Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-28-2008, 08:51 AM

Default looking at .22 rifle

i am looking for a single shot rifle for my son to learn on (and me to shoot birds with) .can anybody recomend one, i was looking at a henry single shot stainless/synthetic,any thoughts?
Old 07-28-2008, 12:43 PM

Get a 10-22 and just give him one bullet at a time
Old 07-28-2008, 01:22 PM

How big is your boy? Buy according to his size, a rifle too long, or too heavy for him will not help hold his intrest or help his skills develope.
Henry, Cricket, Savage, all make good youth model single shot 22's, head to a well stocked gun shop, and test fit them. Unfortunatly these small rifles will be out grown, but alas the buy sell section on here and other forums will help other folks and keep your gun cabnet un cluttered.

There are no absolutes
Old 07-28-2008, 02:32 PM

Default :

Forsure go with the henry mini bolt they are awesome light little guns and have deadly fibre optic sights so good for birds and ur son...
Old 07-28-2008, 05:51 PM

You didn't say how big your boy is, but my next 22 will be a Savage Mark ll Classic T (T for thumb-hole stock). It's a bolt action with a 10 shot clip, so you can't rip through the bullets like a semi-auto. I like it for a number of reasons.
1) It has a 24 inch barrel, so the velocity (and PB range) will be better than anything with a shorter barrel.
2) It comes with Accu-Trigger, which is a definite plus, if you remember to put the safety on.
3) It has a thumb-hole stock, which isn't quite like a pistol-grip, but still puts your wrist in a more comfortable position.
4) Savage has good accuracy right out of the box.
It weighs 6lb 3oz, which may be a little heavy, depending on the size if your boy.
They make the same rifle with a conventional type walnut stock, which weighs the same.

http://www.savagearms.com/markII_classicT.htm

If your heart's set on a single-shot, disregard the foregoing. lol
Old 07-28-2008, 07:52 PM

Pick up a used co-oey 39.The problem with the kid sized guns as already stated is they are quickly outgrown and then useless.I have a Marlin youth SS that now fits no one?With the Co-oey you just buy another stock at a gun show and cut one and leave the other full sized for later.I did the same with a Co-oey .410 and a 20ga.Just get spare stocks.....................Harold
Old 07-28-2008, 09:56 PM

i was thinking about that ,just cutting a stock down and having another when he out grows it ,something like a 10/22,lots of aftermarket stuff ,learn how to shoot it safely then trick it out when he is older .but ,then i will have to get one as well,he he
cheers
Old 07-29-2008, 01:28 AM

Default Why would you sell?

I bought my girls the Stevens cub cadet or what ever it is called. $180 at Russells. Fairly accurate even though the trigger is no great shakes. The girls are 10 and 11. They have both killed gophers with it. Even when they do outgrow it, I'll probably keep it. Where else do you find such a lightweight, compact 22 at such a low price? I kind of like it myself and could see taking it on a big game trip for upland birds of opportunity. Even though it is obviously too small (length of pull) for a 6'1" 245lb man, I find that I can easily shoot it accurately, even from field positions. I think it is a keeper!
Old 07-31-2008, 10:28 PM

I got my daughter a Henry minibolt to learn on, it's been a good gun for her, she's seven now and should be able to shoot it for a few more years. I occasionally steal it and take it hunting and use it for a chicken gun so I'm not worried about it becoming useless when she outgrows it.