Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 01-08-2012, 04:29 PM

Question Black squirrels

So im ny trips to the mountains 400, 402. I have seen many many black squirrels. The are the same size as red squirrels so I am assuming they are just a color phase. But the numbers im seeing are odd for a color phase. Being a northern boy red ones were all Iv seen. Does anyone have any answers for me??? And I would like to get a couple for tanning to put up on my wall, since I cant trap them would a pellet gun be to much damage or should I just use a sling shot???
Old 01-08-2012, 05:26 PM

if u don't want to keep the head use a pellet gun aim just behind the eye and you'll take them everytime
Old 01-08-2012, 05:27 PM

When you get one - be sure to post a photo. I've seen black Columbia ground-squirrels, - but I've never seen or heard of a black Red squirrel.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
When you get one - be sure to post a photo. I've seen black Columbia ground-squirrels, - but I've never seen or heard of a black Red squirrel.
Hmm, I will post pics for sure, I am thinking of digging out the ol sling shot and putting a new band on it and taking that. Yea these things are definatly tree squirrels, the last one I seen had a nice white crest on it. I may have to change my predator tactics and go and bag me a couple of these squirrels so I can post pics
Old 01-08-2012, 06:25 PM

The only black squirrels I've heard about and seen are along the river in Calgary. I think they escaped from the zoo years ago and have been gradually expanding north and south along the river valley.

Quote:
large black, brown and grey squirrels are different colour morphs of one species -- the Eastern Grey Squirrel. This squirrel was introduced to Calgary from it's native range in eastern North America by the Calgary Zoo in the mid-1960s and has become the dominant tree squirrel in most city communities. The smaller reddish squirrels with the white rings around their eyes are Red Squirrels which are native to our region and across forested northern North America and the mountains.
http://talkaboutwildlife.ca/learn/faq/squirrel.php
Old 01-08-2012, 06:27 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockyhunter View Post
The only black squirrels I've heard about and seen are along the river in Calgary. I think they escaped from the zoo years ago and have been gradually expanding north and south along the river valley.

http://talkaboutwildlife.ca/learn/faq/squirrel.php
X2......
Old 01-08-2012, 06:40 PM

Default i gotta get one and post pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
X2......
Well I assumed the same thing other then the calgary squirrels are huge compared to these lil guys. Well so far from what I can tell and what im assuming is these are odd ones I will have to go out and bag one and post up some pics. I will try and head out again here before weeks end and Ill bring one home. Ill try and get a regular one to, too show the size comparision. So now I guess how would I skin em out for a rug??? do the skin take off like a sock or due it how you would a bear or cat??
Old 01-08-2012, 09:43 PM

I grew up in Ontario we only had Black or grey squirrels
Old 01-08-2012, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winger7mm View Post
Well I assumed the same thing other then the calgary squirrels are huge compared to these lil guys. Well so far from what I can tell and what im assuming is these are odd ones I will have to go out and bag one and post up some pics. I will try and head out again here before weeks end and Ill bring one home. Ill try and get a regular one to, too show the size comparision. So now I guess how would I skin em out for a rug??? do the skin take off like a sock or due it how you would a bear or cat??
I skin mine like a deer haha
Old 01-08-2012, 11:45 PM

Winger,

Are these squirrels on Private or Public land?

I'm sure you can guess where I'm going with this.
Old 01-09-2012, 12:48 AM

Could they be Northern Flying Squirrels? About the same size as a Red Squirrel and usually gray in colour. Or maybe Bushy-tailed Wood Rats? - also grey.
Or maybe just very dark red Red Squirrels - this time of year they often have an almost dark walnut colour.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:29 AM

Red squirrels in the southwest are darker, almost all squirrels I see in Waterton have black tails, never seen one that is all black though.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
Winger,

Are these squirrels on Private or Public land?

I'm sure you can guess where I'm going with this.

hehehe, yea yea lol. Most Iv seen are on public lands but I do have a few spots where I have access too. Iv never seen bushy tailed wood rats?? And iv seen a couple flying squirrels (usually wrapped up in a barbwired fence) But Iv had lots of squirrel hunting in my past. Back home I hunted them for years on our property when I wasnt in school. I had alot of gear for them streching boards and what not. But I gave it up to persue larger game when I was old enough. Ill post pics when I can make it out. Thanks for the replies everyone, makes me wanna get one more just to post pics and show you what im seeing lmao