Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-26-2017, 10:54 PM

Default 3D printing?

Do some of you have printers ? What have you made or got custom made ?
I find it interesting any resources you'd recommend to learn about it ?

Is there different materials being used ?
Old 04-26-2017, 11:10 PM

Yup....
We make it all
Small hand tools
Skidoo parts

Cutlery
Bowls cups stuff

Your limited by you imagination.

We've even got a portable 3D scanner..... we scan objects, pets, people.

If you check out the Shapeways website, they can print in gold,silver, platinum, steel, ceramics.... you name it.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 04-27-2017, 08:43 AM

I think Ken07AOVette has been fiddling with them for a while now.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=298850
Old 04-27-2017, 09:32 AM

We just picked up a formlabs printer. Not sure I like it. I guess you get what you pay for at 5000 bucks.
Old 04-27-2017, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjuanworm View Post
We just picked up a formlabs printer. Not sure I like it. I guess you get what you pay for at 5000 bucks.
Got any examples? Honesty for units now that is pretty high end. You can buy kits for <$150 and prebuilt for <$300
Old 11-14-2017, 02:13 PM

I have been printing a lot again, just picked up a Makerbot Z18 again.

This one has a huge print area, 12x12x18"

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 11-14-2017, 02:17 PM

Our engineering group has been printing stuff for quite a while now. Its nice to print all the stuff first and see how it all goes together and somewhat functions. Saves a lot of cash not having to send the drawings to the machine shop only to find out some design errors were not noticed.
Old 11-15-2017, 01:47 AM

Dare to dream a dream and you can print it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZVKP3OqL7w
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 11-15-2017, 08:35 AM

Got one for my nephews for Christmas a few years back. The older one wants to be an engineer, so I thought this might open some learning avenues. It seems to have. He sells enough little knick knacks to pay for more plastic. Honestly hoped he'd use that as an avenue to get into the design side. He's only 16, so maybe he will as his education towards engineering continues.
Old 11-15-2017, 08:49 AM

With Christmas coming is there a model of printer that is a great entry
level unit ?
Something that is strong on reliability and a good unit for a teen to learn on ?
Old 11-15-2017, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancid Crabtree View Post
With Christmas coming is there a model of printer that is a great entry
level unit ?
Something that is strong on reliability and a good unit for a teen to learn on ?
There are a few things to consider. The biggest is safety. The cheaper ones and even some of the expensive ones have burnt houses to the ground. Also some of the filaments are toxic when printing, particularly ABS.
You can get kits cheap,, but they can be very aggravating to set up, especially with no real support from the distributor.
I would recommend looking on kijiji for a good used unit, and have the owner do a simple print before you get there.
I started with a flash forge creator dual, then added my own enclosure for ABS. They retail for just over $1100 mile cost $400. Also I had to buy simplify3d, which cost another $150usd for the license. Firmament is about $25 per roll 2 lbs.
you can get cheap little printers but the give cheap little prints. I have seen desktop units with a 6x6x6 print bed go for $99. I have seen deals where if you buy rolls of filament you get a cheap printer free.
Let's start with budget, how much are you thinking?

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 11-15-2017, 10:42 AM

Thanks Ken
Because of the knowledge a kid could gain and help in life I'm willing to spend well beyond usual Christmas gifts.
Didn't have a price range in mind because I didn't know what the options were.
I also hadn't thought of the fire risk or fumes. Probably won't be running in the house knowing that - out in welding area of shop.
Would need to be running for under 1000 prefer under 700. Probably rather go smaller platform and easier to use and can up grade later.

I know a young fella much more tech interested than I am and I'd like to see him gain skills to build on.
Old 11-15-2017, 12:16 PM

I would very seriously look into a Flashforge Creator Pro 2016

If I did not have 2 already, I would buy this particular one in a heartbeat

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/used/...xoCn-AQAvD_BwE

(1)
Flashforge Creator Pro 3D Printer
B&H # 1465695 MFR # 3D-FFG-NPRO Used Dept.
Build Volume: 8.9 x 5.7 x 5.9"
100 Micron Layer Resolution
Dual Extruders for 2-Color Printing
Uses ABS & PLA Filament
Print from SD Card or USB
Integrated LCD Screen
Acrylic Cover to Protect Filament
Sturdy Metal Frame
2 Spools of Filament Included
Mac, Windows, & Linux Compatible
Item Condition : 9
In Stock
Order by 4pm to ship today
Free Shipping to Canada on Orders over $99 USD

Old 11-15-2017, 12:39 PM

I spent $400 on a Hictop 18dp off of amazon. Took about 1/2 day to assemble. Printed an item as soon as it was assembled. I have also spent time tinkering with it. Replaced some parts with more beefier parts I printed. No matter what printer you buy there is a huge learning curve on how best it works, the settings in the slicer are very important. All software can be found for free, opensource. Openscad, Slic3r, cura. I have had it for about 10 months figured it the quirks and I would put the print quality up there with machines that cost thousands. No matter how much you spend they require lots of TLC to get good results.
Old 11-15-2017, 02:26 PM

If you just want to try one out before buying, the Edmonton Public Library has 3D printers for use by the public. You create the file, take it to the library and they put you in the printer line. Depending on how many people are lined up your print might be ready anywhere from a few days to a couple of weeks. Its very cheap too, they charge based on how much filament you use.
Old 11-15-2017, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
Yup....
We make it all
Small hand tools
Skidoo parts

Cutlery
Bowls cups stuff

Your limited by you imagination.

We've even got a portable 3D scanner..... we scan objects, pets, people.

If you check out the Shapeways website, they can print in gold,silver, platinum, steel, ceramics.... you name it.
What else can you make? Are people mostly using these for parts for machinery and such? I like the technology but I haven't really seen something that blew me away. I saw the guy building gun parts and his struggle to find the right materials to contain the pressure, but other than that it mostly looks like people are printing knick knacks and machine parts.
Old 11-15-2017, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Huntnfish View Post
What else can you make? Are people mostly using these for parts for machinery and such? I like the technology but I haven't really seen something that blew me away. I saw the guy building gun parts and his struggle to find the right materials to contain the pressure, but other than that it mostly looks like people are printing knick knacks and machine parts.
Toys for the grandkids, Halloween and Christmas decorations that sell like crazy, I made a set of custom drawers and cabinets for the radio box of my boat that you could not buy I searched everywhere. They turned out excellent. You are only limited by the size of the printer bed and your imagination. You can print carbon fiber wood filament metal sintered filament nylon clear etc. You can 3D print your own r/c airplanes and drones parts for both it's really Limitless

Old 11-15-2017, 04:35 PM

What are the final tolerances like? Someone had mentioned printing parts before machining them from metal. Are the finished printed parts that good that final machining would not be needed? Or would you still machine the rough printed parts prior to test assembly?
Old 11-15-2017, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nast70 View Post
What are the final tolerances like? Someone had mentioned printing parts before machining them from metal. Are the finished printed parts that good that final machining would not be needed? Or would you still machine the rough printed parts prior to test assembly?
If you have a real good designer and a great slicing program combined with a very good printer, no machining required. The better you want the more you spend though, of course.

Old 11-15-2017, 08:11 PM

Has anyone printed off a Maglula type universal 9mm mag loader? I'd be interested in one... currently too broke to afford one, and the wife always makes me load the stiff 92FS mags lol
Old 11-15-2017, 11:57 PM
Banned

Its amazing what they're doing with 3d printing... everything from houses to bone replacements/repairs... it seems limitless.