Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 08-30-2017, 11:24 AM

Default Need moose advice.

Hey my first season with a bow had a bit of a crazy morning. Spotted two young bulls this morning first one stalk didn't go Very well barely saw him. Second one was interesting, bumped a cow elk early on she stops broadside at 35 and I have an elk tag burning a hole in my pocket decide to pass. Keep going I have the moose at 200 drop put some trees between us can't see him come around to where I should be able to see him 100m away or so he's already fed off the field. Move up check area around where he was find a good game trail heading into a marshy area follow it. Hit another trail look down it just as he crosses 100m away. Try to shadow him close the distance never see him again. Didn't hear him crash off or anything don't think I blew him out.

Here's my question this is my first time hunting moose how much do they follow patterns would he be back on that field tonight or tomorrow morning there was a decent amount of tracks there but not tonne.

Thanks.
Old 08-30-2017, 11:39 AM

You passed on an elk !?!?!?!?!? Quite literally the best tasting animal in the woods!!!!!! I've been hunting elk for more than a decade and have yet to get a shot. Never, and I mean never, pass on the 'gift' opportunity. Oh well, too late now.

Moose do tend to stay in the same area but not like whitetails where they will be in their tracks from last night. It's worth checking. As you found out, they can also cover a lot of ground in short order, so don't burn a week on it. Two in the same area (and an elk) suggests there is a reason for them being there, so I would check that spot routinely.
Old 08-30-2017, 11:40 AM
Banned

You know where they live now. Wait until the end of September and call them.
Old 08-30-2017, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
You passed on an elk !?!?!?!?!? Quite literally the best tasting animal in the woods!!!!!! I've been hunting elk for more than a decade and have yet to get a shot. Never, and I mean never, pass on the 'gift' opportunity. Oh well, too late now.

Moose do tend to stay in the same area but not like whitetails where they will be in their tracks from last night. It's worth checking. As you found out, they can also cover a lot of ground in short order, so don't burn a week on it. Two in the same area (and an elk) suggests there is a reason for them being there, so I would check that spot routinely.
I agree elk is amazing I got a cow last year with the rifle. Really want to get a bull this year. I know a couple areas holding cows right now. I have untill the sept 5th going to switch to cow mode in a few more days. The other moose was in a different spot. But this area is very promising
Old 08-30-2017, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
You know where they live now. Wait until the end of September and call them.
I wish that was an option only here until the sept 5th. I might be able to do another weekend trip later in sept but it won't be here.
Old 08-30-2017, 12:32 PM

I would not pass on any animal if I were you. first one with a bow no matter the species or sex is a great achievement. Many new bow hunters will quit before getting a bow kill.

go back to same area and wait. I would hazard a guess they will be back there somewhere this evening. maybe not same trail but the area for sure.
Old 08-30-2017, 01:23 PM

^ x2
Old 08-30-2017, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The moose View Post
I would not pass on any animal if I were you. first one with a bow no matter the species or sex is a great achievement. Many new bow hunters will quit before getting a bow kill.

go back to same area and wait. I would hazard a guess they will be back there somewhere this evening. maybe not same trail but the area for sure.
Thanks I am definitely going to be going back. I have actually had some bow success already got a spring bear and filled my antlerless Mule deer tag a couple days ago I really wanted to have a chance at that moose I don't regret it right now and I sure hope I don't later. I just have no experience with moose I know my odds aren't great before the rut but unfortunately this is when work gave me my time off. I am just glad it was during archery season. Next opportunity I get I won't pass.
Old 08-30-2017, 01:55 PM

then I can understand this. If I was more interested in moose I would probably do the same. I have let a few cow moose continue on in life but if I get the chance (yr six) on a cow elk...shes Dinner fare.
Old 08-30-2017, 02:51 PM

Going to guess an alfalfa field. Seen many moose grazing on alfalfa, and could only imagine how good they would taste!!

As for going back out on the same trail, go back from the field about 50 yards, go on the down wind side, do not walk on the trail going in, and sit and wait. If the moose is bedded, he may get up and go back out on the trail you left him on. Or the cow elk may be back with the bull hanging back in the brush on the trail 1/2 an hour later ....

Drewski
Old 08-30-2017, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
Going to guess an alfalfa field. Seen many moose grazing on alfalfa, and could only imagine how good they would taste!!

As for going back out on the same trail, go back from the field about 50 yards, go on the down wind side, do not walk on the trail going in, and sit and wait. If the moose is bedded, he may get up and go back out on the trail you left him on. Or the cow elk may be back with the bull hanging back in the brush on the trail 1/2 an hour later ....

Drewski
Canola actually I bet an alfalfa moose would taste great two of my deer and my cow elk were on alfalfa last year tasted amazing. This is backed onto about 200m of bush then a decent sized creek here's hoping. Been having better luck spotting in the mornings seems like nothing is moving out till after dark but sticking around for a bit in he morning.

Last edited by Freerider; 08-30-2017 at 03:27 PM.
Old 09-05-2017, 09:36 PM

Default Conservation

To the guys who take the shot instantly.
I'm a bow hunter and was sitting in my stand last night. I have just passed on a whitetail doe with her yearling. And I also passed on 2 twin wt 3 point bucks.
Couple reasons. It's a great spot and it will produce later on. But from a conservation stand point i will let the dawn grow before I take momma (which is crazy that 212 has 2 doe tags this year)
2nd reason is I process my own animals (after being bent over by the butcher in prior years ) and I am not ready to let me meat spoil I'm 30 degrees for the next week. I know I'll get opportunities again. For those that only get one ... you need to hunt harder or find new areas or take more time in the field. . Just my two cents.
Old 09-06-2017, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiecat View Post
I'm a bow hunter and was sitting in my stand last night. I have just passed on a whitetail doe with her yearling. And I also passed on 2 twin wt 3 point bucks.
Couple reasons. It's a great spot and it will produce later on. But from a conservation stand point i will let the dawn grow before I take momma (which is crazy that 212 has 2 doe tags this year)
2nd reason is I process my own animals (after being bent over by the butcher in prior years ) and I am not ready to let me meat spoil I'm 30 degrees for the next week. I know I'll get opportunities again. For those that only get one ... you need to hunt harder or find new areas or take more time in the field. . Just my two cents.
Yeah ok there alfie...we all know what a great sportsman you are now. Teddy Roosevelt is awakening from his grave just to hear of your tales of excellence in conservation. It might surprise you, but not everyone has unlimited time and money to exclusively hunt 200inch bucks and 8x8 bull elk.

If you aren't prepared to deal with meat in this weather, perhaps you shouldn't be hunting. Either build a cooler or get faster at butchering.
Old 09-06-2017, 12:33 PM

Default Reply

Or enjoy the fun of the hunt and not take the shot. If a bruiser came through I'd make the preparations work.
That being said don't be butt hurt if your hunting life sucks. Practice conservation and not red neck hunting is all I was suggesting in the post above.
Old 09-06-2017, 12:43 PM

What is red neck hunting
Old 09-06-2017, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfiecat View Post
excuse me for a minute while I bask in your excellence....
dear god.

you can keep your .02 cents.

If you dont have a means of dealing with a animal post shot never take the shot in the first place. pretty straight forward and part of being a hunter. 212 has had 2x doe tags for years, why? because there is a S-ton of dear and they need to be managed.
I usually avoid this banter but this got under my skin.
Old 09-06-2017, 08:01 PM

Up until post 12, this was a good thread.
Old 09-06-2017, 08:05 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Well back to your question, you will never know if you bumped/pushed the bull and hey you pass on whatever you want to, after all,it is your hunt so hunt away and take the game you want to.
Let us know how things work out whether it's an elk, moose or squirrel.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-06-2017, 10:18 PM

In this weather were having if them cows are near water that bull needs to drink also and with that moon being full ,I would go back and do another check,if you chased the moose away on foot for miles I would say call it a day,but water is important to moose and I am sure they seen a human before.

It's not like you fired a rifle, you just busted him out of his spot he will circle down wind an may be closer than you think,just know the whole area like the back of your hand and walk in on him slowly.

For a young hunter I can see your not out to shoot what your not after and many a hunter would have taken a poke at that elk,you will get another cance at an elk no problem cause because a disciplined hunter always gets a chance,but get that moose first .BEST OF LUCK .
Old 09-06-2017, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD848 View Post
In this weather were having if them cows are near water that bull needs to drink also and with that moon being full ,I would go back and do another check,if you chased the moose away on foot for miles I would say call it a day,but water is important to moose and I am sure they seen a human before.

It's not like you fired a rifle, you just busted him out of his spot he will circle down wind an may be closer than you think,just know the whole area like the back of your hand and walk in on him slowly.

For a young hunter I can see your not out to shoot what your not after and many a hunter would have taken a poke at that elk,you will get another cance at an elk no problem cause because a disciplined hunter always gets a chance,but get that moose first .BEST OF LUCK .

Well seeing as how this thread picked back up I'll post how things turned out I went back to that spot a few more times didn't see anything. On Sunday after hunting elk in a different spot with a friend in the morning I came but checked about a mile away on the other side of the creek. Spotted two young bull moose on the road couldn't hunt them. Followed a good trail spotted a moose 1/2 way down the 1/4 I have permission on managed to stalk to just inside 70m but couldn't get a shot. Decided to take a break and regroup. Got a call from a family member who had spotted a bull elk. Was able to locate him and successfully put a stalk to 40m short time later my bull was on the ground. Was a crazy 11days and I learned a lot. There are pictures on the 2017 Harvest Thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Freerider; 09-06-2017 at 11:26 PM.
Old 09-07-2017, 12:04 AM

Fantastic! Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-07-2017, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freerider View Post
Well seeing as how this thread picked back up I'll post how things turned out I went back to that spot a few more times didn't see anything. On Sunday after hunting elk in a different spot with a friend in the morning I came but checked about a mile away on the other side of the creek. Spotted two young bull moose on the road couldn't hunt them. Followed a good trail spotted a moose 1/2 way down the 1/4 I have permission on managed to stalk to just inside 70m but couldn't get a shot. Decided to take a break and regroup. Got a call from a family member who had spotted a bull elk. Was able to locate him and successfully put a stalk to 40m short time later my bull was on the ground. Was a crazy 11days and I learned a lot. There are pictures on the 2017 Harvest Thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
well done man! that is a great accomplishment. I am on year 6 and I hunt more than 30 days a season. Well done!
Old 09-07-2017, 09:44 AM

Great news! All your hard work paid off. Well done!
Old 09-07-2017, 01:31 PM

congrats!