Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-30-2011, 03:26 PM
Banned

Panicked exhausted cow moose?
She's gonna taste like crap.
I would have tried to help her the first day.

Might as well shoot her since she'll probably die anyway....after 3 days of struggling... that might be the only mercy.

If she is in some ones freezer now...get back to us and let us know what shame tastes like.

If you guys freed her and she trotted off ....great but that still doesn't excuse leaving her there to struggle for so long.
Old 10-03-2011, 02:57 AM

Default a very tough choice

I applaud your efforts to free the moose. I agree with most people that commented, thats not hunting, I would of also tried to free the moose. Kiiling it at this point doesnt make much sense. Give her a chance to get away.
I assume the leg broke when she tried rolling on her side. Any wild animal (including horses) usually dont survive. in most cases the moose would of died a painful and terrible death from numerous different things. The worst case scenario is the leg being broken badly and ends up flopping around or evenutally getting ripped off the body by a log or some more mud. I myself could not imagine the amount of pain that moose felt with a broken leg. On the other hand can one stand there and do nothing? I myself once i knew the leg was broken I would of put her out of her misery. Law or not, i'm not gonna leave an animal to suffer a slow and agonizing death cause a politican says i must. I would rather take the ticket than watch an animal slowly get eatten alive or worse. ( I have never been to NB so i dont know what predators are in that province). maybe i am the only one that would take that ticket. Either way, i dont want to see it suffer further. But then again, if there arent many large predators maybe she would have a decent chance? Either way you choose a tough call is made. Have to make the best choice for yourself, what can you live with?

Old 10-03-2011, 11:22 AM
Banned

Great story.....thanks for sharing.