Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-18-2019, 11:08 AM

i just watched an interview with the premiere of *****bec where he calls kenney a liar for saying that alberta gives que money . he goes on to say that the money they get is from a federal program ( kind of like the guy who doesnt understand that flipping a light switch is not what powers the bulb , it only lets electricity flow to the light bulb from an OUTSIDE SOURCE )
he then went as far to say that if not for the help from que , alberta would never of been able to develop the oil and gas industry to what it is today .

google ; Time for Kenney to “start explaining things with truth”: Blanchet , on global .

i know that separating seems like a pipe dream . but when the people that control our government ( with the seat imbalance )believe this crap , we are doomed either way . we are living in a very frustrating time .
Old 11-18-2019, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Had another thought-

It could possibly happen, but would take something like a 1000% tax hike.

If you want to keep your paid-for house in the Country of Balsaskman, you would have to borrow several times the value of it, to pay to for the so-easy mentioned items above.

Then if you have a job, instead of 40% taxes lets thnk 240%, where you have to get a loan from the bank at 50% per annum interest.

All these simple things have to be paid for somehow.
Ken

Think this through logically. At the current tax rates, and with all the services we have paid for, Alberta contributes a net of 20 BILLION a year more than it gets back from the feds. We already pay the full cost of Health Care from Provincial taxes or transfer payments, so too for the RCMP, CPP, EI, and this is true of any other Fed services in Alberta. The ONLY thing we do not pay for directly via transfer payments, or Fed expenditures accounted for to Alberta, is the Military.

With the 20 Billion a year we currently leave on the table we can easily cover the higher administration costs of running the various programs ourselves. Would separation be simple or easy, no, but it is Legally possible and economically Alberta would be no worse off.
Old 11-18-2019, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Ken

Think this through logically. At the current tax rates, and with all the services we have paid for, Alberta contributes a net of 20 BILLION a year more than it gets back from the feds. We already pay the full cost of Health Care from Provincial taxes or transfer payments, so too for the RCMP, CPP, EI, and this is true of any other Fed services in Alberta. The ONLY thing we do not pay for directly via transfer payments, or Fed expenditures accounted for to Alberta, is the Military.

With the 20 Billion a year we currently leave on the table we can easily cover the higher administration costs of running the various programs ourselves. Would separation be simple or easy, no, but it is Legally possible and economically Alberta would be no worse off.
Hi Dean.

If I am rambling and not making sense it is because I can barely see straight. If I was feeling better I would have driven myself to the hospital. Maybe tomorrow.

Nothing I wrote made sense?

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 11-18-2019, 01:16 PM
Banned

Arrow

Would Albertans really be better off with a new provincial pension plan, replacing the Canada Pension Plan?

It’s a critical question the Kenney government will grapple with in the coming months, but an internal report by the Alberta Investment Management Corp. (AIMCo) tackles the issue and indicates a case can be made.

By withdrawing from CPP, Albertans would see “a substantial benefit” as their costs to contribute to a provincial plan would drop, states the report, obtained by Postmedia.

The 19-page analysis was completed in September and calculates a sustainable pension contribution rate would fall to 7.21 per cent (and possibly lower) from current CPP base plan levels of 9.9 per cent, if an Alberta plan was established.

https://calgaryherald.com/opinion/co...s-report-shows
Old 11-18-2019, 03:15 PM
Banned

Arrow

Wexit party to run federal and provincial candidates across Western Canada

Presence in B.C., Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba necessary for separation referendums, leader says...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...gary-1.5362624
Old 11-18-2019, 03:28 PM

The picture tells me that "wexit" is an anti Trudeau movement not an anti Canada movement. It will likely die on the vine when Trudeau is out. I doubt that most Wexit supporters really want out of Canada ,they want rid of The Trudeau brand of politics. There are better ways to do that than making Western Canada a pariah state for decades to come.
Old 11-18-2019, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Ken

Having all admin jobs in Alberta versus Ottawa has to help with our economy and employment numbers.

Also BC will have a harder time shipping goods through Alberta. It works both ways for sure but a split Canada is not good for GDP.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 11-18-2019, 04:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
Wexit party to run federal and provincial candidates across Western Canada

Presence in B.C., Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba necessary for separation referendums, leader says...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...gary-1.5362624
It gladdens me that the proponents of this separation movement have chosen a constructive, pragmatic approach.

However you feel about the issues please recognize that adolescent edge lord tantrums are not going to win you any friends.
Old 11-18-2019, 08:29 PM

- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 11-18-2019, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleboy View Post
The picture tells me that "wexit" is an anti Trudeau movement not an anti Canada movement. It will likely die on the vine when Trudeau is out. I doubt that most Wexit supporters really want out of Canada ,they want rid of The Trudeau brand of politics. There are better ways to do that than making Western Canada a pariah state for decades to come.
So why have we been a pariah for decades past?
Old 11-19-2019, 11:41 AM

Wexit debate tonight @ 6-8pm, Edmonton Hilton (by Mayfield)

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/edmonton...ts-82011288973
Old 12-02-2019, 04:53 PM
Banned

Arrow

In the early 2000s, foreign capital investment poured into Alberta. ConocoPhillips, Marathon, Apache and Chevron all made major new investments. But it wasn’t just American energy companies. New investors included Shell, BP and Centrica from the U.K.; Total from France; Statoil (now Equinor) from Norway and a host of smaller companies from South Korea, China and Japan.

Today, they are almost all gone. Since 2015, there has been a $50-billion exodus of foreign capital. Add the equity sell-off of Canadian oil and gas companies, and the loss soars past $100 billion. As noted, this collapse has been driven by policy, not oil prices. Where Alberta used to rank near the top in terms of energy sector competitiveness, we now rank 16th in a recent survey of 20 North American states and provinces. The problem: regulatory uncertainty, lack of pipeline access and taxes.

This explains why even Canadian energy companies are bailing out of Canada. TransCanada Pipeline has purged “Canada” from its new name, TC Energy, and is re-allocating its investments to Texas and Mexico. Encana, which began as Alberta Energy Corp. and grew to the highest-valued Canadian-owned energy company in the world, has changed its name to Ovintiv and slinked away to Denver.

The bottom line is clear: The political strategies of my generation of Albertans have not worked to improve Alberta’s position within Confederation. It would be a disservice to our children’s generation to say otherwise. Today, we are even more vulnerable to the Liberals’ tried and true strategy of pillaging Alberta’s economy to buy votes in Quebec and Ontario.

https://calgaryherald.com/opinion/co...istoric-rights
Old 12-02-2019, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
Would Albertans really be better off with a new provincial pension plan, replacing the Canada Pension Plan?

It’s a critical question the Kenney government will grapple with in the coming months, but an internal report by the Alberta Investment Management Corp. (AIMCo) tackles the issue and indicates a case can be made.

By withdrawing from CPP, Albertans would see “a substantial benefit” as their costs to contribute to a provincial plan would drop, states the report, obtained by Postmedia.

The 19-page analysis was completed in September and calculates a sustainable pension contribution rate would fall to 7.21 per cent (and possibly lower) from current CPP base plan levels of 9.9 per cent, if an Alberta plan was established.

https://calgaryherald.com/opinion/co...s-report-shows
there are a lot of problems with the current CPP, one being our contributions do form part of our estate> Meaning if you die prematurely your family will not get full benefits.

Another is the maximum CPP benefit is based on your best 40 years of contributions>meaning if you have worked and paid into the CPP for 45 or 50 years...you only get to collect for 40 years. The extra payments are just absorbed?

Far better would be all employer and employee contributions be invested in personal RRSPs. It would then belong to you or your beneficiaries...not the govt as it does now.
Old 12-02-2019, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhorse Ranch View Post
That is why the federal Conservatives will fight separation tooth and nail. They rely on the 34 safe seats here in AB, without which they have no prayer of ever forming government.

Separation will be an uphill battle, but a worthy goal.
Conservatives held power and how did things improve? People have to realize at some point that it's not just the so called laurentian elite that has allowed
our political structure to decline into the state is is today.

IMHO it's past time for a political shakeup, where politicians no longer get to feed at the public trough. No more golden pensions, no more high flyer salaries, it's about time WE THE PEOPLE took back control of our governance.
Old 12-02-2019, 08:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
it's about time WE THE PEOPLE took back control of our governance.
I’m all in with you on this one! Now, how do you propose we do that? I know of two ways: run for office or ... naaah, nobody around here would go for the second option.

Curious about your ideas though.
Old 12-02-2019, 10:45 PM

Quote:
there are a lot of problems with the current CPP, one being our contributions do form part of our estate> Meaning if you die prematurely your family will not get full benefits.
According to Black's, the definition of estate is a degree or amount of ownership in property. Doesn't necessarily mean anything about dead or alive.

Quote:
IMHO it's past time for a political shakeup, where politicians no longer get to feed at the public trough. No more golden pensions, no more high flyer salaries, it's about time WE THE PEOPLE took back control of our governance.
When did WE THE PEOPLE have control of governance?? I've never seen that. What I have seen from the start of english colonies in north america (and I'm assuming french as well, but I can't read French) is all government officials swear an oath to a foreign king or queen. Courts have ruled that elected officials owe no duty of allegiance to the electorate. So, my current working theory is that the electorate elects politicians to represent the governing interests to the electorate, and not the other way around. We just get to choose who they talk to us through as they won't do it directly.

Based on my recent studies of Letters Patent and their effects, transfers, etc, I'd be inclined to think that Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second actually owns Canada, and we get to use it in a medieval fiefment system. It would seem possible that the people of canada cannot own property in Canada with the only exception being ownership of their given name(s).
Old 12-03-2019, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RO CC View Post
I’m all in with you on this one! Now, how do you propose we do that? I know of two ways: run for office or ... naaah, nobody around here would go for the second option.

Curious about your ideas though.
Running for office doesn't do much good with the current political party system. Unless you are willing to submit to some parties control you don't have much chance of getting elected.

To start we would need to separate from the political control of the eastern provinces [Que, Ont] and then rebuild a different democratic system without political parties. A good start would be to only have two levels of government, provincial and municipal. With the technology we have today there should be a way to have more input from the electorate, strong recall legislation, and limits on politicians salaries and benefits for a starter.

The Wexit movement is going to prove an interesting thing to follow.
Old 12-17-2019, 03:55 PM

Wexit Referendum Protest January 11, 2020 @ 11:00 am Alberta legislature.

https://images-ext-2.discordapp.net/...ges/img_17.png

Quote:
Running for office doesn't do much good with the current political party system. Unless you are willing to submit to some parties control you don't have much chance of getting elected.

To start we would need to separate from the political control of the eastern provinces [Que, Ont] and then rebuild a different democratic system without political parties. A good start would be to only have two levels of government, provincial and municipal. With the technology we have today there should be a way to have more input from the electorate, strong recall legislation, and limits on politicians salaries and benefits for a starter.

Old 12-17-2019, 08:14 PM
Banned

Quote:

I’d love to see Alberta revolutionize the western (world) political structure!

The government though, one, two or three levels, would still have to be elected. And unless wee see accountability of the elected officials, I’m afraid not much will change.

My two pennies, as always.