Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-11-2019, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse_hunter View Post
I don't have to show any respect .
Grouse remember when you said this. Your just another day disrespectful!
Old 11-11-2019, 04:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
Ironic how you can be racist and ageist while the rest of us are defending our veterans.
Andrew.. I 100% believe he is a racist. His snide mocking remarks against Asians was a hair shocking TBH. Not sure why he is even here.
Old 11-11-2019, 04:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk eater View Post
Grouse remember when you said this. Your just another day disrespectful!
Quote:
I don't have to show any respect to either xenophobic hicks or their heroes.
I stand by what I said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
Andrew.. I 100% believe he is a racist. His snide mocking remarks against Asians was a hair shocking TBH. Not sure why he is even here.
I though that you're ignoring me. What remarks are you referring to?
Old 11-11-2019, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
Just got back from a Walmart run for tomorrow’s hunting trip. Didn’t see one immigrant wearing a poppy. Soooo shocking. It’s not hard to not trust the loyalties of the current wave of immigrants.
The wife and myself had to do a bunch of running around. We noticed the exact same thing
Old 11-11-2019, 05:05 PM
Banned

I bet that the Natives were having very similar conversations among themselves when the European settlers were arriving! How dare they not wear a specific article of clothing on a day that is our holiday?! Oh the humanity...

As some people have speculated, perhaps many of the newcomers do not understand the significance of a poppy, but who is to say that their Canadian born children wont?

As I said on the first page of this thread "Thang damn gimmiegrants ruined Canaduh!" Grab the pitchforks!
Old 11-11-2019, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Sportsnet fired Don, so I fired them, I cancelled my subscription, and e-mailed them, to tell them why.

Too funny. That was my exact instant response. Sat down and fired off an email using blunt terms lol. Might not be a big deal to them, but I’m not supporting a chicken**** outfit like that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-11-2019, 05:23 PM

Least he has the testicular fortitude to not back down and pretty much tell sportsnet to pound sand.

“I have just learned I’ve been fired by Sportsnet for comments made on ‘Coach’s Corner’ Nov. 9,” Cherry, 85, told Toronto Sun‘s Joe Warmington in a phone interview on Monday.

The hockey commentator clarified that his comments were not racial or bigoted, but patriotic: “I know what I said and I meant it. Everybody in Canada should wear a poppy to honour our fallen soldiers.”

“To keep my job, I cannot be turned into a tamed robot,” added Cherry. “I would have liked to continue doing ‘Coach’s Corner’. The problem is if I have to watch everything I say, it isn’t ‘Coach’s Corner’.”

Cherry said he is proud of his decades on-air as a legendary TV hockey commentator: “I want to thank everyone who has watched ‘Coach’s Corner’ over the last 35 years.”

He finished by reminding fans: “Remember to wear your poppy to honour our fallen soldiers… thumbs up.”
Old 11-11-2019, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbug View Post
Least he has the testicular fortitude to not back down and pretty much tell sportsnet to pound sand.

“I have just learned I’ve been fired by Sportsnet for comments made on ‘Coach’s Corner’ Nov. 9,” Cherry, 85, told Toronto Sun‘s Joe Warmington in a phone interview on Monday.

The hockey commentator clarified that his comments were not racial or bigoted, but patriotic: “I know what I said and I meant it. Everybody in Canada should wear a poppy to honour our fallen soldiers.”

“To keep my job, I cannot be turned into a tamed robot,” added Cherry. “I would have liked to continue doing ‘Coach’s Corner’. The problem is if I have to watch everything I say, it isn’t ‘Coach’s Corner’.”

Cherry said he is proud of his decades on-air as a legendary TV hockey commentator: “I want to thank everyone who has watched ‘Coach’s Corner’ over the last 35 years.”

He finished by reminding fans: “Remember to wear your poppy to honour our fallen soldiers… thumbs up.”
Don Cherry - He’s a Beauty!

I’m pretty sure we’ll still here from him somehow

BW
Old 11-11-2019, 05:42 PM

While I'm not upset that Don Cherry was finally forced into retirement, I do have a problem with the fact that the advertisers had more of a voice in pushing for it than his bosses or even he did.

The Toronto Star, who are claiming to have first to have known about the firing are saying that Labatt (via Budweiser) are the ones who got him fired.

Quote:
Labatt Breweries of Canada — which sponsors Coach’s Corner through Budweiser — had a say in Cherry’s ouster.

“The comments made Saturday on Coach’s Corner were clearly inappropriate and divisive, and in no way reflect Budweiser’s views,” Todd Allen, VP of Marketing, Labatt Breweries of Canada, said in an email.

“As a sponsor of the broadcast, we immediately expressed our concerns and respect the decision which was made by Sportsnet.
https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...oxic-rant.html

As much as alcoholic me doesn't want to, I'm debating stopping buying some of my favourite beer brands, Lucky, Keith's and Kokanee for this corporate SJW BS.

Quote:
Labatt's Edmonton, Alberta brewery which opened in 1964, brews Budweiser, Labatt Blue, Wildcat, Lucky, and following the completion of rigorous certification programs, Alexander Keith’s IPA, Keith’s Red, Keith’s Light and Kokanee.
Old 11-11-2019, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Do not turn this controversy into an attack on the Canadian veterans. I myself have stated that I show respect to veterans/currently serving military personnel as have numerous other first generation immigrants.

This thread is regarding xenophobic views expressed by a hockey commentator, as subtle of an expression as his sublime oratory skills allowed him to make.

His rhetoric does in fact resemble Archie Bunkers' drivel. About time to cast the antiquated clown aside.
To quote yourself as you are struggling to keep your story straight: “I don't have to show any respect to either xenophobic hicks or their heroes.”
Old 11-11-2019, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk eater View Post
Ahhh. Archie Bunker he’s another we should bring back. I loved that guy. Funny as all get out.
I watch reruns all of the time, one of my favourites.....
Old 11-11-2019, 06:01 PM

"TSN" Coaches Corner?

Welcome back Don....LOL
Old 11-11-2019, 06:02 PM

They don’t need a loose cannon like cherry around, if he is a detriment and gets fired it’s not like he didn’t know better. The immigrants are not personally connected to this poppy stuff like we are, if only through our parents. I don’t see why immigrants should have to knuckle under to the poppy nazis. Now Canadians are saying John a McDonald was no good well let’s just rip up the railway and pretend we didn’t need it to become the Canada we know. Why don’t the poppy nazis go after our home grown revisionists if they want to find ingrates
Old 11-11-2019, 06:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
To quote yourself as you are struggling to keep your story straight: “I don't have to show any respect to either xenophobic hicks or their heroes.”
What in the world are you talking about? He used a partial quote of mine in an effort to warp my words. I simply quoted the complete sentence.

I haven't changed my position from the very first post in this thread. Feel free to demonstrate the opposite.

Lots of people here have the proclivity for traducement. Jamies' accusations come to mind...
Old 11-11-2019, 06:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhits View Post
"TSN" Coaches Corner?

Welcome back Don....LOL
I would 100% watch that.

I would like to see everyone across this country shut down HNIC next Saturday. Just post a picture of a blank screen to Social Media on Saturday night.

Sportsnet can go to hell as far as I am concerned.
Anyone know how I can stream from another source?
Old 11-11-2019, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
I would 100% watch that.

I would like to see everyone across this country shut down HNIC next Saturday. Just post a picture of a blank screen to Social Media on Saturday night.

Sportsnet can go to hell as far as I am concerned.

Anyone know how I can stream from another source?

Reddit nhl streams. Any game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-11-2019, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutbug View Post
The wife and myself had to do a bunch of running around. We noticed the exact same thing
Turdo is responsible for the last waves of immigrants and why would you be patriotic if our useless snowflake of a PM does not look out for us in the west?

Lead by example is not in turdos vocabulary....
Old 11-11-2019, 06:17 PM

Can just start a YouTube Chanel , mainstream television programming is going to way of the dinosaurs there are a lot of good user created content on YouTube .
Old 11-11-2019, 06:29 PM

Grapes went out as a patriot, he has always stood up for the veterans and Canadian hockey, but he’s never been politically correct. I wonder if Sportsnet and CBC will reconsider the Huaweii advertising since they are so socially responsible.
Old 11-11-2019, 06:48 PM

Many countries fought in WW1 and WW2 and other wars since then. Wear a damn poppy to show respect for those that fight these wars, those that gave their lives in battle, those that came home with scars we cannot see.

FFS Show your respect for these men and women that made it possible to live the life you enjoy today and wear a poppy! One damn day a year show you care!

BW

Last edited by Bigwoodsman; 11-11-2019 at 07:09 PM.
Old 11-11-2019, 06:51 PM

It's the "Canada has no core identity" agenda that is sending DC to the penalty box. History and sacrifice mean nothing.....it's all too embarrassing or frightening to bring up
Old 11-11-2019, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lattery1 View Post
Good on him for saying what a lot of us think. By the way before the liberal trolls say anything I am married to an immigrant. She is wearing a poppy
Is it just GTA is not patriotic cause recent immigrants I know bubbling over with respect for Canada.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 11-11-2019, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhead View Post
I am pretty sure that Don Cherry wouldn't be any more of an embarrassment than our current Prime Minister of Canada.
The first point on this thread we agree about !!!!

Unfortunately this thread has run it's course and has become a very ugly commentary on immigrants.

Last edited by EZM; 11-11-2019 at 07:14 PM.
Old 11-11-2019, 07:06 PM

Don Cherry.

You are a true patriotic Canadian that was never afraid to call it the way it is. You will always be remembered for that.

The main problem in today's world is that you are surrendered by a wave of thin skinned individuals that will get hurt feelings for...nothing really. But let's do the social media thing...easy to do when no one sees you.

I will miss you on HNIC. Have watched you for decades. Good luck with whatever you do next. As Stomping Tom once said...True Canadian!

And lastly...Ron Mclean...after watching you when Grapes said what he said...and slamming him after the fact, you sir are a douche and hypocrite. Easy way out to save your flipping job!

I will now call you Greta Mclean... piece of you know what!!!
Old 11-11-2019, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
Many countries fought in WW1 and WW2 and other wars since then. Where a damn poppy to show respect for those that fight these wars, those that gave their lives in battle, those that came home with scars we cannot see.

FFS Show your respect for these men and women that made it possible to live the life you enjoy today and wear a poppy! One damn day a year show you care!

BW
1000% ^^^

Don't give a crap if you just arrived or been here all your life. That's totally irrelevant. Wear a damn poppy and show respect to those who gave or are willing to give their lives to protect ours. Period.
Old 11-11-2019, 07:11 PM

Default 2 Thoughts

Immigrants appear to have forgiven Black Face Sparkle Socks according to the election results. Can they not forgive Don Cherry?

Was Omar Khadr wearing a poppy today?
Old 11-11-2019, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
1000% ^^^

Don't give a crap if you just arrived or been here all your life. That's totally irrelevant. Wear a damn poppy and show respect to those who gave or are willing to give their lives to protect ours. Period.
Exactly they fought so you would be able to come here to better your life. Appreciate it, learn about it, in fact lead the way in thanking them and showing appreciation. If you don't want to, then you can be the next on the front line.
I think we should bring in mandatory military service time again even for people moving here. Will make people appreciate the military and be proud of it hopefully
Old 11-11-2019, 07:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
Put Don Cherry into a retirement home and throw away the key! What a blow hard idiot!
He should have been gone 20 years ago. I agree completely. And McLean is a close second. He tries to be cute and witty, but comes off as a total dolt. I'm hoping he gets the boot soon too.
Old 11-11-2019, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
1000% ^^^

I agree that all Canadian should wear a poppy to honor those who have served us and gave us our freedom.

Unfortunately, Don's comments were directed specifically toward immigrants.

I don't care how noble, patriotic or whatever you want to hide his words behind, what he said was directed, deliberate and deeply offensive to many people.

To hear people deflect this, like the way we watch our brother's in Lincoln's party, south of the border, deflect the same ridiculous comments their leader makes, so this thread mirrors the same motives in my mind.

Yeah society has become overly sensitive, but as easily as one snowflake is offended on one side of the fence, it appears the same level of sensitivity exists on the other side of the fence.
Old 11-11-2019, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
I agree that all Canadian should wear a poppy to honor those who have served us and gave us our freedom.

Unfortunately, Don's comments were directed specifically toward immigrants.

I don't care how noble, patriotic or whatever you want to hide his words behind, what he said was directed, deliberate and deeply offensive to many people.

To hear people deflect this, like the way we watch our brother's in Lincoln's party, south of the border, deflect the same ridiculous comments their leader makes, so this thread mirrors the same motives in my mind.

Yeah society has become overly sensitive, but as easily as one snowflake is offended on one side of the fence, it appears the same level of sensitivity exists on the other side of the fence.
The immigrants that Don was referring to have ancestors that have fought in wars. Where the poppy to show respect to those people too! We cannot forget these battles or they’ll be repeated.

BW