Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 01-05-2012, 09:44 PM
Banned

Default Lets see you trappers skin this one!

A friend sent me this, from his line in NB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg minnowinaconibear.jpg (105.0 KB, 596 views)
Old 01-05-2012, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertadeer View Post
A friend sent me this, from his line in NB
LOL thats funny.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:09 AM

Either a mink or muskrat is playing a little trick on the trapper.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:16 AM
Gone Hunting

With a good sharp knife, I think I could accomplish the task.
The skinning that is, the catching, not so much.

Whoever trapped that is a better trapper then I.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:49 AM

That one interesting thing about trapping , you never know what will show up .Like many of you some of my surprise catches have been the coolest , a bobcat in a coyote snare , a 10 # pike in a 330 , and my biggest to date , a cow in my 330 set on a fox hole .. Dad was not impressed .
Old 01-06-2012, 08:13 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
That one interesting thing about trapping , you never know what will show up .Like many of you some of my surprise catches have been the coolest , a bobcat in a coyote snare , a 10 # pike in a 330 , and my biggest to date , a cow in my 330 set on a fox hole .. Dad was not impressed .
I haven't caught anything especially interesting. Accidental catches were mostly Flying Squirrel or Whiskey Jack.

However, a Beaver once caught dad with one of dad's traps.
The old man had set a 330 on a slide where Beaver were going over a dam.
Mr. Beaver drug the trap away and used it as part of his dam building material, and he didn't even trigger it in the process. When the old man returned to check his set he found the trap missing. There was a cut in the dam that he had made and he could see where the beaver had been working on the far side of this cut, so he hopped across to the other side, and landed both feet right in the center of that 330. It triggered and caught him just above the tops of his boots.
It took him a couple of hours to figure out how to remove that trap. It's not easy to compress the spring when both your feet are in the trap you are trying to release, aperantly.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
I haven't caught anything especially interesting. Accidental catches were mostly Flying Squirrel or Whiskey Jack.

Mr. Beaver drug the trap away and used it as part of his dam building material, and he didn't even trigger it in the process. When the old man returned to check his set he found the trap missing. There was a cut in the dam that he had made and he could see where the beaver had been working on the far side of this cut, so he hopped across to the other side, and landed both feet right in the center of that 330. It triggered and caught him just above the tops of his boots.
It took him a couple of hours to figure out how to remove that trap. It's not easy to compress the spring when both your feet are in the trap you are trying to release, aperantly.
I can just imagine what kind of scene that would have been. I would think that would be quite the challenge to get out of.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:06 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post

Glad it worked out ok. A 330 can be deadly in a water set, especially, but anytime. Get caught and not get out and hypothermia can kill fairly quickly in some cases.
I used to carry a set of tongs to prevent a case of a premature fire.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 01-06-2012, 10:23 AM

Aewsome pic!!!!
Old 01-07-2012, 11:50 AM

when i trapped back east i had a frog and a muskrat in a 330 one morning same trap and a rat not a muskrat in a floating muskrat set another morning and black ducks in my 220 otter set on an old beaver dam a few times they would swim the creek and the only way to get trough the dam was the hole of death we called it