Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-20-2008, 11:48 PM

Default 45-110 or 45-120

well I,m undecided
should i buy a sharps for $3,500
or a pedersoli for $1,800 should i get a 45-120 or a 45-110
also looking at a muzzle loader undecided there as well
should i be getting a biggs 45 cal or should i get a .577 whitworth ??
wanting some long range black powder sihlouette guns
what youre opinions??????
Old 07-21-2008, 06:18 AM

Having owned more than a few BPCR rifles in several different calibers I can tell you that the 45/90, 110, and 120 will do absolutely NOTHING more than the 45/70 will, EXCEPT to make more smoke and hurt you more!!

I have owned two diffeetn pedersolis, as those that say they are inferior to a C Sharps, Shilo, etc, are looking through rose coloured glasses.
The guns are just as accurate, just not made in the States.

If you want one however, fill your boots and be prepared to wait for a very long time to receive your rifle.
Or you can contact shooter's Choice and have them ship you one which they may just have in stock.

The Uberti rifles are very good quality as well, Blackman has a very nice one , and the 40.65 I had was a great rifle also, very accurate.
The Pedersolis are fine as well, but I am not a fan of the Sharps action , liking the Highwall better.
the sharps comes apart FAST for cleaning however, which is a very big advantage.
In the end , it is what you want , not what is more accurate, because the Italians will run with the American rifles, no matter who says so!
Cat
Old 07-21-2008, 03:13 PM

That is pretty much what I have heard from other black powder geeks too Cat. I heard one more nugget of wisdom that I would be interested to hear your take on:

One of the fellers was saying that barrels longer than 30" were more prone to fouling too...and that they used some kind of 'lubricant cookie' to help cope with the fouling. (I don't know what the fella is talking about, I only know enough about BPCR's to be dangerous). Is any of that true in your opinion?

I have seen the pedersoli rifles up close and they are truly handsome rifles. I think alot of the US custom makers are more about snob-appeal than anything else.
Old 07-21-2008, 03:45 PM

The grease cookie is but one of the keys to BPCR rifle accuracy.
The others are the powder charge itself, bullet to bore ratio, bullet lube, the beeswax over powder wad, and the bulletbase wad.

In essence, the bullet, once properly sized to the bore( depending on groove and land diameter) is lubed with bullet lube, then the proper amount of powder goes in, and a baeswad of beeswax goes over that.
The grease cookie itself is a different mix than the bullet lube, a bit softer.
I squeeze enough out of an automotive syringe to go across the case mouth .
When the bullet with the basewad ( made of milk carton) is seated properly, the bullet will hit the lands of the rifleing, the cartridge will ignite , and when the powder heads down the barrel it will be easier to clean, the buulet base will be protected, and the bullet will have enough lube to withstand the pressure against the barrel.

so, short answer - YUP! There is such a thing as a grease cookie and such.
Without it, there is a mess of inaccuracy.
With it, you can fire multiple shots with confidence knowing that when you go to clkean there will be no leading and cleaning will be easy.
All this can be found in a very excellent book by Paul Mathews, BTW.
Cat
Old 07-23-2008, 04:24 PM

"The Pedersolis are fine as well, but I am not a fan of the Sharps action , liking the Highwall better.
the sharps comes apart FAST for cleaning however, which is a very big advantage."

Hey Cat, being a total neophyte regarding BPCR, what is it that makes you prefer the Highwall to a Sharps? I have the hots for a rifle in this genre so I need as much info as my feeble hard drive can absorb. Thanks.

Cheers
Old 07-24-2008, 12:31 AM

well i done did it, On my way home from houston tx I stoped at cabella's and low and behold there they wuz a quigley in a 45-120 and a Gibbs in a 45 cal ( both pedersoli,s wth vernier sights )and jeez golly i had to go and buy a kodiak double 54 cal muzzle loader also
then it was 2 hrs on the phone and faxing back and forth to LEROY'S BIG VALLEY GUN WORKS and soon, hmmmmmmmm up to 6 months after all the gvmt paper work
i will do a trip to Regway SK and pick up my toys

I cant wait LOL
any one know any reloading info on metalic black powder cartriges??????
I,d sure apreaciate it if u would share some info
and now cabella's in Omaha NE know how to sell a canadian a fire arm now
Old 07-24-2008, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywrench View Post
Hey Cat, being a total neophyte regarding BPCR, what is it that makes you prefer the Highwall to a Sharps? I have the hots for a rifle in this genre so I need as much info as my feeble hard drive can absorb. Thanks.

Cheers
The Highwall has a faster lock time and a hammer system that is not nearly so "in your face"
They are generally a lighter action as well, but as strong as the Sharps style.
Cat
Old 07-24-2008, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by u_cant_rope_the_wind View Post
well i done did it, On my way home from houston tx I stoped at cabella's and low and behold there they wuz a quigley in a 45-120 and a Gibbs in a 45 cal ( both pedersoli,s wth vernier sights )and jeez golly i had to go and buy a kodiak double 54 cal muzzle loader also
then it was 2 hrs on the phone and faxing back and forth to LEROY'S BIG VALLEY GUN WORKS and soon, hmmmmmmmm up to 6 months after all the gvmt paper work
i will do a trip to Regway SK and pick up my toys

I cant wait LOL
any one know any reloading info on metalic black powder cartriges??????
I,d sure apreaciate it if u would share some info
and now cabella's in Omaha NE know how to sell a canadian a fire arm now
Those pedersoli Kodiaks are AWESOME rifles!!
I always wanted to buy on in 45/70, just never busted a move on it.
CONGTRATULATIONS!!
Let me get this straight, you bought ALL THREE??!!

Track of the Wolf has a both of Paul Mathews books on loading and shooting BPCR rilfes, and I strongly recommend buying them, they are chock full of great info.

His bullet and grease cookie lube recipes are better than any bullet lube I have ever bought ......
Cat
Old 07-31-2008, 05:56 PM

yup i bought all three i found that it was cheaper if i bought all 3 at once than if i was to buy one at a time and import them seperately