Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 09:49 PM

Arrow Coquitlam teen commits suicide after creating video about being cyberbullied

Who ever puts another human being down is Obviously insecure and is lacking attention or has other issues within themselves and needs a mental assessment, it's called peace, love, equality and respect, grow up you cowards. Hope this makes you think twice before putting others down.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOHXG...&feature=share

http://www.vancouversun.com/touch/story.html?id=7375941
Old 10-11-2012, 09:58 PM

I just saw this. It is sickening these kids need to be held accountable for their actions. Worse thing is we have adults on this site that do the exact same thing. When I was a kid bullies were pretty easy to deal with if you fought back they usually leave you alone, but now days its not just one person they attack in packs and don't give a rats azz about what they are putting someone through. It's very sad the direction our youth is heading.

Andy
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Old 10-11-2012, 10:01 PM

wow very sad situation indeed ! In the worst possible way , shes at peace now . Be nice to see some of those who bothered her get theirs in life !!
Old 10-11-2012, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGSH View Post
Who ever puts another human being down is Obviously insecure and is lacking attention or has other issues within themselves and needs a mental assessment, it's called peace, love, equality and respect, grow up you cowards. Hope this makes you think twice before putting others down.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOHXG...&feature=share

http://www.vancouversun.com/touch/story.html?id=7375941
Excellent but sad post Shawn !!

Last edited by buckmaster; 10-11-2012 at 10:30 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshot View Post
I just saw this. It is sickening these kids need to be held accountable for their actions. Worse thing is we have adults on this site that do the exact same thing. When I was a kid bullies were pretty easy to deal with if you fought back they usually leave you alone, but now days its not just one person they attack in packs and don't give a rats azz about what they are putting someone through. It's very sad the direction our youth is heading.

Andy
Most of the bullying today is cyber-bullying. Very powerful and sad tool to send a bullying message to the world.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:11 PM

This world turned into a sad place with the internet. Facebook and all that jazz has ruined many lives, and especially alot of our youth population.

I dont see where it says she is dead... I see her looking for someone to lean on, and a picture of cutting, which if actual suicide, its down the mountian, not across the valley.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
This world turned into a sad place with the internet. Facebook and all that jazz has ruined many lives, and especially alot of our youth population.

I dont see where it says she is dead... I see her looking for someone to lean on, and a picture of cutting, which if actual suicide, its down the mountian, not across the valley.
Very sad indeed. The second link is to the newspaper article informing of the young ladies suicide.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:17 PM

oops, didnt see it, thought it was part of BGSH signature
Old 10-11-2012, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post

Unfortunately bullying didn't start with the Internet, it is unfortunate that the Internet has made bullying that much more efficient. No longer is the bully the big kid in the school yard but enabled many more the opportunity to become bullies.

Very tragic that one poor decision in response to lewd request led to such a tragic event. A beautiful young girl is gone because her peers couldn't let hat decision go, my sincerest condolences to the family. May your memories of her never fade and the warmth of your love for her beat strong in your hearts. God be with you in your time of need
Old 10-11-2012, 10:25 PM

its a sad day, i feel for her family.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kritofr View Post
Unfortunately bullying didn't start with the Internet, it is unfortunate that the Internet has made bullying that much more efficient.
Thats how I was trying to get my point across.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:41 PM

Quote:

Andy
X 2...They followed her to a different school and bullied her there also...She was beaten by a group of kids and left in a ditch...These kids are not bullies they are thugs...
Old 10-11-2012, 10:42 PM
Banned

Very very sad. Rip Amanda
Old 10-11-2012, 10:44 PM

It's a very sad thing and sometimes you don't even know something is wrong. I had a good friend hang himself when we were in grade 8, we never knew he was unhappy. That was 30 yrs ago. I think we have all been guilty of bullying at one time or another but we need to set the right example for our kids.

Andy
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Old 10-11-2012, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Worse thing is we have adults on this site that do the exact same thing.
x2
Old 10-11-2012, 10:52 PM
Banned

Very sad.

Lots of good hints and tips there if you have young kids/teenagers.
We gave our daughter access to Facebook for her 13 birthday (last week)
Some extremely strict rules associated with it.

We are keeping a very close eye on her and her friends over these next few years.

Jamie
Old 10-11-2012, 11:06 PM

Just terribble. Needs to be programs in place at school to get it through. This is a form of brainwash, making one believe that everyone hates them including god. Aswell as giving peopl down syndrome. Depression... Othe that turn young girls into anorexics.
The penalty's but the youth justice app has too much protection. I can see that is usefull in some cases to protect them. But it also diminishes the sentencing. And they don't realize the seriousness of a brutal crime
I don't care if your 9 or 19 if your at the at the age that you understand what bullying is,
Then you understand what murder is, I say these kids should be handed a reduced 1st degree murder charge, 10 for patrol can be held for 15.
I don't think that they understand it is still 100% their fault, and be shown just how easy
They can get a life sentence. Get to them young. They might learn a thing or 2 about how society has no time for abuser's. Right now a murder charge is a 4 year penalty, out in 2 on good behaviour. That is not enough..
Old 10-11-2012, 11:13 PM
Banned

Not sure if school can help.
My daughters school is all about the character end of things, and I still hear and see things that tick me off.

Take care of your kids is the best solution.

Jamie
Old 10-12-2012, 03:57 AM

Very sad situation. RIP Amanda
Old 10-12-2012, 07:13 AM
Banned

Wow,, what a situation, very sad.

I have to wonder though where are the parents in all this. Not only the parents of the victim, like where are they in this childs life that she couldn't go to them for support and help. There are alternatives like private schools, put the computer down. Where are the parents of these huligins, they should be charged along with these sick indaviduals.

Its time parents are held responsable for the upbringing of their children.. Oh wait I know,, its a faze they have to go through.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:36 AM

Very sad and I really hope they go after the "bullies"....
Old 10-12-2012, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyes View Post
Wow,, what a situation, very sad.

I have to wonder though where are the parents in all this. Not only the parents of the victim, like where are they in this childs life that she couldn't go to them for support and help. There are alternatives like private schools, put the computer down. Where are the parents of these huligins, they should be charged along with these sick indaviduals.

Its time parents are held responsable for the upbringing of their children.. Oh wait I know,, its a faze they have to go through.
Yup. Exactly some of these kids can look you in the eye and blatantly lie to you. I'd say a little more discipline is the answer but who will do it,
The thing is most children in the age rate of 8-13 are told that it is wrong or it is bad. When they should be told that it is a serious crime, and and all parents should be telling there kids, if you are being bully'd you know a bully, or someone who is being bullied should come forth imidiatly so it dosent get out of and and protect people from being hurt, sadly this often not the case. And a fragile 8-12 year old mind can be deeply warped within days and cause all sort of disorder and the like, if action is not taken immediatly. Its important to get to them young. And to drill it into their brains at a young age, so it dosent make it to level of gang beatdowns, and suicides.
Its not just the the victim that can be hurt, a large percentage of bully's grow up to be violent offenders.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mb-MBR View Post
Very sad and I really hope they go after the "bullies"....
No offence, MBR, but that is why we have more bullies these days.

Everybody waits for "them" to do something about it.

Couldn't watch all the video.....4am visit from the police? Nice.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:26 AM

You can't always blame the parents tho guys,I knew fellas who were bullies when I was a kid and if thier folks had found out they woulda skinned them alive.I would complain to my folks and they would tell me not to be a baby so I had to deal with it myself.Trouble was I was raised in a very evangelical christian home so if I fought back rather than turn the other cheek I would get my backside kicked by my own folks,it was a lose lose situation for me....Since those days I ain't got much use for bullies and I tend to avoid church.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:36 AM

This upsets to me to no end. In today's world we teach acceptance of differences and yet it seems it is getting worse.

Not sure what the answer is but I feel that this young lady felt she had nowhere to go, Where were her parents... But not blaming them either as that is the last thing they need. they may have been shut out by this young lady as acceptance by peers is such a huge priority for these young folks.

If you talked to the parents of the bullies probably "Not my kid!" syndrome. We don't understand how delicate the self esteem balance is one these young folks sometimes and they pressure they are under.

Life is so unfair you get those who are full of life taken by accident or illness that would love to just stay on this planet and then those who decide it is such a terrible place that they would rather exit it.

The effects of this is truly tragic. I had a cousin who commit suicide at 18 after many attempts and the effects it has on a a family is unvbelievable. It still has its effects 28 years later. The biggest unanswered question is WHY?

The pressures of life is incredible despite having all these "conveniences and "labour saving" devices.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post
Very sad situation. RIP Amanda
X2 I'm at a loss as to what else to say

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 10-12-2012, 09:37 AM

Rip young lady, tragic story for everyone. I have to wonder, where were her parents, did they have a clue she was feeling this way. I have a 14 yr old boy, 12 yr old girl. The boy has seen no drama what so ever in 9 grades of school. My daughter, different story. She has not been bullied but her good friend has. Two girls were friends in gr 5, by gr 6 the one girls mission was to bully and get as many of the other girls against the other one. Because my daughter stayed friends with her, she was outcast for a while. This girl was hauled into the office and had a meeting with her mom and the principal, that seemed to help but it was a pack mentality for a while. Today in gr 7, they are friends again. WTF. I was a shrimp in Jr high and one guy who was my friend started bullying me. It stoped when i punched him so hard in the guts that he puked. Surprised me as much as him i think that i would hit him. He was bigger then me. I talk to my kids about this all the time. I tell them the next 6 yrs of school will be the toughest. There will be drama, girls can be friends one day then beeatches the next. The thing to remember is, its 6 yrs, not a lifetime. By post secondary, everyone is trying to better their chance for a job, different school mentality. I tell my kids, suicide is not the answer, telling me is. I will do whatever it takes, talk to principal and parents, move schools, home school whatever it takes. As a dad, if someone or a group of kids beat up one of my kids and left them in a ditch, i would want to do the same to them, it would be hard not to. Condolances to this girls family.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:41 AM
Banned

Seen this yesterday, terrible situation. How far did this beautiful young girl have to be driven to take her own life?

If you watch this video, seems like many people knew what was going on but how many intervened?
http://www.vancouversun.com/Video+Am...102/story.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekred View Post
"Not my kid!" syndrome
Pretty much nails it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshell View Post
You can't always blame the parents tho guys
I get what you're saying bigshell, back in our day it was good to fight back. I moved around alot, and being the new kid in town came with other guys wanting to test your limits. Did alot of fighting back then, had no choice.

We can blame the parents this day in age - cause many parents truthfully don't care what their kids are doing on the internet. It's a babysitter for them. We have removed accountability, and that's reality. Parents need to be more aware of what their kids are doing, and need to be proactive about catching things before they happen.

Off track for a moment... My sister and I talked a couple of years ago in detail about internet and what her adopted daughter would do in her early teens. I was told to shove it, mind my own business. Ok, fine. She knows better, great. Well, just this week another incident in a long line of incidents - "not her kid" at 12 years old was receiving nude pics of her male friends wanting to have sex with her. At least she handled it right, she sent the pics to the boy's parents. And of course, those parents had no clue what "not their kid" was doing.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:44 AM

It's such a sad story whenever we lose a child. Suicide is the second most common way to lose young people they say.
There is a guy who has devoted his life into speaking into kids lives and addressing some of these issues that young people are facing. He has been going to schools and engaging the kids and trying to make a difference. Check it out :

http://robbnash.com/

It is interesting to go to Robb's facebook page and see what the kids have to say after he comes to their school.
We need to do a better job as a society in raising respectful/caring citizens
Old 10-12-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post
Off track for a moment... My sister and I talked a couple of years ago in detail about internet and what her adopted daughter would do in her early teens. I was told to shove it, mind my own business. Ok, fine. She knows better, great. Well, just this week another incident in a long line of incidents - "not her kid" at 12 years old was receiving nude pics of her male friends wanting to have sex with her. At least she handled it right, she sent the pics to the boy's parents. And of course, those parents had no clue what "not their kid" was doing.
Had this conversation with a friend about his daughter.
Again got the "not my kid" line.
Well she just turned 14 and gave birth in July!