Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 11-17-2019, 10:55 AM

Default Thoughts on Hong Kong

I am curious peoples thoughts on what is going on in Hong Kong. I have been following it for months, and it’s only increasing in scope and violence. Students are beginning to take up actual arms — bows, but still — and last night a police officer was arrowed.

I think we are about to see the turning point as the Chinese are threatening to switch to live ammunition.

I am a bit worried about this for potential global escalation. I don’t think any country has the stones to stand up to China over this and the people of Hong Kong are essentially on their own.

I think they will keep pushing until there is a massive and violent crack down by the army. It is clear these people want their independence. Very large percent of the population is involved in it, read last night 90% of the population has been exposed to tear gas.

Thoughts on where it will go next and what it means internationally?

-Billy Currington (People are crazy)

Currently retired from hunting due to injury, but looking to get back on the wagon in 2020. Up in Yellowknife and missing my Alberta home big time.

This is the kind of thinking we are up against, vote Conservative this election!

Full Thread: https://imgur.com/a/y7RARBC
Old 11-17-2019, 11:10 AM

Mainland China is the Big Boy on the block. Anyone remember or care about Tibet these days ? Trade sanctions ? We've done that, hurt us just as much or more, when they retaliate. A prudent country and we aren't one, would realize, sometime down the road and it may not be that far, we could go to war with them, given their military build up and imperialistic attitude

Grizz
Old 11-17-2019, 11:43 AM

Default Appeasement and Revising history = win for China

Taiwan looks at this as a learning opportunity for the rest of the world. Meanwhile, China will continue to do whatever it wants in it's area of influence and revise the story as required. Unless the people manage a full on revolution, China will detain/reeducate/execute as many of their own people as required, and it will be forgotten in less than 2 decades.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg China teaching.jpg (28.0 KB, 177 views)
File Type: jpg China meanwhile.jpg (39.7 KB, 153 views)

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 11-17-2019, 12:39 PM

It won't be long before the PLA march in, and put an end to it all.

Latest update 👉 https://ca.reuters.com/article/topNews/idCAKBN1XR0O2

Selkirk
Old 11-17-2019, 12:59 PM

Maybe not as easy as it used to be, given instant communication around the world, but, Chinese "gov't" thinking towards the population hasn't changed much over history. They will do what they think needs doing at the time, without fear of consequences, ruling by fear and physical domination is normal there. 1000 or 1,000,000 or 10,000,000 lives over there don't matter to them. They don't want HK to get screwed up, as it is a cash cow for them, but, they'll step on it if necessary. Pretty tough for HK not to go this way with the two different political systems in play. How hard they will step on them, is in the air, but, it was preordained from Day 1, that it will happen there. Now I hear the protestors are tossing Molotovs, that will draw a hard reaction a lot sooner than later. They just have to calculate how hard they can hit without becoming pariahs to the other countries they want to influence, and if it will, or how much it will be a cause for more trouble in the rest of the country, because it won't be able to be hidden like in the past.
Old 11-17-2019, 01:00 PM

Avoid buying Chinese as much as possible. although hard, so much fishing gear is made there. If everyone tried (not likely) it would hurt china.
Old 11-17-2019, 01:28 PM

Default Implode..

You have to be there to experience it , don’t see it thru the media eyes . It’s very ugly right now think of it a mob mentality with some of the protester/opportunist taking advantage of their face mask. It’s has cause more damage the city and it economy since sars ... put in the Alberta perspective Greta is to Alberta As the protester to citizen of Hong-Kong.

Last edited by fishtank; 11-17-2019 at 01:35 PM.
Old 11-17-2019, 01:46 PM
Banned

Two words....Tienanmen Square.
The Chinese government does not lose these battles.
And according to most news sources, mainland Chinese for the most part are not in support of the protesters.
Personally I think the Chinese government has shown amazing (for them) restraint.
Not saying it's right...but what is, is.
Old 11-17-2019, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
Two words....Tienanmen Square.
The Chinese government does not lose these battles.
And according to most news sources, mainland Chinese for the most part are not in support of the protesters.
Personally I think the Chinese government has shown amazing (for them) restraint.
Not saying it's right...but what is, is.
Yup, won't be long now before the big man acts.
Old 11-17-2019, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkirk View Post
It won't be long before the PLA march in, and put an end to it all.

Latest update �� https://ca.reuters.com/article/topNews/idCAKBN1XR0O2

Selkirk
There will be more than a touch of irony to 'what's in a name' when The People's Liberation Army marches in and crushes the people protesting for their own liberation.....
Old 11-17-2019, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick0danger View Post
Avoid buying Chinese as much as possible. although hard, so much fishing gear is made there. If everyone tried (not likely) it would hurt china.
Just imagine if we went to war and stopped receiving Chinese imports. Kinda chilling to think about how many things we'd lose access to and how expensive the alternatives would be.
Old 11-17-2019, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
There will be more than a touch of irony to 'what's in a name' when The People's Liberation Army marches in and crushes the people protesting for their own liberation.....
their alternative is to remove their flags and turn around the tanks. Soldiers have family there, likely their biggest fear.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 11-17-2019, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssyd View Post
Just imagine if we went to war and stopped receiving Chinese imports. Kinda chilling to think about how many things we'd lose access to and how expensive the alternatives would be.
Just imagine if we were at war with anyone after having sold out our own manufacturing capacity to a nation not on our side; worse yet, possibly be the very nation we're at war with should they initiate hostilities with one of our allies?

We need to strengthen our own manufacturing base and reduce our trade deficit ASAP.
Old 11-17-2019, 03:08 PM

Cut them off of our so called need of product. Do not get involved with their on goings. Let them sort it out. Stop the media from showing their want and just pull the wool over our eyes like CBC does. We have our own problems. Where's Greta now? Maybe Canadians should do the same cause we are governed by what Quebec thinks and wants. What do you really care what happens a 1/2 a world away. We are in a country that can sustain itself but no we let our manufacturing companies leave and then complain. And you worry about what's going on in China and not here!!!!!
Old 11-17-2019, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post

Yup 👆 ... 'Tiananmen Square' 2.0

Selkirk
Old 11-17-2019, 04:09 PM

Arrow It's Too Late

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick0danger View Post

Sadly, it's long since way too late for that 👆

Twenty or thirty years ago that might have worked, but not now. We've passed the point of no return. Just look at all the stuff we use and own these days ... 80+% of it is now; 'Made In China'.

They've got us by the short hairs now, and they know it ❗

Selkirk
Old 11-17-2019, 04:54 PM

They've got us by the short hairs now, and they know it .

The tragic part is , we put them in that position.

Grizz
Old 11-17-2019, 07:32 PM

I feel like we live in such a primative time.

We are our own worst enemy.

Nearly 2020 and still all this global conflict...physical wars, trade wars, cyber wars, sanctions, racism, economic instability, climate change...the list doesn't end.

Sometimes it's hard to be optimistic for the survival of the human race. If you feed into the "news" you'd swear were doomed. Tomorrow.

*Puts bottle down and goes to lay on the couch*
Old 11-17-2019, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddeerguy2015 View Post
I feel like we live in such a primative time.

We are our own worst enemy.

Nearly 2020 and still all this global conflict...physical wars, trade wars, cyber wars, sanctions, racism, economic instability, climate change...the list doesn't end.

Sometimes it's hard to be optimistic for the survival of the human race. If you feed into the "news" you'd swear were doomed. Tomorrow.

*Puts bottle down and goes to lay on the couch*
We need aliens to show up. In all the sci-fi books and shows I've read or seen, it's the best thing that happens to the human race. Except the ones where they exterminate us for our natural resources. Then we're SOL.
Old 11-17-2019, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssyd View Post
We need aliens to show up. In all the sci-fi books and shows I've read or seen, it's the best thing that happens to the human race. Except the ones where they exterminate us for our natural resources. Then we're SOL.
Neil Tyson DeGrasse feels the same way. It would unite earth as a single "race".

Interesting concept.
Old 11-17-2019, 09:11 PM

I can not even imagine what store shelves would look like if all Chinese imports were cut off. Wouldn’t take long I don’t think, but who knows maybe Canadian tires supply chain is better then I think. Hope so.

The sentiment that Chinese Gov. will inevitably step it up and end things is sad but likely true. Let’s hope for a more reasonable solution. Maybe if enough cash is on the line via HK it will somehow end better then expected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-18-2019, 06:49 AM

I am truly shocked that the Chinese didn’t end this a long time ago, considering their hard reputation. Looks like their leaders broke out a box of Snickers and decided to soften up on this one, but for how long?
Old 11-18-2019, 08:03 AM

If the protestors had one strong, achievable goal in mind, the situation might be resolved. But I don't see any clear thing that the ruling party can address over general dissent gone wild! And when 'dissidents' start launching gasoline bombs from catapults (today's news), I can't see how the police can NOT start using live ammunition.
Old 11-18-2019, 09:32 AM

They got a concession way back for what they were originally asking for. Should have quit while they were ahead.
Now they have gone to far and when the Chinese govt does step in it will probably be steps backwards.
Old 11-18-2019, 09:57 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post

They've got us by the short hairs now, and they know it .

The tragic part is , we put them in that position.

Grizz
True 👆 ❗

They didn't take it from us. We willingly 'gave' it to them.

This just in from Hong Kong ... China Warns Again (article & vids) 👉 https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/...154416782.html

Selkirk
Old 11-24-2019, 11:10 AM

They are brave people. Admire them in a way. So strongly defend their rights ... it's worth respecting I guess.
Old 11-24-2019, 12:13 PM

In a worlds first, a Chinese Communist Party Spy speaking out. Very interesting.

https://youtu.be/zdR-I35Ladk
Old 11-24-2019, 12:46 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odjong View Post

They are brave people. Admire them in a way. So strongly defend their rights ... it's worth respecting I guess.

And it will be interesting to see how their election turns out ... https://ca.reuters.com/article/topNews/idCAKBN1XY007

We might even get to see the results, later today.

Selkirk
Old 11-24-2019, 05:22 PM

Exclamation

Hong Kong Anti-Communist Democrats have just won a clear majority ❗

Link 👉 https://ca.reuters.com/article/topNews/idCAKBN1XY0MZ

. . . now what ❓

Selkirk
Old 11-25-2019, 05:08 PM

they are drinking champagne in the streets

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....