Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-15-2020, 09:49 AM

Default Fernie / Kookanusa Area Fishing

So taking the family down this way for the weekend for some exploring and fishing. The two teenage boys and I were going to try the belly boats out on Baynes & Surveyors lake for some Bass. Any other suggestions for area? Only ever passed through the area, never stopped to check things out. The idea is to just try a few places and do some exploring, nothing too serious, and not specifically targeting any particular species. Just some fun fishing with the family (all though they all love to eat fish as well, so the odd feed is nice)

Note all of us are spin casting, no fly fishermen here...........

Thanks!
Old 09-15-2020, 10:04 AM

Tie lake about 15 min past Baynes and koocanusa has excellent bass fishing.

We fish the early summer at Tie lake before koocanusa fills up and rarely are diss appointed.
Old 09-15-2020, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy View Post
Tie lake about 15 min past Baynes and koocanusa has excellent bass fishing.

We fish the early summer at Tie lake before koocanusa fills up and rarely are diss appointed.
Thanks New Guy, just checked it out on the map. Certainly close enough so we'll give that one a go. I'll report back on how we did!
Old 09-15-2020, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawibunga View Post
Thanks New Guy, just checked it out on the map. Certainly close enough so we'll give that one a go. I'll report back on how we did!
I fished Surveyors lake several weeks ago and the water level was so low... Fishing was poorer than on average, but it was still possible to catch a few.
Old 09-15-2020, 02:18 PM

Good to know, was doing some google mapping and there are a couple small lakes with Brookies in them (Bronze Lake) just west of Tie lake, so think we might check out those as well........ should be fun
Old 09-15-2020, 02:41 PM

Default Bronze Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawibunga View Post
Good to know, was doing some google mapping and there are a couple small lakes with Brookies in them (Bronze Lake) just west of Tie lake, so think we might check out those as well........ should be fun
I fished Bronze several times in the past, great little brookie lake but the road in is brutal. I don't think some parts of should even be called a road. If I was headed out there I would look at Suzanne lake, just south of Jaffray. Good trout and bass fishing.
Old 09-15-2020, 11:58 PM

if you have time ..take the boys to the hatchery up the Bull River road. Well worth the time.
Old 09-16-2020, 12:20 AM

Silver springs lake is about a 1 hr hike and one of the most breathtaking lakes you will ever visit, 20 mins off the highway at Elko, has fish in it too as a bonus
Old 09-16-2020, 09:08 AM

All good info gents, thanks a bunch! May need more than just 2 1/2 days
Old 09-17-2020, 10:07 AM

There are some really nice rainbows in Baynes as well, just about every little lake in that area is stocked with something. Never made it out there this year seeing as we were not welcome. BC will see $0 from this guy.
Old 09-17-2020, 11:34 AM

Fernie is more than welcoming to Albertans during COVID, I have family there and nobody is slashing AB tires

Stop in at the local fly shops and talk to the guides, they may have some input on which lakes are fishing well, what to use, etc.
Old 09-17-2020, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dryflyguy View Post
Fernie is more than welcoming to Albertans during COVID, I have family there and nobody is slashing AB tires

Stop in at the local fly shops and talk to the guides, they may have some input on which lakes are fishing well, what to use, etc.
My experience has been the same with interior BC. Was recently on a trip to Kimberley and businesses / residents were quite welcoming of our group.
Old 09-17-2020, 03:08 PM

Alberta Plates, green Rider's ball cap......... what's not to love??!!

We'll hit up what we can in our short time and and report back. My two lads are fishing addicts. Could have worse vices I figure!
Old 09-21-2020, 12:16 PM

Update!

Short trip so didn't get much time on any body of water, plus the two sets of used waders I picked up on kijiji for my boys both had leaks (nice!) so did mostly shore fishing after the first outing

Tie Lake - thought it was really nice, would like to rent a cabin on the water for a couple days in the future. Boys had some bites but didn't land anything. with more time would have figured it out. Only fished about 2 hours around lunch time. Water looked down though.

Surveyors Lake - closed right now, could not access it in the park

Baynes Lake - very little access to fish, and found it a crap hole. Shore was what I refer to as Loon "feeces" Take a step and sink up to your knees and nasty black stuff, left and 10 minutes and won't be back

Suzanne Lake - was heading in from the east side (at about 6pm) then got to the spot where you turn west on what looked like road on the map. But was actually a pipeline right of way, much better suited to a side by side or ATV instead of my TitanXD. Could have made it I'm sure but was not going to chance it that close to dark. Would like to try again though from the other side

North Star Lake - nice little rec campsites. Got in late (after our Suzanne Adventure) so boys just cast off the dock, supposed to have brookies in there. Will try again if we get back

Kookanusa - got the lines wet down in Gold Bay, nice drop off, got one little rainbow, can't believe it even took the spinner as it was may be 8" long!

So for only a day and a half there fishing, we saw some places we'd try again for sure. And there's a few other's I'd like to try as well. So not that successful for a "fishing trip" but it was a great scouting and family trip.

Thanks for all the advice!
Old 09-25-2020, 03:55 PM

Stayed at a private campground in East Kootenay’s. Businesses are having tough times and they welcome out of province visitors. We had no issues with anyone in south east BC. They are more like Albertans being miners, loggers, and ranchers resource based economy. Fishing is always better early spring and fall.