Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-15-2008, 07:19 PM

Default Berger bullet question

Has anybody used these bullets for hunting and what kind of results have you had? I was under the impression that these were match target bullets, but ,a lot of people are talking about, using them for hunting.I would like to hear about actual kills. Also are they a pure copper bullet or cup and core. Thanx in advance.
Old 06-15-2008, 08:21 PM

do a search as there is a huge thread on this already with lots of info.
Old 06-15-2008, 10:20 PM

Default berger

ok thanx
Old 06-16-2008, 08:30 AM

Haven't used them...yet. However, I will be loading strictly Berger 168 VLD's for my 7 RM for my deer this season. In addition, if it proves as effective on deer as I predict, it will be my load for Kudu, Gemsbok, Wildebeest and Zebra in Namibia next March. My HP will be using the same bullet on Eland and Waterbuck. From the accounts I've read on AR, it was used with great success on plains game in Africa. I'd be happy to post all my results as experienced.

Bobby B.

Old 06-16-2008, 08:36 AM

Default berger

looking forward to hearing about your results,and good luck to you. thanx for reply.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:42 AM

I saw a sign up at Wholesale Calgary they are coming soon...
G
Old 07-30-2008, 10:10 PM

Just wanted to let everyone know that Carra Outdoor Sports in Belleville Ontario has received a shipment of Bergers.

Regards,
Eric
Old 07-31-2008, 07:15 AM

Default Eric

I can't find any .284 168 grain VLD's. Nobody seems to have any. When I inquire the say that they aren't getting any shipped to them. Is there a supply issue with this calibre? I really want to give them a try but I can't get them. This is really frustrating.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:19 AM

PM: Erik and ask him what is going on, he owns Berger or is high up with Berger.

There are no absolutes
Old 07-31-2008, 07:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown guy View Post
I can't find any .284 168 grain VLD's. Nobody seems to have any. When I inquire the say that they aren't getting any shipped to them. Is there a supply issue with this calibre? I really want to give them a try but I can't get them. This is really frustrating.
a friend and myself found about 1000 between us at corlanes....shipped em to me alright, but maybe that shipment is sold out now? this was a month or two ago?...try em out, they are in b.c. somewhere, just google them...

good luck
Old 07-31-2008, 10:50 AM

Default Berger 7mm 168 gr VLD

We are making the 7mm 168 gr VLD right now. Shipment will be heading north next week to those dealers who have them on order. We are making an amount that is much larger than normal so that we can keep them on the shelves a little longer. This bullet is extremely popular which makes it difficult to predict the run sizes.

Regards,
Eric
Old 07-31-2008, 01:26 PM

awsome to here
i picked sum up for the 6.5 but they didnt have any of the heavily saut after cals and weights

Last edited by sdeviation; 07-31-2008 at 01:31 PM. Reason: addin
Old 07-31-2008, 08:09 PM

Thanks for the tip Stinky. I did try Corlane's last week and they were out of stock. I am however on their waiting list.

I took Dick's advice and PM'd Eric and I would like to say thanks for a quick reply and an honest answer. I have e-mailed Berger a few times now and I would like all here to know that I have have nothing but good to say about the company. I asked for load info and had it in less than 1 hour. I have talked with a few people and everyone has been professional, precise and courteous. It is nice to see that in this day and age. Too many companies are all about the almighty dollar. I realize this is what makes the world go around but it is nice to be thought of as a person once in a while.

Keep up the good work Eric.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:51 AM
gitrdun

Don't know yet about their killing effectiveness, but I can say that accuracy is awesome. I just loaded some VLD's for my friend's Tikka 30-06, you can cover his 3 shot, 100 yd group with a dime. In fact we had to closely examine what appeared to be one single hole to make sure there were two. I wished they made them in .338

If you're listening Eric, is there any way you folks could post loading data on the website. I worked up the above load using similar bullet weights and BC from competitor manuals. Sure would like to try them in the .270 also.