Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 09-29-2015, 03:34 PM

Default Grizzly bears becoming a real pain in my butt!

We have a camp in the southern part of WMU 356 and after four days of hunting hard, we have harvested the only two black bears we have seen. Animal count so far: a single cow moose, three white tails and a four mule deer.

Problem is that we have seen seven separate grizzly bears, yes I said seven. We had two close enough where bear bangers sent a smaller boar the other way. We are hunting Bull Mose, Bull Elk and Whitetails, but we are seeing way more grizzly bears that ungulates of any type.

More than 700 KM on roads the truck, more than a hundred and fifty on OHV and hours of walking, still hunting and of course calling. Expected to be late for elk rut, but Moose should be on big time. Seeing lots of tracks, some pits and not hearing anything as far as calling. We have been going 14 hours a day and outside of some tags closed on a nice chocolate and a decent black nothing

Seeing tons of grouse, but all the pop can sized scat and Grizzly tracks everywhere my little lab is nervous as a June bride. Tracks from one end of zone to the other. We have hunted Kakwa, Musreau, Ratt Lake, Cutbank, Nose Mountain, some in 355 as well and bear sign out numbers everything but the grouse.

Any suggestions??? Calling is dodgy there are four of us and with the activity in all areas we are always hunting in close pairs.

Assistance of any kind is greatly appreciated, thanks to all!
Old 09-29-2015, 03:51 PM

I have hunted at a friends camp in that zone every year for the last 7 or so years except this year, I don't have a lot of good advice to give you on the moose or elk hunting, I know there are lots around. The elk have seemed to be particularly quiet for the last few years there as there have been lots of Grizzlies and wolves in the area. We haven't gone a season without seeing Grizz, and a few times were pretty close. My advice is more along the what to do with the bears, you may already know or do this but it doesn't hurt to say it again... We always hunt in pairs there as you said you do, keep your eyes and ears open, we have had the Grizz come into our elk calls looking for lunch. Even when you think there are no Grizz around they seem to show up sooner or later. We are always really cautious when gutting the animal, especially since a few years ago there were two hunters that were charged by a Grizz not far from our camp. If you are able to without spoiling the meat or have the means to do so I would bring your kill to an open area like a pipeline or something. That way if another hunter happens to come across the gut pile they should be able to see a bear feeding on it from a long ways away rather than run into it in some tight bush without warning. This also allows you and your buddies to have a good line of sight while gutting to make sure nothing is sneaking up on you, designate a couple guys for bear watch if you can. We also flag off any main trails say 50 to 100 yards from the gutpile just to warn anybody coming in the area. As I said we have ran into the Grizz every year, but have had no real problems just by being aware of our surroundings and taking the proper care with meat and gutpiles. Hope that helps a little anyway.
Old 09-29-2015, 04:18 PM

Thats good advice. I never thought about marking the gut pile for others but that makes perfect sense. Learn something new every day.
Old 09-29-2015, 04:31 PM
Banned

Please don't shoot any whitetails hahaha they're few and far between now!!

And ya, a pile of girzz... Good luck
Old 09-29-2015, 04:36 PM
Banned

Have you hunted 356 before? You have moose draws? Did you scout? 4 days isn't much time and I wouldn't expect to see much within 4 days. 356 is huge! And animals have been getting hammered the last 5 years. Winters have killed nearly all the whitetails and mule deer. Elk are few and far between in 356. Should be lots of moose but they can be hard to find cause the Indians that rape 356 the weeks before season
Old 09-30-2015, 09:56 AM

Don't be silly...there are no grizzly's in Alberta. I heard it from a friend of a friend
Old 09-30-2015, 10:43 AM

WMU 356 is typical of many zones in Alberta now. To many 365 day a year hunters Black bears, Grizz, Wolves, Cougar and Natives. There are not very many elk, moose and deer left for us Canadian 30 day season a year hunters.
Old 09-30-2015, 10:44 AM

I usually hunt the Northern section of 356, however the other day I went for a drive down Nose Mountain Road. I never left the truck (I don't take any chances on my own in Grizz country) but I didn't see a thing except for grouse and a large coyote (maybe a wolf however, I only saw it dart into the bush). Usually when I drive through a lease I see all sorts of moose, elk and deer tracks, old and new in the mud, but not there. Maybe saw a set or two at the most.

Last night while sitting where a few game trails meet at a pond (northern border of 356) I heard a pack of wolves start howling at sundown.
Old 09-30-2015, 01:39 PM

Thumbs down more bears than hair

i have been hunting 4-5 times a week after work and all weekend, and this year in 357 i have saw more than 8 grizzlys since the 17th of september, these bears arent scared of humans anymore, and are giant furry tractors. ive seen one sow with 2 big cubs, and the rest in pairs or alone. in the areas i hunt the piles of s*** look like someone dumped them with a 5 Gallon pail and i wouldnt be suprised to see a whole rabbit in there! lol.... regardless we cant do anything about it except be proactive in keeping ourselves safe, and mitigating the risk of encounterig them. I have al together left several spots after seeing bear sas i dont want to be put in the situation of kill or be killed

stay safe !
Old 09-30-2015, 02:25 PM

I spend most of my spare time between GP and Grande Cache, and so for many years. There is a lot of grizzly in there, and it is scary at times, I had bears follow me back to the truck, others blocking the way back to the truck or coming to the calls. Definitly an area that people have to stay alert.
Old 10-01-2015, 07:38 AM

you cant help but laugh at this little bear
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3qhEIZBlX8
Old 10-01-2015, 09:01 AM

Why are you guys so afraid of Grizzlies???

You don't get out of the truck in grizz country ? Or you've left areas because of grizzly sign on the ground ??

They've always been there in good numbers, been seeing them every year for the last 20 years I've hunted that zone. But it's all good, head to the farmland where you're safe from those evil bears lol
Old 10-01-2015, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernelment View Post
i have been hunting 4-5 times a week after work and all weekend, and this year in 357 i have saw more than 8 grizzlys since the 17th of september, these bears arent scared of humans anymore, and are giant furry tractors.

SouthWest section of 357?
Old 10-01-2015, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post

You don't get out of the truck in grizz country ? Or you've left areas because of grizzly sign on the ground ??
I prefer not to when I hunt solo.
Old 10-01-2015, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post

They've always been there in good numbers, been seeing them every year for the last 20 years I've hunted that zone. But it's all good, head to the farmland where you're safe from those evil bears lol
Suppose to be near a dozen grizz near the grovedale butcher and another dozen out in the last few standing oat fields, thats allot of grizzlys!!!

If there world is warming why is there so many new snowflakes?

If we are all equal why are you demanding special treatment?
Old 10-01-2015, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by husky7mm View Post
Suppose to be near a dozen grizz near the grovedale butcher and another dozen out in the last few standing oat fields, thats allot of grizzlys!!!
There's always been a good number of bears out near Terry's ! Now I'm not sure if there's a dozen or not but I wouldn't be surprised.
We got my truck stuck up on Nose mountain in the late 90's and had to walk out the next day. We counted 60 sets of grizzly tracks crossing the road up there before we stopped counting. Only saw one bear that day, he was headed the other direction of course.

I will admit I stopped bowhunting solo without bringing a shotgun with me. But I am guilty of leaving my rifle in the truck most days when I guide though
As long as somebody has a gun I'm good lol
Old 10-01-2015, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by husky7mm View Post
I'm not so sure how accurate that is. I've been on the northern border of 356 and all I've come across is black bear. I could be wrong though! So far from my Grovedale buddies I have heard of one grizz on a guys property down toward the two lakes road.
Old 10-01-2015, 11:39 AM

Cougar however is another story......lol
Old 10-01-2015, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gphunter99 View Post
I'm not so sure how accurate that is. I've been on the northern border of 356 and all I've come across is black bear. I could be wrong though! So far from my Grovedale buddies I have heard of one grizz on a guys property down toward the two lakes road.
saw trail cam pics of sow and cub west of the butchers place a ways, and a video of a boar walking down gravel road in the area. so thats at least 3

so the grouse action is pretty good south of town??
Old 10-01-2015, 02:31 PM

Nope! no grouse at all. Bears, wolves and cougars ate them all.
Old 10-01-2015, 04:28 PM

Yikes! A guy has be on his toes out there.
Old 10-03-2015, 04:32 PM
Banned

I spent 4 days last week in the same general area and saw a pile of Grizz sign. Ended up getting my bull on day 4
Old 10-03-2015, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResidentSpokesman View Post
I spent 4 days last week in the same general area and saw a pile of Grizz sign. Ended up getting my bull on day 4
Gratz on your bull!
Old 10-04-2015, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResidentSpokesman View Post
Moose or elk?

Tags
grizzly, moose hunting, wmu 356