Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-02-2011, 05:15 PM

Default Dog handlers wanting pheasant experiece for their dogs?

Got another calll today wondering if I supplied dogs for pheasant hunts on the preserve. Seems like many people would try a pheassant hunt but can't for a variety of reasons justify owning a hunting dog at this time in their hunting careers. Know we put together a WSS shoot threee years ago and a few dog handlers who were customers at the store brought dogs just so their dogs would get pheasant experience prior to the wild bird season opening.

Maybe it is an idea to create a thread to list guys by location who would like to get preseason pheasant experience or a refresher by handling their dogs for others on a paid shoot.

If there is any interest just supply your location as interested. I am sure there are preserves all over Alberta so it probably doesn't matter if you are not close enough to Langdon to participate here as perhaps a handler in Edmonton could hepl out a new hunter in their area just the same.
Could be the beginning of introducing a rookie to the fun and increased satisfaction of hunting over a dog.

Feed back?? Input?
Old 10-02-2011, 05:17 PM

I'd be in for sure. I do it already so a few more wouldn't hurt ha ha. I'm located in Raymond.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:31 PM

Sounds like a good idea, Rob. The day we spent out at your place was time well spent. What my young pup learned in that one concentrated day was great and the tune up for my older dog was good as well. I'm sure there are lots of guys that would like the chance to work their dogs for new shooters.

If I didn't live so far away I'd be using your place more often.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:46 PM

I have a 1 yr old weimaraner and would love to get him out more. He's got a good nose and is coming along nicely. We live in lethbridge.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:57 PM

Absolutely. My dog is fairly inexperienced though. He is however steady to shot, force fetched, whistle commands...
I would love to be considered.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:09 PM

I have a lab that has had lots of work but would love to get him out for a little more work. I live in Edmonton.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:04 AM

I am new to the dog end of it ,but have a dog that needs birds so this sounds like a great idea to me. I am in Ponoka,also willing to travel
Old 10-03-2011, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksteed17 View Post
I'd be in for sure. I do it already so a few more wouldn't hurt ha ha. I'm located in Raymond.
An you're an excellent teacher!
Old 10-03-2011, 10:50 AM

Default thanks

Hopefully local shooters will take note of the dog handlers willing to work their dogs on some released birds for your area.

I have made a list of the Calgary area dog handlers willing to help out so if a shooter is looking for a dog I will contact you to see if you are available on a couple days notice.
Rob