Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-18-2019, 12:11 PM

Default Keystone Pipeline ten times worse than first reported

Keystone Pipeline reported ten times worse than initially reported that's quite a bit of oil

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-18-2019, 12:40 PM

10 times more land affected than thought. not more oil.
Initial estimate was 1/2 an acre, oil contaminated 4.8 acres, so about 2-1/2 football fields.
Old 11-18-2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
Keystone Pipeline reported ten times worse than initially reported that's quite a bit of oil

The original oil estimate was 10 times more than what was actually on the ground
Old 11-18-2019, 12:49 PM

I love the way the media plays with words and sensationalises stuff. Ten times worse sounds like a lot bigger deal than 1/2 acre to 5. Also bet they didn't say there was ten times less oil released than first thought.
Old 11-18-2019, 12:50 PM

So 10 times more land affected doesn't mean ten times more oil ,never read an article just seen a highlight on the news.

Old 11-18-2019, 01:11 PM
Gone Hunting

Yup, the media knows very well that the majority of the people will read or hear their slanted"news" headline only, and then spread the "news" without bothering to check the facts
Old 11-18-2019, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
Yup, the media knows very well that the majority of the people will read or hear their slanted"news" headline only, and then spread the "news" without bothering to check the facts
That actually happens.....?
Old 11-18-2019, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
That actually happens.....?
It happened with OP.

What's even worse is that they reported in square feet to get the biggest number possible to include in the article.
Old 11-18-2019, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteout View Post
It happened with OP.

What's even worse is that they reported in square feet to get the biggest number possible to include in the article.
Oh I read the facts 383000 gallons just a little spill wait till that happens in the mountains.

Old 11-18-2019, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Oh I read the facts 383000 gallons just a little spill wait till that happens in the mountains.

Ya rail is so much safer...or maybe hot air balloons, Eco friendly and safe
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 11-18-2019, 08:23 PM

400 bbl tank = 63 m3 = 16,800 us gallons

383,000 gallons = 24, 400 bbl tanks which are the common oil storage tanks on leases.

When they pigged the lines on my place they changed out a piece with a tiny little scratch on the inside you could barely see...
Old 11-18-2019, 10:26 PM

Quote:

Surprised they didn’t use 1.5 million litres.
Old 11-18-2019, 10:59 PM

A little spill. pfft. 383,000 gallons divided by 42 gallons per barrel = 9119 barrels of oil.
Today we have the technology and equipment to detect and clean up spills on land. Such a spill like the Keystone leak shouldn't be such a concern.

All the oil spill fearmongers would have herniated if they lived during the "contaminations" that occurred 70 years ago during the late 40's oil boom SW of Edmonton. Like when the Atlantic No.3 well near Devon blew and seeped a million barrels of crude all over surrounding farms as far away as 3 miles away...the well spewed oil and gas for 6 months in 1948. And then burned black smoke for 2 months. Those lands were never really fully "reclaimed" or remediated and yet seed crops are grown on them now. And now families raise kids and livestock, plant crops and gardens and drink the well water on those lands.

If you want to read the whole story... https://resource.aer.ca/stories/blas...-atlantic-no-3

A spill the size of two football fields...pfft.

Why aren't the fear mongers at the places in Alberta where oil is naturally seeping out of the ground and stopping the earth from polluting itself?
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets

Last edited by Red Bullets; 11-18-2019 at 11:07 PM.
Old 11-18-2019, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
Ya rail is so much safer...or maybe hot air balloons, Eco friendly and safe
I have the solution to getting our oil to China and it's is not by all these expensive crazy pipelines and transportation modes. Alberta merely has to drill a hole clean through to China and put a meter on this end of the hole.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 11-19-2019, 06:05 AM

Quote:

That was the original estimate of what spilled. Airing on the side of caution. What actually spilled was 1/10 of that. That’s where you and the media are wrong but why bother with actual facts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-19-2019, 06:50 AM
Gone Hunting

Let me get this straight. Crude oil is called fossil fuel why?

Didn't it start out as fossils, plants and animals. Why then is it supposed to be so toxic?
Am I to believe that rotted down Dandelions and chicken carcasses have the potential to bring about the end of the world?

Wouldn't it make as much sense to try to eliminate all plants and animals from the earth to protect the environment as it does to try to eliminate all crude oil based products?

I have no difficulty believing that some additives in oil products are harmful, but I don't understand how rotted down lawn clippings and decaying cows could become such a great threat to this earth.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-19-2019, 08:37 PM

I’m glad someone knew the acres! It cracked me on the radio this morning hearing 19,000 square meters effected

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-20-2019, 09:21 AM

I get a kick out of every oil spill. They all sound like the end of the world just happened, the ground will never be the same.....

I wished all industries using "pipelines" were held to the same accountability. Sure they are transporting different chemical compounds. But product shouldn't matter when "safety" comes into play. When a water main breaks in a city, why isnt there a great panic for them to report the amount of product released? If we say oh thats harmless it dosent matter that it got all over my car or was 300mm (1foot) deep in the streets

Why are different industries held to different standards... some municipalities dumping raw or very minimally treated sewage into water courses because "it gets diluted so much you can't detect high quantities of it"

Guess thst was my wednesday morning rant
Old 11-20-2019, 12:24 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackburbot View Post
I get a kick out of every oil spill. They all sound like the end of the world just happened, the ground will never be the same.....

I wished all industries using "pipelines" were held to the same accountability. Sure they are transporting different chemical compounds. But product shouldn't matter when "safety" comes into play. When a water main breaks in a city, why isnt there a great panic for them to report the amount of product released? If we say oh thats harmless it dosent matter that it got all over my car or was 300mm (1foot) deep in the streets

Why are different industries held to different standards... some municipalities dumping raw or very minimally treated sewage into water courses because "it gets diluted so much you can't detect high quantities of it"

Guess thst was my wednesday morning rant
Exactly.

Give me a pallet of Oil Gator and I'll fix that oil spill so that there is no trace left a month from now, just like a water main break.

Danged fools. It's a natral product, nature can deal with it. If it weren't so Fort Mac would have been a wasteland When Alexander Mackenzie camped there in 1788.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-20-2019, 12:49 PM
Gone Hunting

All this fear mongering is nauseating.

Sad fact is people will vote to ban water is you present it the right way.

It's all nothing but chicken little nonsense. Greedy people praying on peoples lack of knowledge.

At one time all of North America was covered in jungle, the world didn't end.
Oil comes from nature, there are bacteria that literally eat oil. That's why Oil Gator works as well as it does.

One large forest fire in Alberta or Brush fire in Australia releases more carbon dioxide into the atmosphere then all the cars in North America do in a year.
Decaying vegetation releases even more, and it's world wide and year round, even in Northern Alberta in the winter.
It's what makes swamp water so foul smelling in winter.

When will people learn. The gas crisis of the 1980s, Y2K, Acid Rain, the list goes on and on of disasters we were warned about that never happened.

Ever notice that the dishonest car salesman get more aggressive when you don't buy his pitch, the honest ones back off and let you make a decision that's right for you.

There's a lesson in that for everyone.

Science reports can be faked, or bought. Real protestors can't afford to jet around the world protesting one thing after another.
And only Chicken Little thinks the sky is falling.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-20-2019, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk eater View Post
Surprised they didn’t use 1.5 million litres.
My surprise also, But it is American news

All the recent Canadian ones have been in litres and it makes it sound so much more than it actually is for effect of headlines. And this has only been since our Climate Emergency.

The last pipeline here was 40000 litres, which is 40m3 or 250 BBls. Which is a large amount but not as large as 40000 litres . Yes any Oil spill is a bad spill. Not a lot in the big picture