Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-02-2011, 11:39 PM

Default First moose hunt ever.

Well guys, I got asked a few weeks ago to go out on a moose hunt with a friend of mine, this is my first year hunting and it would be his first year moose hunting. So of course I said yes! He has hunted for a few years but almost exclusively whitetail.
We headed out to his parents place (close to where we would be hunting) on friday night, and before first light saturday morning we headed out, spent the morning walking a few cut lines, doing some calling, sitting and waiting for a bit, listening for any sort of response or noise. We didn't hear anything, went to a few different areas and did that all morning and into the afternoon. We were having no luck so we decided to hang a few stands and try for some whitetail in the evening. We got out to the stands around 530 and there were 2 coyotes sitting out about 150 yards from us and they hung around for about an hour or so. At about 710 that evening 2 does walked out into the field but didn't come inside 100 yards so we didn't have a shot at them. Well we went home empty handed that night.
This morning we were out in the field already by 7am and started in a different area than saturday, walked and called much like yesterday until about 945 when we sat down for a bit on a cut line leading to a field with a big ridge in it. We were both getting pretty bummed out because we hadnt heard or seen anything (other than lots of tracks and a bit of droppings). I decided to walk up the ridge to just see what it looked like on the other side, I got to the top and saw two white tail does standing there and my heart started pounding, i could have had a shot at one....if i hadnt left my bow sitting down on the cutline! yes i know, rookie mistake, haha
so my friend and i decided to walk through the field and down another cutline and stopped and set up on a crossing between two cutlines. my buddy did a bit of calling and all of sudden he heard a grunt, very faint, but a definite grunt. so he asked whether he should call again (remember neither of us have ever hunted moose before) and i said to go for it. so he did, and the response was louder, he called a few more times until we could hear it crashing through the brush around the corner, my friend moved about 5 yards to my right so he could see around the corner better and he froze, so i knew there was a moose right there, all of a sudden it cam around the corner and started thrashing this bush about 8 yards from me facing right at me, i backed off a few steps and drew my bow hoping he would turn broadside, i had nothing between me and him but a small 3 inch wide tree, when i backed up he turned braodside to me, and i looked over at my friend and said "i have a shot", i decided not to take it, just because this was "his hunt", i wasnt really out there to take a moose and i knew it was something he had been really working hard for. the moose turn and started walked a bit away, at this time my friend had drawn his bow and was just waiting for a shot, he must have held it for at least 45 seconds (doesn't sound like a lot, but in that moment it seemed like forever) and im just praying he takes a shot, i look at him, he releases as the moose is quartering away, i heard the thwack and the moose took off into the bush. we let out a quiet cheer and quickly backed out of there, went back an hour later and had a bit of a hard time finding blood, eventually found some, and found him piled up not even 70 yards from where he shot him!
he wasn't a monster animal, but a beauty nonetheless.
so even tho i didn't take the animal, it was still super exciting and an adrenaline rush like nothing i've done before (and i've gone sky diving in australia, haha)
thanks for reading
Schian
(i will post pictures as soon as i can)
Old 10-02-2011, 11:43 PM

good read.. congrats
Old 10-03-2011, 08:17 AM

Having some problems posting pics. Anyone wanna give me a hand by any chance?
Old 10-03-2011, 09:13 AM

Good story and congrats.
Old 10-03-2011, 11:10 AM

Good Job fellas!!!
Old 10-03-2011, 12:47 PM

Pics added for Schian.

Congrats boys! Job well done on your first moose hunt.
Old 10-03-2011, 12:50 PM

Thanks a lot Rigby!
I'm the one of the left in the 2nd picture.
Old 10-03-2011, 12:50 PM

Thanks for sharing your story and pictures. Congrats to your buddy.
Old 10-03-2011, 12:54 PM

Congrats to you guys on your moose hunt.
Looks like it was a good time.
Thanks for sharing with us.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 10-03-2011, 04:34 PM

Congrats on a tasty moose....cool hunt.....Marco
Old 10-03-2011, 04:41 PM

Well Done!!
Old 10-03-2011, 04:44 PM

Im thinking someone is addicted now LOL. Great story, great pics, big congrats
Old 10-03-2011, 05:14 PM

good stuff guys. doesn't get any better than a bull coming into your call and closing the deal with an arrow.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:17 PM

nicely done.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel Shooter View Post
Im thinking someone is addicted now LOL. Great story, great pics, big congrats
Heck yea! Can't wait to hopefully get my own. Although I would be content with taking down anything this year, seeing as how I still have successfully harvested any animal.

Ps. Just had my first moose roast for supper, delicious!! The whole family loved it too.