCMP and CSIS to gain access to thousands of heavily redacted files, amounting to hundreds of thousands of pages.
CBC News obtained exclusive access to some 18,000 pages, which showed Canadian law enforcement officials not only knew three Canadians were being tortured in Syrian jails in a post-9/11 crackdown, but also co-operated with Syrian officials in their interrogations.
The files also show that a Canadian ambassador helped to deliver questions the RCMP and CSIS wanted put to the Canadians imprisoned in Syria, a country with a dismal human rights record.
"I was shocked that my country, which was supposed to work for my safety, let me end up in the torture chamber," Nureddin told The Fifth Estate last year.
"My reputation has been damaged."
Maher Arar, another Canadian arrested and tortured in Syria, received an apology and a $10.5-million settlement from the federal government in 2007.

I know the area they did go to requires due diligence .
I know i could benefit from some financial assistance .
Old 10-26-2017, 08:10 AM

These people were not held by our government, they were not tortured by our government, so they should be suing the authorities that held them and tortured them. And if you don't want to risk being held by those authorities, then stay out of those countries.
Old 10-26-2017, 08:11 AM

I bet their lawyers are the biggest winners here. Someone please remind me to apply for law school once I have completed my undergraduate degree. Working as contingent legal counsel for these types clearly pays...

Last edited by jstubbs; 10-26-2017 at 08:22 AM.
Old 10-26-2017, 08:35 AM

should have left them there
Old 10-26-2017, 08:37 AM
Banned

What a retirement package!!!

Where do I sign up?
Old 10-26-2017, 08:42 AM
Banned

Default Csis

It's proof of just how incompetent the Canadian secret service is.
What do you expect for dudes probably only making 48 to 68 thousand a year. No Aston Martins there. Just computer geeks.
Old 10-26-2017, 08:46 AM

I don't care who you are, If a person travels to wackjob countries they are asking for trouble. I don't care how much family they have there or what job they are offered.

Did the Canadian Gov't send them there?
Old 10-26-2017, 08:55 AM

getting close to remembrance day, guess how much the veterans were gifted that were imprisoned.
If these idiots want to go to Syria for the day, well then I guess you take your chances. We have to pay for their stupidity.
Old 10-26-2017, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gevarm guy View Post
getting close to remembrance day, guess how much the veterans were gifted that were imprisoned.
If these idiots want to go to Syria for the day, well then I guess you take your chances. We have to pay for their stupidity.
well said
Old 10-26-2017, 09:06 AM

I fail to understand how us the normal everyday Canadian that has done no wrong to any of these people have to shoulder the high price of paying out all this money, if they were innocent and tortured and or abused, maybe the actual people involved shud take that debt on! I don't want my tax dollars paying for stupid govt mistakes... It sucks! Why are we the people always having to pony up for their mistakes? This trend will continue for a very long time unless somebody goes broke, the world is in a very bad place these days.
It's time us Canadians took our happy faces off and start to get angry with how we are all being treated.. Things were sure a lot better 20, 30,40 years ago.. The trend we are on now... Not good!!
Zip

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 10-26-2017, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporty View Post
So people are okay with the government being complicit with falsely accusing, detaining and torturing Canadian citizens?
Seems that way, if they're brown.

Old 10-26-2017, 09:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Just brown ones apparently.
Old 10-26-2017, 09:32 AM
Banned

Quote:
Which government?
Old 10-26-2017, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip View Post
I fail to understand how us the normal everyday Canadian that has done no wrong to any of these people have to shoulder the high price of paying out all this money, if they were innocent and tortured and or abused, maybe the actual people involved shud take that debt on! I don't want my tax dollars paying for stupid govt mistakes... It sucks! Why are we the people always having to pony up for their mistakes? This trend will continue for a very long time unless somebody goes broke, the world is in a very bad place these days.
It's time us Canadians took our happy faces off and start to get angry with how we are all being treated.. Things were sure a lot better 20, 30,40 years ago.. The trend we are on now... Not good!!
Zip
No, things weren't a lot better in 1997, 1987, or 1977. Read about the world and what was going on in it at those times, and you'll see that.

Normal, everyday Canadians are part of Canadian society and government of it. One branch of Canadian society, the RCMP, is responsible for providing incorrect information and thus contributing to the incarceration and torture of innocent men. As such, they are responsible and have to make restitution which means that rolls back into Canadian society in general, making amends for those mistakes.

That's how civilized society works.
Old 10-26-2017, 09:46 AM

What do Canadians need money for anyways. " they will just spend it on beer". Taxation system in Canada is more of an Allowance system anyways.
Old 10-26-2017, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
Which government?
The Canadian government.
Old 10-26-2017, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
These people were not held by our government, they were not tortured by our government, so they should be suing the authorities that held them and tortured them. And if you don't want to risk being held by those authorities, then stay out of those countries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
Which government?
From the article:

Quote:
CBC News obtained exclusive access to some 18,000 pages, which showed Canadian law enforcement officials not only knew three Canadians were being tortured in Syrian jails in a post-9/11 crackdown, but also co-operated with Syrian officials in their interrogations.
Old 10-26-2017, 09:59 AM

Think that family who were held hostage (cough cough) for so many years is worth another $50 million.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com