Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-12-2020, 04:29 AM

Default Tire question

I’m getting mixed answers on this; winter and summer tires, is it bad for the tire to remount it seasonally on the same rim or should I be mounting on winter rims and leaving summer on its original rims? If it makes a difference I have 21” run flats
Old 10-12-2020, 05:09 AM

21" run flats? I am going to assume then that they are a low profile tire. If so I would recommend that you get separate winter rims and tires. Low profile tires are subject to much higher stresses when mounting and have a much higher probability of sustaining some sort of bead damage making the tire inoperable. Mount them once and carry on, don't risk having them changed over several times.
Old 10-12-2020, 05:49 AM

Don't know anything about run flats, but for regular tires you'll have paid enough to buy winter rims pretty quick if you are taking them to a tire shop to get switched back and forth.
Old 10-12-2020, 07:04 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalerman View Post
21" run flats? I am going to assume then that they are a low profile tire. If so I would recommend that you get separate winter rims and tires. Low profile tires are subject to much higher stresses when mounting and have a much higher probability of sustaining some sort of bead damage making the tire inoperable. Mount them once and carry on, don't risk having them changed over several times.
Run flats are tires that can support the weight of the vehicle with no air pressure for approx 100 clicks at reasonable speed just to get you to a area to safely change the tire or to a service station etc....if I was running winter tires and summer tires my winter ones would be on seperate rims...easy self switch out under an hour......

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-12-2020, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mryimmers View Post
Don't know anything about run flats, but for regular tires you'll have paid enough to buy winter rims pretty quick if you are taking them to a tire shop to get switched back and forth.
This! I go through this every year with work. I pay 50-60$ twice a year to swap winter tires out to summer tires and summers to winters. At 120$ year in 2-3 years I could have paid for some cheap steel rims and avoided waiting a couple hours each year at the tire shop for them to do the swap. Work doesn’t care so I have stopped trying to fight that battle. Personally though, yes I have a second set of rims for my wife’s Jeep and my plow truck. I haven’t run winters on my new truck as I don’t drive it hardly at all in the winter since I use the plow truck to go into town etc...
Old 10-12-2020, 11:11 AM
AO Sponsor

The answer to your specific question is 100% no... Changing tires on rims should not ever be an issue if being done properly with the right equipment for the job my an operator who knows that they are doing and pays attention.

That said, done by the newbie with no experience on sub-par machines that are not capable of handling low-profile tires, especially run-flats, then the possibility of experiencing damage to both the tire and/or rims is very real, however that should not be the customer that bears the responsibility of repairing/replacing items from any damage sustained. A reputable shop should know what they are capable of doing properly and if they are willing to take on the work and then cause the damage, they should step up and fix it.

Sadly many won’t...
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 10-12-2020, 09:38 PM

Default Tire

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
The answer to your specific question is 100% no... Changing tires on rims should not ever be an issue if being done properly with the right equipment for the job my an operator who knows that they are doing and pays attention.

That said, done by the newbie with no experience on sub-par machines that are not capable of handling low-profile tires, especially run-flats, then the possibility of experiencing damage to both the tire and/or rims is very real, however that should not be the customer that bears the responsibility of repairing/replacing items from any damage sustained. A reputable shop should know what they are capable of doing properly and if they are willing to take on the work and then cause the damage, they should step up and fix it.

Sadly many won’t...
Thank you Bob. Appreciate the reply. Perhaps I’ll stop in your shop to get it done.

Devin
Old 10-13-2020, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
I go through this every year with work. I pay 50-60$ twice a year to swap winter tires out to summer tires and summers to winters.
You're getting a GREAT deal, especially if that includes balancing.

For ease and the many other advantages I run separate summers & winters, just about everyone I know does these days with the cost and time of doing the swap over. There are some REALLY expensive tire joints out there.

Takes me 15 minutes in the driveway to swap out a set of 35's and that's with wheel spacers (twice as many lug nuts)
Old 10-13-2020, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo11 View Post
Thank you Bob. Appreciate the reply. Perhaps I’ll stop in your shop to get it done.

Devin
You would be remiss if you didn't......
Good luck,
GB

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 10-13-2020, 02:08 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo11 View Post

Devin
If you do, and we have zero issue doing the job you are asking about, just remember we work by appointment only so we do tend to get booked up well in advance so the sooner we can schedule you a spot, the better. Our appointments are legitimate too and are not simply suggestions lol! We will have you in and out in 30 to 60 minutes 99% of the time short of some unavoidable issue like a machine breakdown or power failure etc.

Message me here or even better feel free to email me at bob@urbanexp.ca and I can help!
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 10-13-2020, 02:18 PM

Question Two or Four ??

Just to add another question to the discussion without starting a new thread.

I am currently running Bridgestone Dueler H/T's on my Tacoma, as they came with the truck when I bought it. They have approximately 45k on them. I want to take a trip to the interior, and possibly to Canmore, but would need to put snow tires on the truck.

An auto technician said I would have to put snow's all around, instead of just putting snow's on the rear drive tires. Any truth to this statement, or is he trying to get me to buy 4 new tires ?

Mr Conservation
Old 10-13-2020, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Conservation View Post

I am currently running Bridgestone Dueler H/T's on my Tacoma, as they came with the truck when I bought it. They have approximately 45k on them. I want to take a trip to the interior, and possibly to Canmore, but would need to put snow tires on the truck.

An auto technician said I would have to put snow's all around, instead of just putting snow's on the rear drive tires. Any truth to this statement, or is he trying to get me to buy 4 new tires ?

Mr Conservation
Your province should have their regulations on the govt net, correct?

search their first as it should be and will be the law not what anybody interprets

also call the folks who enforce the law to see if they can read

not kidding
Old 10-13-2020, 02:33 PM

Most, if not all, tire shops and the tire industry notes to have the same tires on all axles. I guess the logic is that if you only have winters on the back, you’ve got crap steering and braking control on snow & ice. Transversely, if you only have winters on the front they worry about the rear not braking well and the vehicle spinning on you during braking. When I was young I ran winters just on the front of a fwd VW Scirocco and did OK, though there were times when steering input during braking was necessary to keep the back of the car where it belonged.
When you can play around with that condition it’s fun, but certainly less safe than winters at all corners

About 6 weeks or so back I bought 7 winter snowflake rated General Grabber AT/X tires from TireBob; they’re not dedicated winters and I know they won’t be as good as pure winters, but they’ve got the rating that will keep me legal if I travel into BC. I up-sized on a dually so I also had to upsize my spare, hence the 7. The Grabber AT/X’s are studdable if desired though, but I didn’t opt for that

Last edited by CaberTosser; 10-13-2020 at 02:41 PM.
Old 10-13-2020, 03:15 PM
AO Sponsor

On any vehicle that is in 4x4 or all wheel drive, 4 of the same tires with close treadwear is ideal. Every vehicle has variances to the AWD systems and some are more tolerant to variance than others. The issues you have are that many modern systems transfer power from corner to corner to optimize handling and safety. It does this base on slippage and speed sensors. If you mismatch the tires and the circumferences are not the same (within vehicle manufacturer tolerances) they systems essentially are always fighting itself which can cause premature wear to components and your all wheel drive system is not functioning properly.

On a vehicle that is primarily a 2 wheel drive and has to be locked into 4 wheel drive, it won't ever really cause an issue that way if left in 2wd, but when locked in 4wd they then again issues in circumferences come into play and can bind the system up that way.

Most shops won't do it nowadays because as lame as it sounds, nobody wants to take on the liabilities. You can tell a client until you are blue in the face that his Audi is going to have issues if he mismatches and they insist they are fine and that if anything happens they will take responsibility, but when they find out that they did have problems and they are looking down the barrel of a $9000.00 repair bill they quickly hold out their hand and demand compensation. It just isn't worth it anymore.

But, no..,. There is no law that says tires cannot be mismatched. It is all on you. But because you can sue anybody, it also falls on the shop and most of us do not want the responsibility.

Morel of the story is too many people suck and wreck it for everyone who doesn't.
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Old 10-13-2020, 03:56 PM

Check kijiji and buy a set of rims to use as winter ones.
Old 10-13-2020, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Conservation View Post

Mr Conservation

Check the actual law as suggested above. Pretty sure the definition of winter tires is snowflake rated or tires designated with M+S symbol which is pretty much most truck tires.
Link covers what's required and mentioned only the drive axle needING the tires

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/t...t-winter-tires
Old 10-13-2020, 11:49 PM

tire bob has some great advice here . Recently swapping a lower profile tire on sub par equipment I could see a bead stretch happening if we didn't have experience with tire machines . I personally prefer extra rims , makes thing easy and on my Sched . Snow coming this week they say
Old 10-14-2020, 07:37 AM

You can buy four rims for the price of one to two years worth of switching the tires over spring and fall so I really so no benefit to swapping the tires on and off the same rims. On top of that the pretty Aluminum rims last a lot longer if they aren't run in the salt.
Old 10-14-2020, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
You can buy four rims for the price of one to two years worth of switching the tires over spring and fall so I really so no benefit to swapping the tires on and off the same rims. On top of that the pretty Aluminum rims last a lot longer if they aren't run in the salt.
Exactly, even paying for more tire pressure sensors, you will recover the cost of mounting and balancing twice per year, in two or three years. And you can quickly install mounted tires/wheels yourself if the tire shop is swamped due to a dump of snow in the fall.
Old 10-14-2020, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalerman View Post
21" run flats? I am going to assume then that they are a low profile tire. If so i would recommend that you get separate winter rims and tires. Low profile tires are subject to much higher stresses when mounting and have a much higher probability of sustaining some sort of bead damage making the tire inoperable. Mount them once and carry on, don't risk having them changed over several times.
👍🏻👍🏻