Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 02-17-2016, 06:13 PM

I am lucky to get 6 per year! Any more and I would wipe them out for a while!

Marten 2
Lynx. 2
Weasel 3
Wolf. 3
otter 5
fisher 2
beaver 3
fox 1
Mink 1
Coyote 1
Squirrel
Old 02-17-2016, 11:36 PM

Version 3 and maybe a winner.

J clips! They seem to hold the nail fairly solid, can be installed on a snare already assembled and are dirt cheap.

I even built one on out of 1/16 just for fun. It's not as good on the 1/19 because it will allow the snare to twist if you twist on the anchor loop as you might when installing the anchor cable. It's seems to clamp the 7x7 good enough to be worth building a bunch to try.

Nothing has been as good as the ferrule so far though. A larger size J clip might be better if there is such a thing?
Old 02-17-2016, 11:46 PM
Banned

J clips, I have lots of them and it's quick too! What angle are to hammering those nails in, TFNG? How far in do you nail them? I have the goodies to make some up and I'll give it a shot.
Old 02-17-2016, 11:55 PM

I'm still figuring it out but I nailed them fairly steep, maybe too steep. How steep it is will affect how easy your snare will fire just like coyote snares.

Tapped in until they were just solid, Less than an inch. Not sure. You want the nail to pull out on a catch. Wing it and let us know Dave. I haven't checked the ones I set so it could be a trainwreck for all I know.
Old 02-18-2016, 12:02 AM
Banned

Hey, it's your experiment, I'll wait for your report.

I still have a dozen pre made ones to get out, hopefully tomorrow. Three coyotes today caused me to change my plans but I'm not too disappointed about it.
Old 02-18-2016, 12:09 AM

Hopefully it goes better than my coyote foothold experiment! I've only got three poles out so we'll see.
Old 02-19-2016, 10:15 AM

since we are talking about chasing beaver....an old canadian tradition......

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=156513940049
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 02-19-2016, 10:21 AM

Thanks Redbullets!!! I'll be chuckling about that all day! I've never seen that commercial. I think Molson should bring that back exactly as is!
Old 02-19-2016, 11:32 AM

I have used a carrot on a 330 trigger to catch beaver under the ice. These work well late in the season when the feed pad turns sour. The only problem I found with using the carrots is muskrats. My go to is a teepee set in the run, caught 300 one winter using this method. Use a dead bent willow to find the entrance into the house, if the run is not packed hard.
Had an old trapper tell me that if you can't break the ice with a good sharp chisel in less than 6 stokes there is not enough beaver in the lodge to worry about.
I don't know if they teach the teepee set any more.

TEH

some day I'll shoot a deer bigger than my son's.
Old 02-19-2016, 11:38 AM

That's a heck of a pile of beaver to catch TEH! Did you like to set multiple traps in the entrance?

Good wood for making teepee's is harder to find in my area. I've found some I think but I need to go see the landowner. I've considered making trap stands.
Old 02-19-2016, 12:10 PM
Banned

I put a couple of feed poles into the slough yesterday. Not really knowing what I was doing and not sure where the runs were I just put them left and right of the feed pile where I found some deeper water. It was only deep enough to put one snare on either side of the pole. When I check in a few days I'm going to put 330's in two of the three main runs and maybe another feed pole. I suspect that I know which run is the garbage run and I'll avoid that one.

Next up is a dugout that I know is deep. I'm going to go out with my auger and put a rope with a weight down the hole in order to determine the depth and length of poles that I need. How far down the pole would you guys bother putting on the pole if it's 20' deep?

I suppose that I could research all of this stuff on my own but where's the fun in that?
Old 02-19-2016, 01:12 PM
Banned

Slap your snares about four inches from the bottom of the ice , In a clover leaf. Put a blaze on the pole you use for bait like eight inches long and three inches wide . When beaver cut feed from under the ice in their feed bed the feed is ALWAYS frozen in the ice at the top . Not like when they go on dry land and the feed is anchored at the bottom .I have a system that when caught they go down with the snare and don ,t freeze in the ice. But it,s a bit of a secret . and takes more time .LOL
Old 02-19-2016, 01:17 PM

I looked at the system of using drowner locks on the anchor cable Parfleche. Maybe after I've chipped out a few frozen in beaver it'll seem worth the extra hassle.
Old 02-19-2016, 01:29 PM

TFNG,

set two to as many as eight 330's at one lodge.
If the feed pad has a area between it and the lodge, would set 4 or more on the runs.
Had as many as 30 houses set at one time. Was doing problem wildlife full time.

some day I'll shoot a deer bigger than my son's.
Old 02-20-2016, 04:53 PM
Banned

Five 330's at the entrance of the lodge.....looks pretty productive! Also pulling caught beaver through slotted holes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nOLcYPR0rs
Old 02-20-2016, 08:18 PM

Picked this 62 pounder up in a snare today. He he was caught in two snares and was tangled on the bottom of the pole.

Enlarging the hole went fast and he was on the ice in no time. There was a muskrat in the teepee set in the entrance and the snares on the other pole had been pulled shut.

The other house I had a small beaver in the entrance. The snare pole was chewed off and two snares were pulled shut.
Old 02-20-2016, 08:38 PM

Nice to see someone having success with snares. Last check I had nothing but tangled snares. Tinkered with some sets and I can't wait to check tomorrow morning.
Old 02-20-2016, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFNG View Post
The snare pole was chewed off and two snares were pulled shut.
That's why I prefer a dry pole with green bait sticks attached to it. Also no extra work attaching a wire to each snare in case the beaver chews the pole apart.
Old 02-20-2016, 08:49 PM

Awesome work TFNG!!!
Old 02-20-2016, 09:03 PM
Banned

Congrats on your catch, TFNG! That is a big beaver! Going to check my two tomorrow. Hopefully I can dedicate some more time to trapping beaver and get multiple sets out.
Old 02-20-2016, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat View Post
That's why I prefer a dry pole with green bait sticks attached to it. Also no extra work attaching a wire to each snare in case the beaver chews the pole apart.
You make a good point tomcat! I should honestly try it your way as well to make an informed decision.

I set another house with one snare pole just before dark. I don't know how many beaver are in there but the ice is poor ten feet from the house. I'm going back for another look but I don't think I'll be able to get very close to the entrance.

Last edited by Tfng; 02-20-2016 at 09:14 PM.
Old 02-21-2016, 03:43 AM
Banned

Good going there TF ! It,s work but regardless of that it,s the catch that pays off!
Old 02-21-2016, 10:13 AM

Just did my check. Conibear was sprung no beaver, snare poll 3 snares are all twisted up no beaver. This is getting frustrating.
Old 02-21-2016, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbsask View Post
Just did my check. Conibear was sprung no beaver, snare poll 3 snares are all twisted up no beaver. This is getting frustrating.
So I looked back through the posts and you're using 3/64 with no lock on it is that right? Are the loops pulled quite small or knocked down more than anything?

Have you made the trigger on your conibear to be a narrower profile?

Both the muskrat and the small beaver yesterday were tail caught, do your conibears close tight- no gap?

Last edited by Tfng; 02-21-2016 at 11:21 AM.
Old 02-21-2016, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
Good going there TF ! It,s work but regardless of that it,s the catch that pays off!
Lots of work for not much pay. It was making it work that was the payoff for me.
Old 02-21-2016, 02:57 PM

Yes that's the wire I'm using, two were twisted up one was just pulled tight. The trigger on conibear are narrow, and yes they close tight
Old 02-21-2016, 03:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFNG View Post

Picked this 62 pounder up in a snare today. He he was caught in two snares and was tangled on the bottom of the pole.

Enlarging the hole went fast and he was on the ice in no time. There was a muskrat in the teepee set in the entrance and the snares on the other pole had been pulled shut.

The other house I had a small beaver in the entrance. The snare pole was chewed off and two snares were pulled shut.
Congrats on that big Beaver Tfng
Old 02-21-2016, 08:10 PM

Thanks for the added info rbsask. Keep after them it will happen eventually. Good luck!

I had a couple hours this afternoon so I returned to house number 3 and added two more snare poles. I checked the one I set last night and it's untouched.

On the other side of the line I drew in the snow I can put my spud through the ice in one shot.

I've started wearing my floater coat while I'm checking around the house at least until I've figured out some safe pathways. Some of these places are more than deep enough to drown.

The three snare pole locations. I think I missed the run on the location outside the feed bed. There was still five feet of water or so, I set a two snare pole here.

Old 02-21-2016, 10:12 PM

Nice thread, enjoying the posts. Question: What causes a beaver tail to be chewed up like in the one pic?

Thrashing around while caught?
Old 02-21-2016, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
Nice thread, enjoying the posts. Question: What causes a beaver tail to be chewed up like in the one pic?

Thrashing around while caught?
I can't honestly say. I think maybe fighting? It's an old wound and has healed.