Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-15-2017, 09:29 PM

Default Whey protien

Over last couple of years I have seen a loss in weight. With barely an ounce of fat, I can see a reduction in muscle mass. Old man skinny leg syndrome. Pretty sure that a poor diet plays a role. I found a good deal on a weight bench and weights, but want to make sure that I'm building and not consuming. What do you's find is the best bang for a buck when it comes to protien supplements? Not looking for high tech as much as good value.
Old 11-16-2017, 12:02 AM

Costco has Kaizen whey - good quality at an unbeatable price. Just chocolate and vanilla, but they taste good and dissolve well.

Thing is, it depends if your body can process it, and it's a yes or no deal. Doesn't tend to change over time or exposure. Some people end up bloating up and producing mustard gas. Buy one container and try it before you stock up.

Oats, nuts - especially walnuts and pecans, Greek yogurt, fish, peas, beans and rice, and home made, meat-heavy stews are all good for gaining lean muscle. Also, eat every 3 hours, and make sure you are eating protein with every snack and meal. You will also have to increase your water intake.

I'd advise a check up at your doctor, get blood work done to make sure your heart and kidneys can handle the stress.
Old 11-16-2017, 05:13 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Eat well balanced meals, not hard to do, fuel the body, cardio and strength training...gotta put the time in as there is no quick results but most want to take a pill or a shake and then poof instantly change...not going to happen.

Meal wise, experiment and find what works for you, everyone has different results.

Good luck.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-16-2017, 06:26 AM

Ditto on the"see the doctor" advice, but not for your body's ability to process protein, but for the reasons for the weight loss. I don't know you, or your age, or anything else, but in the world of overweight people loosing weight without trying is kinda atypical. Find the underlying cause
Old 11-16-2017, 07:50 AM

See a doctor for sure. There are few things that can cause weight to come off without any effort that you will want ruled out. Good luck.
Old 11-16-2017, 09:22 AM
Banned

I dont recommend buying your protein at costco
While Kaizen is not a horrible brand there are better protein.
Old 11-16-2017, 09:30 AM

Since you say you are not looking for high tech but a good value, I would suggest the Walmart whey protein powder (Six Star Pro Nutrition) You can buy 4lbs for $44. It's not the best quality but it's at least affordable. If you get too much gas using it, then you may need the more expensive brands. The cheap brands I believe use more whey concentrate than isolate, and that can be hard for some people to digest. I'm lactose intolerant, but after using this brand for a couple of weeks, my stomach adapts quite easily. Eat some cottage cheese at every meal as well.....another cheap source of protein.
Old 11-16-2017, 09:42 AM

Why not just fix your diet? You'd be amazed at how many issue "go away" with eating a proper balanced meal.. And by that I mean less processed foods/etc.etc..
Old 11-16-2017, 09:47 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by molsoncanadian View Post
Since you say you are not looking for high tech but a good value, I would suggest the Walmart whey protein powder (Six Star Pro Nutrition) You can buy 4lbs for $44. It's not the best quality but it's at least affordable. If you get too much gas using it, then you may need the more expensive brands. The cheap brands I believe use more whey concentrate than isolate, and that can be hard for some people to digest. I'm lactose intolerant, but after using this brand for a couple of weeks, my stomach adapts quite easily. Eat some cottage cheese at every meal as well.....another cheap source of protein.
Do NOT buy this crap. It is junk. The amount of fillers and artificial sweeteners is horrible. If you want a source of good protein I can steer you in the right direction. Some good clean whey protein. There is a reason why walmart sells it so cheap. Its garbage!!
Old 11-16-2017, 09:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
Why not just fix your diet? You'd be amazed at how many issue "go away" with eating a proper balanced meal.. And by that I mean less processed foods/etc.etc..
This
Diet and exercise is the best thing you can do for you body. You will be astonished how the body will change by doing these 2 things
Old 11-16-2017, 09:59 AM
Banned

Also. Consider creatine
It promotes muscle hydration and lean muscle mass
It has virtually no side affects and a lot of scientific backing.
Ive been taking it for years
Talk to your doctor first. But it can certainly help
It will also boost your immune system as well
The cheapest form ( creatine monohydrate) is ridiculously cheap and easy to consume with a glass of juice
Old 11-16-2017, 10:03 AM
Banned

Lastly. If you want to gain weight there is one simple rule. You must consume more calories than you will burn daily. Remember healthy fats are as important as protein. I suggest a good diet and then add a protein supplement. Lots of food and dairy contains high amounts of protein. Stay away from soy. Its actually a poor source of protein for the human body
Old 11-16-2017, 10:09 AM

I think I am getting into that old man skinny leg syndrome as well, but with me it seems that when I loose muscle mass it is replaced with fat.

What works best for me is a paleo ketogenic type diet and moderate strength training and moderate cardio. I find that if I overdo either one I start to put on a bit of chub around the gut. There is a scientific explanation for this that involves the production of insulin and the control of stress hormones.

I find that if I keep my processed junk foods to a minimum and get most of my carb from those foods that result in the least glucose production I can get away with eating a lot of delicious fat. For me what works is low carb, moderate protein and don't worry about fat.

My wife is vegetarian and she starts her day with a Costco protein drink with strawberries and blueberries added for flavor. For the sake of convenience I usually join her, but I feel better and stay in better shape if I make it bacon and eggs.

I do believe that if I would have adopted a healthier life style earlier I would now not be dreading the hip replacement in my future.

Good luck doing something about those skinny old man legs
Old 11-16-2017, 10:11 AM

Canadianprotein.com
Order in bulk, unreal value.
Old 11-16-2017, 10:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by juancarlos View Post
Canadianprotein.com
Order in bulk, unreal value.
This.
I order from them frequently. Anything over $100 shipped free to your door. They are in Ont. They have a few tears of protein. My last order was 45 pounds.
Old 11-16-2017, 12:58 PM

I was getting phlegm in my throat and was bloated all the time so I took a food sensitivity test. they take your blood, test it, and come back with a list of foods that you either have no sensitivity to, have a slight sensitivity to, or your body just doesn't plain agree with on the list. Whey was on my bad list amongst other things so taking whey protein for me was just defeating the purpose. brewers yeast was also on there....
Old 11-16-2017, 03:28 PM

Check out Planet Organic on Elbow Drive in Calgary, they have pure whey concentrate in bulk at 69 cents per 100 grams. Best deal I've seen.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:39 PM

What’s whey protein? Never heard of it...

Old 11-16-2017, 08:51 PM

In all seriousness, the OP needs to focus on what his current diet is deficient in. Sounds like more than protein is needed. Calorie dense foods are very important. Stay away from empty calories that will impede your goals of gaining quality weight. I would also suggest blood work and and include getting your testosterone checked.
Old 11-16-2017, 11:11 PM

^ditto on all comments regarding your nutrition & seeing a doctor. Supplements are just that, supplemental to a proper diet.

With that said, if you want a stellar Whey Protein, go for Optimium Nutrition's Gold Standard.

I order all of my stuff through SVN Canada. They fill orders quickly, ship fast and often have solid sales. They're based out of Mission/Abbotsford:

https://www.svncanada.com/product/39...-gold-standard

It's not your cheapo, bulk brand protein but if you care what goes into your body, it's arguably the best product on the market.
Old 11-16-2017, 11:38 PM

I have Hemochromotosis and lost a lot of weight, mostly muscle mass. Different meds, eating better (and more often) has helped me gain some weight and muscle. One of the things that helped a lot is drinking Ensure.
I prefer the chocolate flavoured stuff and drink about 4-6 of them a day.
I love chocolate milk but am lactose intolerant and they taste just like it, without the lactose.
My legs were getting to be like twigs so I also walk a lot more than I used to and take the stair instead of an elevator.

Not the same for everyone so do check with a Dr to see if something's wrong like the posters above have already mentioned.
Old 11-17-2017, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
Costco has Kaizen whey - good quality at an unbeatable price. Just chocolate and vanilla, but they taste good and dissolve well.

Thing is, it depends if your body can process it, and it's a yes or no deal. Doesn't tend to change over time or exposure. Some people end up bloating up and producing mustard gas. Buy one container and try it before you stock up.

Oats, nuts - especially walnuts and pecans, Greek yogurt, fish, peas, beans and rice, and home made, meat-heavy stews are all good for gaining lean muscle. Also, eat every 3 hours, and make sure you are eating protein with every snack and meal. You will also have to increase your water intake.

I'd advise a check up at your doctor, get blood work done to make sure your heart and kidneys can handle the stress.
Spot on - particularly increasing your water intake.

They don't get big by being dumb.
Old 11-17-2017, 06:59 AM

I'll echo what a few others have said already. Canada protein is great. I haven't been able to find a better price on protein.

I buy their whey isolate 11 lbs at a time and qualify for free shipping by adding one or two things to my order. They have a plethora of flavors that mostly taste good, and you can order sample packs to see what flavor you like best.

They also sell BCAA's, pre-workout, multi-vitamins, etc, all of which I've been happy with.

I'm sure there are better quality products out there, but this works for my budget.
Old 11-17-2017, 09:45 AM

Thanks for the comments. Back in my younger days I was a very active guy. Ran marathon, biked, gym, ski, karate. In my fifties I concentrated on career. Long days, stress, coffee, smoking, poor diet. As I enter my sixties, I've decided to make some corrections. Smoking was first, now the diet. My interest in protien supplement was to fill the gaps on those days where I knew I'd fall short.
Old 11-17-2017, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyAlberta View Post
Thanks for the comments. Back in my younger days I was a very active guy. Ran marathon, biked, gym, ski, karate. In my fifties I concentrated on career. Long days, stress, coffee, smoking, poor diet. As I enter my sixties, I've decided to make some corrections. Smoking was first, now the diet. My interest in protien supplement was to fill the gaps on those days where I knew I'd fall short.
I think it is never too late to make better choices. All the best
Old 11-17-2017, 10:11 AM

Agree with above, good for you for addressing your health concerns! Good luck, stay positive and keep up the good work
Old 11-19-2017, 07:41 PM
Banned

Moose Meat !!!
Old 01-01-2018, 02:04 PM

So, over the last six weeks I’ve gained back 7 lbs and am diligent with a basic weight routine. Feeling WAY better, and am discovering in the process that my grocery dollars can buy good nutrient value when I cut out the crap. Sugar content way down. Saved enough from smokes to do a trip to Whistler next week for my first ski trip in eight years. Stop in Chilliwack to float for some Steelhead. Next step is to get back to karate.
Old 01-01-2018, 02:13 PM

Quote:
So, over the last six weeks I’ve gained back 7 lbs and am diligent with a basic weight routine. Feeling WAY better, and am discovering in the process that my grocery dollars can buy good nutrient value when I cut out the crap. Sugar content way down. Saved enough from smokes to do a trip to Whistler next week for my first ski trip in eight years. Stop in Chilliwack to float for some Steelhead. Next step is to get back to karate.

Thomas Sowell
Old 01-01-2018, 02:28 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Good on ya, throw the smokes out, enjoy the trips with the money saved and the health to go along with it is a added bonus.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...