Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-13-2012, 08:23 AM

Default New Canadian truck drivers

This picture is the result of loader meeting open storage door on trailer.
I drive a loader for a living, load from 10 feet up to 60 feet lifts on to 48 steps, flat decks, 53 ft steps and flat decks. I've noticed lately that a lot of drivers that come in cannot speak even simple English. Example, you need you're bunks up.
I get that blank stare, after pointing and pointing sometimes even getting out of the loader to show them I'm wondering how they even got their truck license.
Not all are like this but I would say at least 95% are.
I've had to show some how to even tie down their load, where to put their bunks ect. Above picture is a direct result of leaving storage door open after belly strapping.
No sympathy from me, took pic, reported it and kept on with my day.
Old 10-13-2012, 08:29 AM

The culprit. The outside forks spread from 16 feet out to 32 feet
Old 10-13-2012, 08:44 AM
Banned

Now that's a forklift!
Old 10-13-2012, 08:44 AM

you think its bad here, try the lower mainland. It's a joke.
Old 10-13-2012, 08:48 AM
Banned

I'm pretty sure lots of people get their licence by paying the fee. That's it. Here's the money, here's your licence. The way some people drive, there is absolutely no way they ever passed a drivers test.
Old 10-13-2012, 08:56 AM

A couple of weeks ago I ran into one of the guys you are talking about. He took the wrong turn on highway22 and was trying to back up his trailer. I felt sorry for him and took him to a flat spot so he could turn around. I never understood one word he said. The sad part is there are truckers who have lost their trucks or their trucks are just sitting because these guys undercut the fees.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:02 AM

Insurance companies are your best friend here. They routinely get class 1 driving schools shutdown, cause they look at the stats from the driving schools and accidents, then work with the government to have em looked at. Recently a Calgary school was shutdown and many drivers had to go get there class 1 again. Personally if i Went to get my class 1 I want the training that is a big ass truck.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:10 AM

Also love it when they get stuck or jack knife across a highway, not only can they not drive, but claim they have no money or credit cards to pay the tow bill, brutal, makes one wonder how they get across the country and deliver loads to their destination.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:31 AM

I know i personally have NEVER met a white person who was a bad driver. In fact i don't think a "true" Canadian has ever gotten a ticket or been in an accident,or lost a load ever in history. DAMN BROWNS!!!!!!

(Sarcastic post)
Old 10-13-2012, 09:52 AM

[QUOTE=pophouseman;1646913]I know i personally have NEVER met a white person who was a bad driver. In fact i don't think a "true" Canadian has ever gotten a ticket or been in an accident,or lost a load ever in history. DAMN BROWNS!!!!!!
Ha ha ha, but at least when I tell them to get the *#** back in their truck they know exactly what I mean. If you have never met a white truck driver who was a bad driver than your not in the right industry... Sarcastic also.
And the other post is right, they are undercutting the other trucking companies to get the load. There are a lot of good truck drivers out there and a lot of bad ones, just to bad the bad ones give them all a bad name. There was a time when you could count on a truck driver to stop and help you out on the highway at anytime at all. Now, not so much as the code they all followed at one time has eroded. I am a truck drivers daughter and have been in them many times as a young girl. Have seen my fathers conduct and its not even close today. To bad really because there was a day when the brotherhood meant something....
Old 10-13-2012, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
Now that's a forklift!
Yup, a 938Cat with a custom hydraulic mast that goes from ground level to 20 feet in the air. The outer forks move in and out as stated ubove. Can be interesting with 2 sixty foot lifts up 20 feet in the air.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:00 AM

Ever try giving directions to one of these new drivers to a remote oilfield lease. They get very confused when they don't have streets or avenues to work with.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:03 AM

Talking

Its funny all the loaders cry, pizz and moan over the drivers. And the drivers do the same about the Loaders.

I say... boo hoo.

Even though some of these "new canadian" drivers as you call them, couldnt drive they're way out of aa wet paper bag, your lucky they are there picking up your load anyways.

Companies all over have big issues finding any drivers at all. If there were no drivers to haul your freight, then what?

Our drivers deal with loaders who think they are god.... 22 skids, on the floor, but no, we will put 2 skids on and go for coffee. Then 5 more, go play cards, 3 hours later, heres your BOL. When it should have taken 15 minutes.

Ya...some people are useless, but its all over on both sides.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elko View Post
Also love it when they get stuck or jack knife across a highway, not only can they not drive, but claim they have no money or credit cards to pay the tow bill, brutal, makes one wonder how they get across the country and deliver loads to their destination.

very ignorant. Conditions? Another Hero post that think they are better than the rest
Old 10-13-2012, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasingtail View Post
Ever try giving directions to one of these new drivers to a remote oilfield lease. They get very confused when they don't have streets or avenues to work with.
OMG I couldn't even imagine having to do that. At least with me I can just tell them to get in their truck ( sometimes nice, sometimes not), load em and point to the tarping station. I always always make sure that the load is safe when I put it on, if that means belly straping, making them move bunks around so be it but I cannot control how they strap down their load, some are willing to be shown, some play Québecois and don't or won't understand.
And get on my case if you want to, I also unfortunately was born and raised in the only bilingual province in Canada and had enough, hence in Alberta and love it.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
Its funny all the loaders cry, pizz and moan over the drivers. And the drivers do the same about the Loaders.

I say... boo hoo.

Even though some of these "new canadian" drivers as you call them, couldnt drive they're way out of aa wet paper bag, your lucky they are there picking up your load anyways.

Companies all over have big issues finding any drivers at all. If there were no drivers to haul your freight, then what?

Our drivers deal with loaders who think they are god.... 22 skids, on the floor, but no, we will put 2 skids on and go for coffee. Then 5 more, go play cards, 3 hours later, heres your BOL. When it should have taken 15 minutes.

Ya...some people are useless, but its all over on both sides.
Agreed Alberta big bore, have heard horror stories about loader operators. Just what you stated. I can't speak for other loader operators only for ours. There are two of us and we always try to treat everyone with respect and load as fast and efficiently as we can. We will even give up our breaks to load on a busy day but that is the way we roll. Respect respect respect, something we earn not get in my world. When the same drivers come in week after week and the same issues arise makes you shake your head, ya read them the SOP's and go to load em only to discover them on the other side of the trailer looking at gauges. What part of 10000lbs on your head don't they understand.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:51 AM

[QUOTE=flygirrl;1646933]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pophouseman View Post
I know i personally have NEVER met a white person who was a bad driver. In fact i don't think a "true" Canadian has ever gotten a ticket or been in an accident,or lost a load ever in history. DAMN BROWNS!!!!!!
Ha ha ha, but at least when I tell them to get the *#** back in their truck they know exactly what I mean. If you have never met a white truck driver who was a bad driver than your not in the right industry... Sarcastic also.
And the other post is right, they are undercutting the other trucking companies to get the load. There are a lot of good truck drivers out there and a lot of bad ones, just to bad the bad ones give them all a bad name. There was a time when you could count on a truck driver to stop and help you out on the highway at anytime at all. Now, not so much as the code they all followed at one time has eroded. I am a truck drivers daughter and have been in them many times as a young girl. Have seen my fathers conduct and its not even close today. To bad really because there was a day when the brotherhood meant something....
As for your encountering truck drivers who aren't native to english, the trucking industry is short more than 50,000 drivers. It's an expensive and time consuming process to bring in immigrant truck drivers, but companies are doing it because they can't find enough white, english speaking drivers.

There are not enough Canadians wanting to drive trucks for a living, we need food and goods in our stores, lumber in our yards, fuel at our gas pumps. So bringing in drivers from other places is how it has to go. If there's not enough drivers to take loads, we don't need that big fancy forklift or a person to run it.

As for immigrant workers somehow getting their license easier than anyone else, I have a friend who works for a company that brings in qualified immigrant workers for industries with shortages. They have to go through that exact same process that you and I have to go through to get our licences.

As for stopping and helping people at the side of the road, I have also given up stopping to help people. WHY? because in this day, 99% of the population have a cell phone on them at all times, hell even my grandparents have one with them at all times. All you do is pull over for them to tell you they have help on the way. The only time I pull over now is if something looks serious, it's extremely cold, or there's children there. Fortunately the days of being totally screwed and stranded and having to depend on roadside strangers are long gone. I'd rather my family just call me for help.

All of these issues raised have a reasonable reason for being, and I don't see the big problem with them. There are worse things going on in this country right now than how proficient our truck drivers are in english.....
Old 10-13-2012, 11:10 AM

I don't think color,creed, or race has anything to do with driving or loading.
It all boils down to proper instruction and experiance. These ABC driving schools are too quick to give a pass to someone that can't drive. The companies that hire these guys are also to blame, hire the cheap ones and the job gets done just the same. Some of these drivers have no experiance and they turn them loose on our highways. I have been driving many, many years and have seen many bad drivers get themselves and others into terrible circumstances. I don't know the answer but, six months of driving school isn't the right one. I started driving when I was 18, local P&D, then moved up finaly to highway driver. This was a long process, not six months of school and I'm out there.
Old 10-13-2012, 11:12 AM

That's almost like cheating using a forklift like that! I had to load 60' Ganglam and 60' I-Joists with a Hyster 15.5 with forks that only extended to about 5'.

The biggest problem was the language barrier with these guys; not the work ethic. Once they knew where I needed them to be in the yard and where I needed the belly wraps tied down on the load, they were great. They are some of the fastest guys as well when it comes to rolling up their tarps. I have heard way more white guys bit%^ and complain about tarps than brown guys. They can have all the tarps rolled up and ready to go in 15 minutes. It takes some white drivers that long to get into their coveralls and find their loadbar.

I have never seen a single one of them laugh or get pizzed off at a rookie forklift operator who is being overly cautious but I have seen lots of white guys be *****s. The white guys are the ones who tell a guy to hurry up or give the old " &%$ Sakes!!!! I have to be in Edmonton by 3:30!! " but they show up to the yard at 2:30 and talk about their 2 hour lunch at the Roadkill.

If they are shown some respect and if the forklift operators take an extra minute to explain what is required the loading/offloading will go much more smoothly.
Old 10-13-2012, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Hunter Okotoks View Post
That's almost like cheating using a forklift like that! I had to load 60' Ganglam and 60' I-Joists with a Hyster 15.5 with forks that only extended to about 5'.

The biggest problem was the language barrier with these guys; not the work ethic. Once they knew where I needed them to be in the yard and where I needed the belly wraps tied down on the load, they were great. They are some of the fastest guys as well when it comes to rolling up their tarps. I have heard way more white guys bit%^ and complain about tarps than brown guys. They can have all the tarps rolled up and ready to go in 15 minutes. It takes some white drivers that long to get into their coveralls and find their loadbar.

I have never seen a single one of them laugh or get pizzed off at a rookie forklift operator who is being overly cautious but I have seen lots of white guys be *****s. The white guys are the ones who tell a guy to hurry up or give the old " &%$ Sakes!!!! I have to be in Edmonton by 3:30!! " but they show up to the yard at 2:30 and talk about their 2 hour lunch at the Roadkill.

If they are shown some respect and if the forklift operators take an extra minute to explain what is required the loading/offloading will go much more smoothly.
I agree 100%. We have guys that come in all the time. Same company same drivers, boy are they fast. Love them, (Quote: if the forklift operators take an extra minute to explain :unquote ) its the few that dont understand the language that I have issues with. Its when they put them selves in danger and you have read the SOP's to them or you have tried to show them or tell them. I had one driver that said yes and signed the SOP's that he understood them then proceeded to walk from the cab of his truck to beside his trailer as I was hauling off a 60 foot lift off the top of the load to center it. of course when it comes off the top the 13 foot overhang on each side of the forks bounce up and down. No hard hat would of saved him if I hadnt of seen him walk there.
Another one, Tried to tell him to take his strap off the load as I had missed a pack to put on, next thing I knew he is on top of the load trying to throw his tarp off, SOP'S clearly state not allowed on load. I had to get out and undo the strap for him to make him understand, that was after I got him off the load and on the ground, did not need the tarps off, could pick them off with a fork if need be.
But they understood everything and the sop's clearly state he is to stay in or at the cab of the truck while loading. We have lots that come overseas that are great and they speak very good english although with a cockney accent.
I have no issue with anyone I just believe that in order to work in this country you must at least be able to read and understand grade 5 english. OOPS. I guess a lot of us should leave now......
Old 10-13-2012, 11:46 AM

At work I often interact with upwards of 400+ truck drivers a day some days. There are simply a lot of bad drivers out there, period. White, brown, male, female, oriental, hispanic....its all the same.

"Professional Driver" does not mean the same thing it did years ago. Its a simple fact that companies are in dire need of drivers and do anything to hire anyone they can to hold onto a wheel and drive a 53' trailer down the highway. Really sad the level of incompetence out there. There are some truly amazing skilled drivers out there as well, and again it doesent seem to matter color, race, age, or sex.

"New Truck Drivers" should be the title of this thread...
Old 10-13-2012, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rackmastr View Post
At work I often interact with upwards of 400+ truck drivers a day some days. There are simply a lot of bad drivers out there, period. White, brown, male, female, oriental, hispanic....its all the same.

"Professional Driver" does not mean the same thing it did years ago. Its a simple fact that companies are in dire need of drivers and do anything to hire anyone they can to hold onto a wheel and drive a 53' trailer down the highway. Really sad the level of incompetence out there. There are some truly amazing skilled drivers out there as well, and again it doesent seem to matter color, race, age, or sex.

"New Truck Drivers" should be the title of this thread...
Have to repost this as I soooooooooooooooooo agree, its just so sad.. Dont agree on the title change as I have seen some bad ones that have been driving for years. Again its not so nmuch bad driver vurses good driver its speaking the language I was trying to point out, maybe I didnt explain myself very good in my form of english.
Old 10-13-2012, 01:30 PM

Ignorant no, I drove for years so know what conditions can do. I am talking the dummy standing beside his truck when all he has to do is drive it out, or chain up and get out himself, but expects some one to do it for him, then pulls the no english, no way to pay crap.

But have seen some that speak it fine do some real dumb stuff and wonder why they are no blocking a major highway.

My dad drove for a living all his life, don't even ask him about warehouse and loader guys lol. All depends which side your sitting on.