Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-12-2008, 12:53 PM

Default Need Help From Yall

Ok guys im wanting to buy my first rifle and shot gun . Probably the shot gun first , Im wanting to spend between 0 and 500 dollers , First time ever owning a shot gun or rifle but far from the first time shooting , ive been looking at a few diffrent place Whole sale , milarm and SRD ive seen a huge diffrence in prices , talked to my buddy who is an avid hunter said I could spend 250 to 300 and get a deasent shot gun . As for a rifle I could spend about the same and get a fairly deasent rifle , my goal is in the next 2 years to have both one of each that way I can hunt both seasons Bow and rifle and shot gun is so I can start hunting birds instead of with my bow , even though the bow makes for alot of fun. If I can get some input would be great . Once agian im not wanting to spend 1000's of dollers as its my first wepons other then my bow.Thanks for your input.
Old 05-12-2008, 01:31 PM

For a Shotgun, it's hard to go wrong with the Remington 870. I think you can get the "Express" model (wood is not as nicely finished) for $400 or less. Do you have a preference for the action type? Pump, semi-auto, etc.? Pumps are generally less expensive than the other types of actions availabe.

A bolt action rifle with a decent scope is probably the best bet for a hunting rifle. You can find the Remington 700 SPS, Ruger Hawkeye, Tikka T-3, or Stevens 200 in the price range of about $350 - $750, depending the the brand. All of these rifles will shoot good, but the more expensive rifles are nicer finished. You'll also want to spend a resonable amount on a scope. A Bushnell 3200 3X9 goes for around $300, and you can also get a Leupold model like a VXII or VXI for $500 or less. The nice thing about Leupolds is that their Canadian service depot is in Okotoks, so in the unlikely event that something goes wrong, it's not a hassle to get repaired. A calibre such as 7-08, 270, 308, or 30-06 can be used for pretty much any big game in Alberta.
Old 05-12-2008, 01:48 PM

Well alot of people on here talking Stevens 200. Don't own one but from the guys talking here a choice for sure. The price to boot and then a little more for a scope.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 05-12-2008, 01:49 PM

BBJ,
Cant help much with a shotgun, but as far as a rifle goes, if your on a tight budget. Maybe look at a combo. I Know that savage/stevens has one, the rifle is black synthetic stock, with a simmons scope and sling, for around 500 I think. Never shot one myself but a couple guys I know are happy with thiers. A trip to P and D in Edmonton should be on your list as well. Good, knowledgable people there. Last time I was there they had a small selection of "clearance" guns for a decent price as well. Scott has made some good suggestions as far as caliber goes.

Good luck with your search try to find a gun that fits your shoulder well first then your budget second.
Old 05-12-2008, 01:59 PM

Get an 870 Express 12ga with the bird and slug barrel for camping and bear repellant.Good for non-Toxic shot etc....................Any of the Sav bolt actions shoot with any of the competition for a fraction of the cost.The Model 200 is cheap, accurate and available in many suitable calibers.A 30-06 will cover all the big game until you get the bug to own more.Harold
Old 05-12-2008, 02:01 PM

hard to beat the 870 for what it is......entry level, well priced reliable pump gun.....great gun unless you are left handed.....if so..spend a bit more and get the browning bps...bottom eject saves ya from getting hulls in the face!!
Old 05-12-2008, 02:15 PM
Banned

I've had good luck with the single shot rifles from these guys http://www.hr1871.com/ great economy guns imo. I'd take one of these over a 200, just like the feel, uniqueness, more fun (to me), etc. better....i can't stand the cheapy savage stuff. Good luck.
Old 05-12-2008, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheClash View Post
hard to beat the 870 for what it is......entry level, well priced reliable pump gun.....great gun unless you are left handed.....if so..spend a bit more and get the browning bps...bottom eject saves ya from getting hulls in the face!!
Not sure what entry level means there. I know guys who have shot 870's for years. It's an inexpensive reliable pump shotgun period. Get the synthetic magnum Express and shoot any ammo invented for a 12 gauge, reliably. if I couldn't spend more than $500, that is what I'd get. Got it for my son as a matter of fact. Downed a few birds and plenty of clay at the club too actually.

As for the rifle, I'm assuming that you are including a scope in the equation for $500? For that, I'd REALLY try to save just a bit more, or sweet-talk the wife so you can spend a touch more. You CAN get a Savage combo, but I don't imagine the glass is much to write home about (I'm sure the rifle would be fine).
Old 05-12-2008, 03:09 PM

Default guns

One more vote for the 12 ga Remington 870 series shotgun. Simply can't beat them. Affordable and reliable for your lifetime. If you're really on a budget, get a used 870 express or wingmaster. Anywhere from 150-300 should do it.
For that kind of money in a rifle/scope I'd suggest a good used one. You'll get a heck of a lot better used than you will new for that money in my opinion. Dollar for dollar a new Bushnell scope is tough to beat, and under 150 I believe. Using that example, that'd leave 350, plenty for a very nice used rifle.
I'm partial to Brownings, but that's just a personal thing. A little shopping and you'll know the one when you pick it up, put it to your shoulder, and it's well, just...Right.
Best of luck, be patient and picky.
Old 05-12-2008, 06:39 PM

Hard to beat 870 Rem. If your planning on trying waterfowling 3 inch chamber 12 is pretty much a must have with a suitable choke for steel. A used shotgun will probably be full choke- steel will eventually ruin the barrel.
If your stickly going upland a modified 20 would be my choice.

If I could only own one rifle it would be a 30-06. You'll find a good sellection of ammo anywhere for every critter the law allows.

If your thinking used you might what to read the "average number of shells fired per year/gun" thread. Some of these guys throw more lead down the tube then Clint Eastwood.

Good luck
Old 05-12-2008, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Not sure what entry level means there. I know guys who have shot 870's for years. It's an inexpensive reliable pump shotgun period. Get the synthetic magnum Express and shoot any ammo invented for a 12 gauge, reliably. if I couldn't spend more than $500, that is what I'd get. Got it for my son as a matter of fact. Downed a few birds and plenty of clay at the club too actually.

As for the rifle, I'm assuming that you are including a scope in the equation for $500? For that, I'd REALLY try to save just a bit more, or sweet-talk the wife so you can spend a touch more. You CAN get a Savage combo, but I don't imagine the glass is much to write home about (I'm sure the rifle would be fine).

entry level meaning that for most people buying their first shotgun price is a major decision. had nothing to do with the quality of the gun. as you have said....many people have had them for years etc....wasn't meaning to slag on them or say they are inferior at all. just that it is a good first gun because it gets you shooting for cheap.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:54 PM

by now you probably got the message: if you want one shotgun to do everything Rem 870 Express Super Mag in 12 gauge is the choice. Sounds like damn near everybody one this forum got one and likes it. I do and I love mine. I have other shotguns too but the 870 is still the most useful.

Rifle is a bit more complicated, subjective (that is depends on your needs, tastes, wants) and there are more choices.

My recommendation for that is a Savage bolt action package, preferably in a common calibre 30-06, 308 or 270. I have a Savage I bought as a package a few years back. I have since put a more expensive scope on it but even with the (admittedly crappy) Simmons scope it worked. Many a deer ended up in my freezer due to that gun. And let's just say it's not the gun that limits performance.

The calibre depends a bit on how much shooting you have done, what you want to hunt and how big you are ( I guess you answered the last question for us).
I like the 243 or the 7mm-08 (because I do not enjoy having my dental work rattled and tested every time I go to the range) but the good old military calibres have the advantage that reasonably priced ammo is found everywhere.
So take a good look at a Savage 11something package in 30-06 as a great all araound bolt action rifle.

Unless my recollections betray me a Rem870 and a Savage 111 package together will be less than $1000 and you'll have money left for a few boxes of ammo.

In a few years time you can upgrade the shotty with slug barrels etc and the rifle with a decent scope and you have all you'll ever want for hunting in Alberta.

Hope this helps

Old 05-12-2008, 08:54 PM
jrs

The scenario you describe,
Remington 870 in 12 gauge, you can find a good lightly used one for about $300. I use mine for waterfowl, grouse, and some small game, its served me well.

As for rifle, Steven's model 200 $309 brand new. I'd recommend spending $200 or more on a scope, i bought a cheap Bushnell for my Stevens in 270 (trophy i believe). I'm going to replace it with a 3200 or similar asap, the mid line scopes from Simmons aren't a terrible choice either if you're keeping it affordable. Lots of other choices, that's the cheapest most dependable set up out there though.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:04 PM

Scott N hit her right on the money. All of the cartridges he listed are great, but availablity may be a concern. There's no question why the 30-06 is the number one seller, it will do it all, and at level of recoil that most anyone can get accustomed to, ammo is everywhere, and as cheap as any, so you can shoot more and improve your confidence with the rifle you choose. Don't cheap out on a scope, you want to go with a 3200 elite or above in my books.
Another shotgun to consider is the mossberg 500s, they come in some combo packs with slug barrel at very reasonable prices, although I'd agree and give the 870 the edge.
Check them all out and get a feel for them, as well as the scopes. I like leupolds for the brightness, clarity, weight, and eye relief, it's good to have lots of eye relief as it helps with mounting options. Also I wouldn't hesitate to buy a good used scope, especially a leupy.

Good luck on your purchases, and enjoy.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:21 PM

Default Another Option

I was in this situation when I first moved to Alberta and again when I was working in the Artic and got an oportunity to go on a Caribou hunt. With not a lot of cash and itching to go I purchased 303 Brits both times and never regretted it for a minute.

I've been shooting these since I was 12 years old and for bang for the buck you just can't beat them. Don't let the info online and books fool you they were mostly writen by Americans who never liked or don't truely know the gun.

The Lee Endfield action is smooth and reliable, they hit much harder then numbers would suggest and they reach out there with the best of them.

You still see them in gun shops and pawn shops for 100 to 200 bucks and under 400 for sport stock models. Pull the bolt and make certain the rings are fairly crisp and you should have a good rifle for as long as you want to keep it.

I shot my two best Elk, several nice Caribou and a couple of monster White-tails with one I had since I was a kid and it's never given me a bit of trouble.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:23 PM

HOLY CRAP ....

thanks to everyone who replyed and to those who PM'd me huge help folks . Truely shows what a great bunch of folks are on this thing. Being a first timer , and finding out about all these bullshti licenses a guys gotta get but im not worried its good that they do that keeps the idiots out , anyway thank you guys im just filling out the forms to get the license and looking where I can get booked in to do this exam , as I took it in Jr high threw outdoor wildlife and same as highschool , not sure what that isnt counted but whatever . Ill do it agian and ill be in good shape. Thanks agian to all who replyd.

JOHN
Old 05-12-2008, 09:38 PM
Banned

John, the most important piece of advice I can give.. And yes this comes with experiance. Buy the best you can.
Cheap equipment just doesnt last and you will end up replacing it with the stuff you should have bought in the first place.
Since $$$ is a issue, I would look at buying a used gun. There are plenty of great resources on this board from guys who have a extra gun to sell.
I dont know why your Hunters ed would not count. Perhaps call AHIEA and get the straight goods?

Good luck
Jamie
Old 05-12-2008, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
John, the most important piece of advice I can give.. And yes this comes with experiance. Buy the best you can.
Cheap equipment just doesnt last and you will end up replacing it with the stuff you should have bought in the first place.
Since $$$ is a issue, I would look at buying a used gun. There are plenty of great resources on this board from guys who have a extra gun to sell.
I dont know why your Hunters ed would not count. Perhaps call AHIEA and get the straight goods?

Good luck
Jamie
Thats a heck of an idea. ill look into it . and as far as a used gun goes even better idea then I could probably get a used better quality rifle or shotgun for the same price or darn near used from some one around here or other places , ill start looking into that aswell.
Old 05-13-2008, 04:18 AM

Hey John.....might be a good idea to start off with a 410 until you get used to the recoil.....might be a little much for a guy your size to jump right into a 12

tm
Old 05-13-2008, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGBADJOHN View Post
HOLY CRAP ....

thanks to everyone who replyed and to those who PM'd me huge help folks . Truely shows what a great bunch of folks are on this thing. Being a first timer , and finding out about all these bullshti licenses a guys gotta get but im not worried its good that they do that keeps the idiots out , anyway thank you guys im just filling out the forms to get the license and looking where I can get booked in to do this exam , as I took it in Jr high threw outdoor wildlife and same as highschool , not sure what that isnt counted but whatever . Ill do it agian and ill be in good shape. Thanks agian to all who replyd.

JOHN
Just to clarify, don't confuse you hunter safety with the test for a PAL. There is no limit on your huntersafety that you got in school, but you will have to write a test for your PAL. I think I took mine over a few evenings when I took it. Once you have it, you are good unless you let your PAL lapse. Then, I think you have to take the test again. It is a worthwhile class and covers a lot of information regarding the storage, transportation and use of firearms.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tredeb View Post
Just to clarify, don't confuse you hunter safety with the test for a PAL. There is no limit on your huntersafety that you got in school, but you will have to write a test for your PAL. I think I took mine over a few evenings when I took it. Once you have it, you are good unless you let your PAL lapse. Then, I think you have to take the test again. It is a worthwhile class and covers a lot of information regarding the storage, transportation and use of firearms.
Right on Im just filling out the forms . Ok so where does a guy go take this course and do the test , wonder if they got anything during the day as I could take a day off at any time . Joy of owning your own business.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra Monkey View Post
Hey John.....might be a good idea to start off with a 410 until you get used to the recoil.....might be a little much for a guy your size to jump right into a 12

tm
Yeah thats probably a good point to look at . Even though im a big fawcker I just hate carrying light stuff because the slightist shake and your way off , thats the thing that suck about being a fat tuff guy .
Old 05-13-2008, 12:05 PM

Although I am probably going to be the only one to say this I would recommend a Remington 7600, they are pretty popular out here in the east and quite reliable and accurate. I bought mine used for $300 and couldn’t be happier. There is an advantage in my mind in owning a rifle were the safety and action work exactly the same as the 870 people have been pointing you toward. I have a pump .22, a 7600 and an 870 and when I pick any of them up everything is in the same place and that is nice when a big critter runs by and your brains turn to mush.
Dave
Old 05-13-2008, 12:14 PM

Yeah gotta 760 in 3006. Them guns got quite the recoil, compare to my other 3006's. I think I paid $260 for it brand new.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com

Last edited by honda450; 05-13-2008 at 12:23 PM.
Old 05-15-2008, 03:52 PM

Ok so I talked to the alberta hunters outdoor people am registered into for the F.A.C. course and P.A.L. course both 70 bucks, and Also have to take my hunters ed all over agian which kinda ****es me off. Oh well **** happens.
Thanks agian to everyone who helped me with this.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:29 PM

I personally wouldn't put remington shotguns above mossbergs.

mossberg is the only shotgun manufacturer in the world whos products are mil-spec across the board.

And they tend to be less expensive than remington
Old 07-09-2008, 09:17 PM

John if you would consider a used shotgun,look for a Ithica model 37,they are well made,handle and point very nice due to being light wieght and well balanced.
The one i am using has to be close to 50+ years old and it still functions fine
it has seem use as both waterfowl and upland and is fine for both, other than that the guys are right,look at the Rem 870 i have one as well its 30+ years old seen lots of use and still functions perfectly

have fun
Old 07-12-2008, 01:08 PM

Thumbs up

If I could only own one rifle it would be a 30-06. You'll find a good sellection of ammo anywhere for every critter the law allows

Bang!!! not the same thread but helps me on my first rifle choce between 30.06 and .300 wm.
Old 07-12-2008, 01:15 PM

[QUOTE=Homesteader;147543]Scott N hit her right on the money. All of the cartridges he listed are great, but availablity may be a concern. There's no question why the 30-06 is the number one seller, it will do it all, and at level of recoil that most anyone can get accustomed to, ammo is everywhere, and as cheap as any, so you can shoot more and improve your confidence with the rifle you choose. Don't cheap out on a scope, you want to go with a 3200 elite or above in my books.

Ok that just sealed the deal 30.06 it is. now brand and action? Wood or sinthitic? Gettting closer.
Old 07-25-2008, 07:42 AM

Whats the matter BBJ, Are you tired of catching fish the old fashion way and going to take up shooting fish?
I was looking at a Rem 870 a while back I like the feel and function, but didn't like the finish. Mossbergs are fantastic.