Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-26-2020, 09:12 AM

Default Willmore Wilderness Park

Hi

I’m heading up to the Willmore area and I am wondering if there is anything I make sure to see or check out.

I am set up to camp from the pickup as well as head in deeper with my tent.

Thanks
Old 07-26-2020, 09:42 AM

It always rains in July. Pretty tough to see much from the truck, it's all about long distances there. Also depends on where you start from.

Grizz

Last edited by Grizzly Adams; 07-26-2020 at 09:48 AM.
Old 07-26-2020, 10:31 AM

Creeks are high right now. I sent you a PM
Old 07-26-2020, 10:42 AM

Good to know, makes sense. I live in the Bow Valley and the river is high. I was thinking about starting somewhere near the old entrance. No PM yet.
Old 07-26-2020, 05:55 PM

I just got out of the willmore friday night from the rock lake staging area. Ended up walking to the berland river for an overnight and then walked back out on friday. Pretty country but we got lots of rain.

It was my first time in so im not sure what the creeks/rivers are normally like but the only one that was a little sketchy was the Wildhay- roughly about lower thigh deep. We waded through it fine but its fairly fast flowing. Definitely need to be careful. I'm certainly no expert on the place but if you have questions feel free to PM.
Old 03-14-2021, 09:16 PM

Location: Half an hour west of Leduc, 10 minutes south of Genesee Power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairiekid View Post
Hi

I’m heading up to the Willmore area and I am wondering if there is anything I make sure to see or check out.

I am set up to camp from the pickup as well as head in deeper with my tent.

Thanks
One of my favourite routes is to park at the Mumm Creek crossing, go over Mumm pass, around Mt. Harvey, up and over Carson pass. That puts you back on Mountain Trail.

There’s a ranger cabin At Coal Cabin, where Indian Trail branches off. Behind the cabin is the start of the Wildhay Skyline trail. It climbs up to the ridge that runs between Mountain Trail and Pope Thoreau. You can follow this ridge all the way to the NW end, or come down at McKenzie’s camp, or you can cut NW and go down to the Pope Thoreau saddle.

Going up Eagle’s Next there is a good hike up Eagle’s Nest Creek above Cathedral Rock. It also looks possible go get up to the top of Persimmon ridge from the SE