Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-30-2008, 06:41 PM

Default Mailing/Shipping Gun

Hey all,

I've never had to ship a gun anywhere, but need to send one within AB to a P.O. Box. What is the easiest way? Any tips/traps re: who to use, packaging, etc. from those who have done this before?

Thanks,
Old 07-30-2008, 06:46 PM

Ship it insured with a recievers signature required.
In no way do you need to say what is in the box, never ever let anyone from CP in on the goods you are shipping.

There are no absolutes
Old 07-30-2008, 07:31 PM

Canada Post I've sent a few and had a few mailed to me, no problems. They don't want you to mark what it is.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:47 PM

Default Canada Post

Yep, have sent a few with absolutely not problem at all. As Dick said, send it registered with signature required and should be no problems. You are not required, nor should you, indicate what is inside the package!

Oh ya, you are not supposed to ship ammo with the rifle, just to let you know.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:28 PM

You cannot ship ammo via Canada Post at all. The only carrier I've heard who will ship ammo is DHL and its pricey
Old 07-30-2008, 09:04 PM
collectornine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
Ship it insured with a recievers signature required.
In no way do you need to say what is in the box, never ever let anyone from CP in on the goods you are shipping.
Humm I for one would never tell someone to "never ever let anyone from CP in on the goods you are shipping."to me that is bad advise If you have nothing to hide why hide if its a legal fire arm please do not take advise on something as important as shipping a fire arm you should contact the right people and get the right answer's do it right the first time.good luck

Quote:

3 Criminal Code and Other Offences

Any person using the mail for the delivery of any one of the following items commits an offence:

articles that are obscene, indecent, immoral or scurrilous
any information relating to bookmaking, pool-setting, betting or waging
articles relating to unlawful lottery schemes
any article relating to schemes to deceive or defraud the public
articles or special messages sent to any person with the intention to obtain money under false pretences.
NOTE : False representation on any customs document is considered an offence.

4 Prohibited and Controlled Items

Some products may be prohibited from the mail or prohibited from entering Canada. Prohibited products are not permitted in the mail under any circumstances.

Controlled products may be permitted in the mail but have special requirements or require special documentation.

The list that follows is a general overview of prohibited items, or items that may have special restrictions on how or to whom they may be shipped. These items must be properly prepared and meet applicable requirements for mailing.

4.1 Replica or Inert Munitions

Replica or inert munitions are non-mailable, as well as other devices that simulate explosive devices or munitions, including replica or inert grenades or other simulated military munitions, whether or not such items are for display purposes. These products are not permitted in the mail under any circumstances.

4.2 Tobacco

Tobacco products are non-mailable unless:

the shipments are intra provincial (within province only)
the shipment is between manufacturers and retailers or between retailers. These items can only be shipped by Customers using Electronic Shipping Tools (EST) and selecting the “PROOF OF AGE (18 or 19) WITH SIGNATURE” option
the product is a replacement product (free of charge) mailed by a manufacturer to a consumer
the person is otherwise exempted by the regulations
they are imported in limited quantities for personal consumption and meet the requirements of the Canada Border Services Agency’s enforcement of the Tobacco Act. Tobacco and tobacco products may be imported by an individual in quantities of five or less units of packaged tobacco.
NOTE 1: A unit is defined as: 200 cigarettes; 50 cigars; 400 tobacco sticks; or 400 g of manufactured tobacco. Amounts in excess of five units are subject to the labelling and stamping requirements of the Tobacco Department Regulations.

2: The originator of the shipment is solely accountable to ensure all tobacco shipments meet the requirements defined within the Tobacco Act.

For additional information, refer to the Stamping and Marking of Tobacco Products Regulations or the Tobacco Act on the Department of Justice website.

4.3 Firearms (including imitation and replica firearms)

Please contact the Canadian Firearms Centre at www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca or by calling 1-800-731-4000 to determine whether it is permissible to ship your firearms.

When it is determined permissible to ship firearms, they must be shipped as follows:

Customer Type Service To Be Used
Non-contract Customer Regular Parcel with Signature
Contract Customer Expedited Parcel with the Proof of Age (18 or 19) with Signature option using Electronic Shipping Tools (EST)

Firearms cannot be shipped via air. The Customer is solely responsible for meeting all Canadian Firearms Centre regulations.

NOTE : Visit section 6.3.1 “Mail Addressed to Children” of the “ABCs of Mailing” chapter for an age of majority by province or territory listing.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:11 PM

The firearm may be legal but not all postal workers are. I was told by CP to not place on the box what it was. You can tell the person taking the parcel at the post office if they ask. Also, many times, its a private carrier hauling postal freight so there is that added to the situation.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:20 PM

You do not have to tell them it is a firearm. It is perfectly legal to ship them by mail. You should never label a fiream package as such since it leaves it wide open to anyone in its handling process to know what it is and possably steal,deface or otherwise interfer with it's delivery.
If asked which I never have been, I'd state that it is sporting goods that's all.
Customs forms for items leaving the Country is another kettle of fish

I suppose C9 you'd mark a package as a 3 caret diamond ring since you have nothing to hide.

That is the point I'm making if it caused any of you confusion I hope this has cleared it up.

Here is what the CFC says about shipping.
http://www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca/factsheets...ransport_e.asp

Must be shippend in a manner to deter theft, I would think labeling a package as containing firearms would pretty much not in any way be a deterant to theft.

There are no absolutes
Old 07-30-2008, 09:34 PM

Thanks for the quick replies all, much appreciated.
Old 08-01-2008, 11:32 AM
Tori

Default Insurance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
You do not have to tell them it is a firearm. It is perfectly legal to ship them by mail. You should never label a fiream package as such since it leaves it wide open to anyone in its handling process to know what it is and possably steal,deface or otherwise interfer with it's delivery.
If asked which I never have been, I'd state that it is sporting goods that's all.
Customs forms for items leaving the Country is another kettle of fish

I suppose C9 you'd mark a package as a 3 caret diamond ring since you have nothing to hide.

That is the point I'm making if it caused any of you confusion I hope this has cleared it up.

Here is what the CFC says about shipping.
http://www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca/factsheets...ransport_e.asp

Must be shippend in a manner to deter theft, I would think labeling a package as containing firearms would pretty much not in any way be a deterant to theft.
Can you still insure it if you dont tell them what's inside ?
Old 08-01-2008, 12:49 PM

Default shipping

Yes, I mailed a legally registered (to the new owner) firearm to The Rock this spring and insured it for him without any questions being asked by the weigh-in clerk about the parcel, other than "Do you want insurance on this parcel?"