Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-19-2012, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
If you tell them you have no restricted and you renew you will likely lose that designation on your license for that term of the PAL.....not sure what happens if you want to get it back?

LC
Not correct,i have the RPAL and have since the first courses came out years ago, I have never being asked for prove of range membership and have never lost my Restricted RPAL. I also dont own restricted,just like the option to

Ian
Old 01-19-2012, 04:59 PM

^^^^^

Glad to hear they don't pull it away from you...I wasn't sure.

When I renewed this year they wanted the range membership thats one thing for sure, hopefully it was just a mistake on their part and no one else has to deal with what I did this past time around.

They made it clear I was not getting the RPAL mailed to me until they had proof of my range membership, so I FAXED it to her while I had her one the phone.

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 01-19-2012 at 05:11 PM.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:
^^^^^

Glad to hear they don't pull it away from you...I wasn't sure.

When I renewed this year they wanted the range membership thats one thing for sure, hopefully it was just a mistake on their part and no one else has to deal with what I did this past time around.

They made it clear I was not getting the RPAL mailed to me until they had proof of my range membership, so I FAXED it to her while I had her one the phone.

LC
They sure seem to be all over the map and darn inconsistent on this one dont they ?
Old 01-19-2012, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottie View Post
They sure seem to be all over the map and darn inconsistent on this one dont they ?
Yup...I have a geeling in the system they have a star next to my name which states "mess with this guy everytime he needs something"

Last time I was getting my RPAL they drug their heels in getting it to me. I have the most unlucky birth date when it comes to this too (October 25th....1 week before rifle usually starts) So anyway mine was delayed and I asked the lady what to do when it expires and I don't have it and hunting season starts November 1st....she actually told me to go ahead and hunt and if I got stopped I would only pay a small fine....she basically told me to go out and break the law....hence my comment about being flagged in the system!

LC
Old 01-19-2012, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Yup...I have a geeling in the system they have a star next to my name which states "mess with this guy everytime he needs something"

Last time I was getting my RPAL they drug their heels in getting it to me. I have the most unlucky birth date when it comes to this too (October 25th....1 week before rifle usually starts) So anyway mine was delayed and I asked the lady what to do when it expires and I don't have it and hunting season starts November 1st....she actually told me to go ahead and hunt and if I got stopped I would only pay a small fine....she basically told me to go out and break the law....hence my comment about being flagged in the system!

LC
nothing like setting you up to get pooped on,they really do need to either make changes to policies,or at the least be consistant and thus fair with all they deal with. Its this confusion that gets honest folks in crap
Old 01-19-2012, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottie View Post
nothing like setting you up to get pooped on,they really do need to either make changes to policies,or at the least be consistant and thus fair with all they deal with. Its this confusion that gets honest folks in crap
That is the 100% truth.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:03 AM

Default I knew I would find it....

Hi Guys,

Here is the letter I received in respects to having a range membership before they would issue me my RPAL....

To the guys who doubted my experience on the matter....

Have a read.....basically they are saying I NEED to have a range membership....this is what I got from the letter, correct me if I am wrong.

LC

Last edited by Lefty-Canuck; 02-03-2012 at 09:19 AM.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:57 AM

LC you already own restricteds which results in their asking your purpose for ownership.

For first timers, who do not own any restricteds it is not required. However when they go and purchase their first restricted, they are asked to provide their range memberhip then.

There are no absolutes
Old 02-03-2012, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick284 View Post
LC you already own restricteds which results in their asking your purpose for ownership.

For first timers, who do not own any restricteds it is not required. However when they go and purchase their first restricted, they are asked to provide their range memberhip then.
I totally get that my point being no where in the forms or documentation do they upfront ask you for range membership info....until they don't receive it...

LC
Old 02-03-2012, 10:45 AM

Quote:
I totally get that my point being no where in the forms or documentation do they upfront ask you for range membership info....until they don't receive it...

LC

Of course they don't, the CFO's and the folks at the CFC simply make it up as they go.
Harrange your CPC MP when these issues crop up, if we just bumble along thinking all is the norm, nothing will change.

There are no absolutes
Old 02-03-2012, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flint guy View Post
Its my understanding that to own a restricted weapon you must have a constant valid range membership,....
That is not a legal requirement; it is something that CFO's do on their own. We should resist that "requirement" because it is not a requirement.

I am on the verge of buying another pistol just out of spite.

Quote:
The CFO has the right to question your purpose for owning this fire arm, you cant just have it because you like to have it.
Again, this is not law. It is CFO attitude.

Quote:
They can under their own discretion revoke the registration of that firearm forcing you to transfer or surrender it.
We have a lot of gun laws like that. If people only knew......