Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 08-24-2017, 07:47 PM

Default Cold weather Archery friendly coats

What do you guys wear if your hunting cold weather and sitting in a stand? Was looking at some stuff at Cabelas for my sheep hunt. Trying to find some windproof/Waterproof white camo. Got a Jacket picked out with 150gram insulation I am thinking might work but figured I would ask here and see what you guys are using.
http://www.cabelas.com/product/WATER...Bgear%2Bjacket
Here is what I was thinking of getting
Old 08-24-2017, 07:57 PM

I know it's not white but I use ASAT leafy cammo, it's sewn onto a mesh. I can put it over any kind of clothing and it's effective. Using a lightweight cammo cover gives you so much freedom to choose clothing that works instead of clothing that's the right colour.
Old 08-24-2017, 08:06 PM
Banned

Sitka is expensive, and for the most part not really worth the premium, but they make fitted clothing that is an excellent choice for archery where being able to move freely is a must. I have a couple different suits and they are my favorite when it comes to archery season. Rifle season is a different story.
Old 08-24-2017, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
I know it's not white but I use ASAT leafy cammo, it's sewn onto a mesh. I can put it over any kind of clothing and it's effective. Using a lightweight cammo cover gives you so much freedom to choose clothing that works instead of clothing that's the right colour.
How do you like the AS AT leafy camo? I was looking at a set the other day.

Now I look around and wonder if I like them!
Old 08-24-2017, 09:45 PM

Consider using a vest/vests to keep your core warm and keep the bulk off your arm. Also shortening your draw by 1/4-1/2" can make a big difference in whether your string is clear from contact at the moment of truth.

LC
Old 08-24-2017, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog Edm View Post

Two years ago I shot a deer at 10 feet ...on the ground. Other than a gillie suit it's the best that I've found. Be sure to get the head piece too.
Old 08-25-2017, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldog Edm View Post
2 or 3 years ago I bought the 3-d leafy suit from asat. I believe it was $189.00 usd at the time when I bought it off their website. So after exchange and shipping, it cost me about $250 Canadian. I was extremely disappointed with the quality of the garment for this price. Pictures on the website were fairly deceiving. If it was in the $50-$75 dollar range, it'd be a better buy. However, I do think It's a good way to break up your outline, and I use it every season. I just think that it is way overpriced!!
Old 08-25-2017, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Two years ago I shot a deer at 10 feet ...on the ground. Other than a gillie suit it's the best that I've found. Be sure to get the head piece too.
I was looking at a complete set (pants, shirt and the bellaclava) it also car with a bunch of scent removers and was about $180 Canadian. I think I might go back and pick it up as my birthday gift to myself this year lol

Now I look around and wonder if I like them!
Old 08-28-2017, 07:18 PM

I used a first lite uncompaghre puffy in 410 last year and it was great. Should be able to try one on at jimbows or milarm
Old 08-28-2017, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
I used a first lite uncompaghre puffy in 410 last year and it was great. Should be able to try one on at jimbows or milarm
My latest thinking for cold weather hunting on the move goes like this..... Good base layer, wool sweater, puffy jacket (Costco $20.00), down vest (value village $8.00), Berber fleece over jacket (got one at value village $20.00/cabelas has them too). Pants, wool with a windproof liner and possibly down over pants for sitting.

I haven't hunted sheep but we all know how brutal it can be in a treestand trying to sit it out. I don't envy you up there in November but I'll probably be there in a year or two when I get the draw....

Mitts....leather mitts, wool liner and hand warmers when needed.
Very cold weather fur mitts with felted wool liners.

A lightweight down sleeping bag might be the nicest thing to crawl into with all your clothing if you have to wait in one spot for awhile.
Old 08-29-2017, 06:23 AM

This pull over coat from Day One Camo has to be one of the best stand coats I've used. For your colder sits get the insulated and wind stop lining.
Awesome bowhunting coat for hunters designed by a bowhunter.
https://dayonecamouflage.com/tops/fl...r-shirt-fleece
Old 08-29-2017, 08:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
These are really good jackets. Fitted so they fit snug, a bit stretchy, warm (kind of), and have a nice hood.
Otherwise get a down puffy and a shell. More bulk but much warmer
Old 08-29-2017, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
These are really good jackets. Fitted so they fit snug, a bit stretchy, warm (kind of), and have a nice hood.
Otherwise get a down puffy and a shell. More bulk but much warmer
Yeah when the wind picked up I would put my rain jacket over top and that cut it nicely. Couple fitted merino base layers and a fleece sweater as well. No problems shooting my bow. Finding a legal ram was another story....
Old 08-29-2017, 11:40 AM

For really cold weather I'd look at the Woodbury Jacket from First Lite. Its designed with the tree stand in mind and I've shot my bow very successfully while wearing one. Can't say enough good things about this jacket! The already discussed Uncompahgre is a GREAT option too.

http://www.firstlite.com/woodbury-jacket.html
Old 08-29-2017, 02:38 PM

What ever you decide, if the bulk of the jacket is getting in the way while shooting, a good fix is to put a sock with the toe side cut off over your jacket on your bow holding arm. Holds in the bulk so the string doesn't hit the jacket on your arm while shooting.
Old 08-29-2017, 02:48 PM

A indulated camo lumber jacket that's not to bulky.

And that makes no noise when scratched or rubbed on anything.

Quiet and comfortable is just a opinion as we find what works best for us
Old 08-29-2017, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcbride View Post
What ever you decide, if the bulk of the jacket is getting in the way while shooting, a good fix is to put a sock with the toe side cut off over your jacket on your bow holding arm. Holds in the bulk so the string doesn't hit the jacket on your arm while shooting.
Great idea. Beats big elastics lol
Tried on the Puffy First Lite Jacket today and man alive its lite weight and warm. $310 tho lol I might get it.
Old 08-29-2017, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Great idea. Beats big elastics lol
Tried on the Puffy First Lite Jacket today and man alive its lite weight and warm. $310 tho lol I might get it.

Seriously look at the Costco puffy down jackets...40 bucks you could buy two and be snug as hell
Old 08-29-2017, 11:36 PM

Good ideas guys. Thanks
Old 08-30-2017, 12:15 PM

You better try shooting a few shots if you plan on wearing puffy jackets over down vests and several other under garmets. They can cause a lot of string interference. Not only the arm but the chest area too. I had bought a new expensive but warm ( and puffy) jacket from cabela's couple years ago thinking it would be my go to late November bowhunting jacket. Ended up selling it due to string interference. They may be great for rifle but bow's can be a different story
Old 09-02-2017, 07:54 PM

Default Uncompaghre

Quote:
Second that on the Uncompaghre. I think First Lite designed it for archery. If you want a size L in ASAT, PM me - I have one for sale...
Old 09-04-2017, 09:06 PM

IWOM suit hands down. Check them out online, pricey but you can use them at sporting events or even as a sleeping bag

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-04-2017, 09:12 PM

IWOM, heater suits ...that stuff is all great and I have a heater suit that I made and use a lot...I wouldn't use that kind of thing for sheep hunting which is what this is for.