Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-01-2020, 08:44 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Default Rod Holders

O.k...gonna need two new rod holders....something durable and idiot proof cuz I fish and am hard on stuff...not a show and shine type guy so that being said need to have two rod holders for trolling but needs to be able to be mounted on the side of my tinner...so side mounting and not a million dollar cost too and good recommendations based on experience? Much appreciated for any suggestions and tight lines.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-01-2020, 09:19 AM

Eagle Claw Clamp on Aluminum Boat Rod Holder. Scotty Sidewinder w/Triggerlock Mount. The triggerlock is the one I had on mine. You have to bolt the mount to the side and the holder can be removed when need to. Simple
Old 09-01-2020, 11:47 AM

I hate fighting to quickly get my rod out of rod holders, so now I use 'Stealth quick-release' rod holders. The work well with fly & spincast rods.
Old 09-01-2020, 03:00 PM

you should get something can be moved from boat to kayak ect. Buy 2 rod holders and different bases to move them around to different watercrafts.

probably the most convenient and good for long term usage.

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 09-01-2020, 03:59 PM

Scotty quick release, nothing better or faster and won't harm your rod
Old 09-01-2020, 04:08 PM

Folbe holders
Old 09-01-2020, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuyFishin View Post
you should get something can be moved from boat to kayak ect. Buy 2 rod holders and different bases to move them around to different watercrafts.

probably the most convenient and good for long term usage.
got the yak covered as it came with one already.....sits dead centre not in the way and behind me are two rod storage holders...plenty for me...don't multitask too well things get all tangled up and then frustration throw in a few choice words.....need my 4 power glasses to re-tie.....so happy on the yak end....hope I didn't paint a future picture of yourself …. you know when your there and point at the only cloud in the sky and yell "dam cloud"....

regarding the tinner I just needed something durable and simple stupid....easy to remove too as the ones I got on now the mounting/support metal is flimsy but what can I expect for 14 bucks each....so on the quest.

Old 09-01-2020, 04:55 PM

Default Roll over image to zoom in Eagle Claw AABRH Clamp-On Aluminum Boat Rod Holder, Black Finish

images.jpg

good reviews so ordered two.....fingers' crossed like anything else.....

Old 09-01-2020, 06:00 PM

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/9021/...s-oarlock-base

If your boat has oar lock mounts these are really secure and easy to install. The bolt goes through the centre of it and you can use any scotty rod holders.

I have a couple of different clamp on style like that and needed some 1x4 spacers in it because they don't fit great over the gunwale.
Old 09-01-2020, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdb8808 View Post
https://www.cabelas.ca/product/9021/...s-oarlock-base

If your boat has oar lock mounts these are really secure and easy to install. The bolt goes through the centre of it and you can use any scotty rod holders.

I have a couple of different clamp on style like that and needed some 1x4 spacers in it because they don't fit great over the gunwale.
If the ones I ordered turn out to be crap I will go this route....little crestlimer has oar locks....thx.

Old 09-01-2020, 09:12 PM

Anyone ever use Railblaza rod holders or accessories for that system?
Old 09-01-2020, 09:33 PM

My boat came with what I thought were Scottys but instead they were " Fish On" (Tempress). They appear well made and they stand up to the wear and tear.
Old 09-02-2020, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMX View Post
Folbe holders
X2.

There's a quick learning curve to them, but once you're onto them, they're the best available IMHO.

Getting the rod out of the holder is effortless, you never have to worry about fumbling with it or having to do an odd motion that creates slack, just lift straight up.

They're rock solid too.
Old 09-02-2020, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penner View Post
Anyone ever use Railblaza rod holders or accessories for that system?
Yes. I am actually their sole Pro-staffer in Canada. I like their products and they are a bunch of great guys to deal with. PM me with any questions you have on their stuff.

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 09-02-2020, 02:51 PM

I bought the Scotty clamp on bases for use in a small tinner like these ... when I'm renting a camp boat somewhere and want to use my mounts for rods, the sonar, or whatever (these can do lots of things).

https://scotty.com/product/no-449-portable-clamp-mount/

Then I just grab the rod holders themselves from my bigger boat (which are bolted to a track) - rod holders like these ....

https://scotty.com/product/no-229-po...with-no-mount/

so if you already have scotty's - just buy a couple clamp on types and save a few bucks.

If it's your tinner and you don't mind permanently attaching them - then I'd bolt them on and be done with it. Ones like these ... (you can mount them in a number of ways like upright in the picture, or use the other hole and side mount them through the gunnel or just below).

https://scotty.com/product/no-230-po...idedeck-mount/

Last edited by EZM; 09-02-2020 at 03:07 PM.
Old 09-03-2020, 07:29 AM

Wink

Thx for all the replies like I mentioned in an earlier post went with clamp on type...good reviews...like the ability to move them around or put on another boat.....yup I said it....shopping for a brand new vessel....the journey begins...

Dam though 50K.....might have to come out of retirement...

Old 09-03-2020, 03:57 PM

With the clamp on you might want to bring a piece or two of 1x4 or 2x4 (depends on your gunnel width) only a couple inches long for your clamp to grind into. Does make a difference depending on your boat. Just a thought
Old 09-03-2020, 04:25 PM

I use nothing but Scotty personally. Lots of options available. I prefer the permanent mounts as opposed to clamp on. For conventional rods, I've used the Power Lock and Striker models with success. Both allow fast sets and easy use.
Old 09-03-2020, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbless View Post
With the clamp on you might want to bring a piece or two of 1x4 or 2x4 (depends on your gunnel width) only a couple inches long for your clamp to grind into. Does make a difference depending on your boat. Just a thought
ya when they come in next week I will fart around with them to get the best fit so that when trolling I don't pull a Homer Simpson....…...seen a few complete set up go over...not mine though....mot secure properly etc....dam that's a lot of cash overboard in a hurry....hard lessons learnt...even seen things fail too.

Old 09-03-2020, 04:50 PM

The other thing is ….. many boat brands now have a sliding track (like the one on my lund there in the picture) - not sure if your boat has that or not - but really love the flexibility of setting a rod in different positions depending on what you are doing.

In that picture I slid the rod holder forward toward the helm where I'm sitting with the seat sideways and steering and watching my rod and it's right there for me to grab when the down rigger trips and a fish takes the lure.

I cross the rod over the top of the boom of the downrigger to prevent a tangle with the line/cable and having the ability to move these around is a huge benefit.

So - on any boat I own - it has to have a track …… I'm spoiled now
Old 09-03-2020, 04:53 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
The other thing is ….. many boat brands now have a sliding track (like the one on my lund there in the picture) - not sure if your boat has that or not - but really love the flexibility of setting a rod in different positions depending on what you are doing.

In that picture I slid the rod holder forward toward the helm where I'm sitting with the seat sideways and steering and watching my rod and it's right there for me to grab when the down rigger trips and a fish takes the lure.

I cross the rod over the top of the boom of the downrigger to prevent a tangle with the line/cable and having the ability to move these around is a huge benefit.

So - on any boat I own - it has to have a track …… I'm spoiled now
yup that is one sweet set up you have there.

Old 09-14-2020, 12:16 AM

Default Cheap and reliable rodholders

Depending on the gunwhale on your boat , i used 4 inch pvc pipe , actually scrap that was thrown away . Am including a picture . Easy to make ,use a hole saw on your drill . Holders are great & can be positioned to where you want them !
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ROD HOLDER (2).jpg (21.6 KB, 42 views)
Old 09-16-2020, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
X2.

There's a quick learning curve to them, but once you're onto them, they're the best available IMHO.

Getting the rod out of the holder is effortless, you never have to worry about fumbling with it or having to do an odd motion that creates slack, just lift straight up.

They're rock solid too.
I agree with you 100% on this. I now land more fish. I could not find Folbe's locally so went with the Scotty Orca. Basically just a heavier duty version of the Folbe. The one comment I might say is that to pick your rod out pick up the far side of the rod handle first and its fish on. Had/have many other scotty holders but the Orca is the way to go.
One other comment about the Orca. My very large St croix with shimano tranx reel does not quite close in it. All my other big rods work fine though.
Old 09-16-2020, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube View Post
I agree with you 100% on this. I now land more fish. I could not find Folbe's locally so went with the Scotty Orca. Basically just a heavier duty version of the Folbe. The one comment I might say is that to pick your rod out pick up the far side of the rod handle first and its fish on. Had/have many other scotty holders but the Orca is the way to go.
One other comment about the Orca. My very large St croix with shimano tranx reel does not quite close in it. All my other big rods work fine though.
TFH used to carry them, but doesn't anymore. I couldn't find the Folbe's locally either, so I ended up biting the bullet and ordering them direct. Not cheap, but worth it IMHO.

I ordered 3 of the small size, three of the large size, a couple of long extensions, and all the bases to mount them to my rails. I use the small ones as just convenient holders for spinning rods when you want to set one down or just dead stick a bait or have a slip bobber out. The extension is really nice when you're fishing in the bow, you don't have to reach way over to grab them. The large ones do all my trolling. They fit the 600 size Tekota reels no problem.

I grab mine two handed, one in front of the reel, and one on the rod butt, and lift straight up. I slide the front hand back to the grip/reel seat to hold the rod, tuck it into my body if need be, and use the rear hand to crank.
Old 09-16-2020, 12:13 PM

Im currently using Scotty rod holders with the extension on my boat, I want to go with the Folbe or Folbe advantage jr. Can anyone tell me if the Folbe has the same “spline” or “cog” where the holder mounts to the extension where you can adjust angle? I have 4 Scotty bases mounted to my boat and would rather not change them.
Old 09-16-2020, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stump thumper View Post
Im currently using Scotty rod holders with the extension on my boat, I want to go with the Folbe or Folbe advantage jr. Can anyone tell me if the Folbe has the same “spline” or “cog” where the holder mounts to the extension where you can adjust angle? I have 4 Scotty bases mounted to my boat and would rather not change them.
Yes, the Folbes work with the Scotty bases, or at least mine do. I actually have a couple Scotty rail mount bases that I use with my Folbes.
Old 09-16-2020, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyedude View Post
Yes, the Folbes work with the Scotty bases, or at least mine do. I actually have a couple Scotty rail mount bases that I use with my Folbes.
Thanks!
I’ll use the Scotty base and Scotty extensions and I’m assuming the Folbe’s will screw to the extension without issues as well..??
Old 09-16-2020, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stump thumper View Post
Thanks!
I’ll use the Scotty base and Scotty extensions and I’m assuming the Folbe’s will screw to the extension without issues as well..??
I'm not sure about that. I'd check it out before buying.