Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 09-16-2017, 08:55 PM

Default Archery moose advice

Hey all just looking for some opinions here, tomorrow is the last day I can get out for moose. Just this evening I found a new area after all the spots I scoured earlier in the year were duds come September. There is a wide light brushed in outline that runs about a km to a big powerline. I bumped a cow and yearling pair part way down it, there was beds everywhere as well as some wallows/small ponds as well as a couple of fresh rubs. Once I hit the powerline there is beds and tracks everywhere along it as well and you can see a mile plus. Further down and over from the powerlines is an old logging block with 20ft spruce spaced wide along with some willow and alders. I bumped another cow out of a lease at the edge of this. My question is as a newbie archery hunter hoping to capitalize where would you hunt tomorrow and what tactics would you use? Thanks to any who reply
Old 09-20-2017, 06:44 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Get the wind in your face, walk in slow, and sit for at least on hour, watch and listen, cow calls, long and horny as you can get them, wait 30 minutes, grunt, snap branches, rub tree's act like a bull, grunts, all while slowly moving to another place, cow call, sit and wait, watch...repeat, sometimes the Bulls come in like ghosts and sometimes like a freight train...your in the right area so mingle and find a partner...now go get'em

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-20-2017, 08:14 AM

I think the advice he's looking for now is hot or mild pepperoni.
Old 09-20-2017, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo Snukkle View Post
I think the advice he's looking for now is hot or mild pepperoni.
You are correct sir good advice 58thecat that is basically the plan I went in with things just happened a lot sooner then expected!