Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 11-09-2015, 05:43 PM
Banned

Default Hurting for Coyote Bait....Suggestions?

Anyone know of any abattoirs not too far north of Edmonton? With this warm weather I can't make meatcicles and I've been going through bait like crazy. Parkland Packers has shut down and Coronado Meats isn't butchering this year so I'm down to one supplier and he's not doing much butchering. I drove into Darcy's in the St Albert industrial park today but they shutdown and either moved or are no longer in business. I'm not asking anyone to share their favourite supplier, just looking for ideas for this area.

I'm down to nailing beavers to a tree but I only have so many of them and that won't last long.

I'm going to drop into the county office tomorrow to see if I can get called to pick up roadkills but I haven't seen too many this year. Maybe when the rut kicks in. I'm also going to visit a dry dog food factory tomorrow to see if I can scrounge any waste product off of them.
Anyone have any other ideas?
Old 11-09-2015, 06:20 PM

You will catch WAY more if you get a big pile. A garbage can meatcicle is not going to do it or a beaver nailed to a tree either. It's the birds that bring them in and it takes a pile of scraps to feed them feathered beasts. Your best bet is to talk to a pile of people before the season. Ranchers,hog farmers, butchers and hope for the best in getting bait. I find with my connections I can only only keep about 5-6 baits going if I had to. I will drop a truckload at a time in one spot every week and a half. Big bones is the way to go. The pork trim doesn't seem to work as well and the birds clean it up fast. I find after hunting season she is tough to find bait. Another reason I start early. If I hear of anything will let you know
Old 11-09-2015, 07:25 PM
Banned

Thanks, Nube. I've been feeding them muskrat carcasses and butcher scraps/bones for awhile now and their trails are pretty visible even without snow. I'm trapping small pockets of bush in farmland and I can take out a whole pack in a week then it trickles to nothing and I have to move on. I was way too busy this summer/fall laying sod and building decks in the +34 degree heat and it caught up to me. I wasn't nearly prepped enough going into this season. I'll make it work even if I have to go to Sobey's and get one bag at a time....lol!

They know where the dinner table is so maybe it's time to experiment with lure while it's warm.
Old 11-09-2015, 07:55 PM

Try Onoway Packers , 780-967-2727
Old 11-09-2015, 08:38 PM

You can always stop for road kill. Just call F&W before you pick it up and they will give you a permit. Cattle operations will have a few laying around.

The last time I stopped at onoway custom packers it was $25 for a garbage can of bones. They sold last year to Parkland Packers if I remember correctly.
Paul
Old 11-09-2015, 09:26 PM

What happened to Parkland? You could also try calling Sangudo Custom Meats. Don't know if they sell bones/scraps but it may be worth a call. I have six steers going in on the 20th. They kill on Fridays. What all do you take?
Old 11-09-2015, 09:42 PM
Banned

Whatever fills the back of my truck....lol! I have a couple of leads to look into tomorrow and I'm hoping that things work out. This warm weather has screwed things up with the requirement for more bait because it wouldn't freeze and fewer roadkills. It's not a life and death issue and it'll sort itself out.....it always does. Thanks!
Old 11-09-2015, 09:47 PM

Talk to a couple of the smaller butcher shops they usually have a guy that custom kills on farm show up when he kills and every farmer i no will leave you haul guts away for free just bring a big enough bin to hold guts when they drop them out
Old 11-09-2015, 09:53 PM

Can you take the guts/carcasses from a deer? We still have to get a couple Mule Deer, I usually drop them into the big mineral tubs for disposal. And you're welcome to what ever pieces from the steers if they can part with them.
Old 11-09-2015, 10:11 PM

The other thing you might want to think about is why keep feeding them yotes Dave? Get some cables on some trees and string them up buddy. Problem solved They look real good now for the most part.
Old 11-09-2015, 10:35 PM
Banned

Yup, getting at it starting tomorrow. Someone has a dead cow at one spot for almost a week now so I don't know what's left yet, I'll find out tomorrow. It took me 5 days to take out 7 there last year and then it stopped and on to another location. It's a weird area that I snare in. All fields with 10(?) acre pockets of bush and no large areas of bush. Once you trap one pocket out, it's on to another location a couple of kms away. The other 2 bait sites that I have on the go have been baited for about 3 weeks and 4 weeks. There are trails coming in but I ran out of bait before I could get my snares up. I'm ready to rock and roll, just gotta put the finishing touches to things.
Old 11-09-2015, 10:51 PM

You got to have Patience buddy. My baits will go a couple days or more and then wham you get 3 or 4 in one check. You might think you got them all in an area but you don't. Later on when I have killed 15-20 I start doing 3 day checks as you won't get any for a few days.
Old 11-09-2015, 11:05 PM
Banned

Once I wipe out a pack in the area, they're gone....lol! After that I get stragglers that trickle in. It's a little more challenging here than near a feedlot or where there is lots of bush. That's why I wait until they prime up. Wipe out the whole pack and move on and there are only so many spots to trap unless I want to travel farther out.
Old 11-10-2015, 11:26 AM

How many snares do you set at each bait?...
Old 11-10-2015, 12:27 PM

do you have barrels? I might be able to help you out
Old 11-10-2015, 01:24 PM

Dave you gotta get your hands on some moose or elk hides. They have some staying power.