Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-14-2021, 12:19 AM

Default Corb Lund on Coal Policy Changes and our Eastern Slopes

Friend just shared this video from Corb Lund where he talks about recent changes to the Alberta Coal Policy and opening of the eastern slopes to mountain top mining.

Apart from making good music he clearly definitely cares about folks in this province and what this all means. In my mind something we should be paying attention to as hunters/anglers and conservationists (and farmers). Give it a listen before you comment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqOx...0n5ByMwa163uL8
Old 01-14-2021, 06:36 AM

Another uneducated person from the entertainment industry yapping is all I see in the video

Seems we are getting bombarded with anti coal posts by AO members that rarely contribute lately
Old 01-14-2021, 06:40 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs down

stick to making music and singing.....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-14-2021, 06:45 AM

Personally, I really don't care what entertainers have to say about the environment or politics.
Old 01-14-2021, 06:51 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Personally, I really don't care what entertainers have to say about the environment or politics.
yah they have a platform developed from one talent then generally run with that and spin off of it only to make complete idiots of themselves with a following from the original platform....common denominator in this is...idiots.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-14-2021, 06:56 AM

He has a vested interest. Grew up there. More connection to the area than most.
Old 01-14-2021, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Same. I'm all for them having a voice, we are all entitled to our own opinion.

But their voice shouldn't carry more weight than someone else's just because they are a successful entertainer.
Old 01-14-2021, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
stick to making music and singing.....

Or playing hockey.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 01-14-2021, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Another uneducated person from the entertainment industry yapping is all I see in the video

Seems we are getting bombarded with anti coal posts by AO members that rarely contribute lately
Lund is a third rate singer looking for publicity.

Grizz
Old 01-14-2021, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
This^
Old 01-14-2021, 12:47 PM

Well, what would have been good is a little public consultation prior to making changes to an act that that was brought in over 40 years ago. Brought in by the Conservative Laugheed government.

Nope, it was repealed on the friday before a long weekend in the middle of a pandemic.
And it's not just one mine, Grassy Mtn, there's 6 applications that run from south of hiway 3 up the 940 to North of The Old Man river. That's one huge swath of land that could have major changes made to it.

I'm all for responsible resource development, but this seems to go beyond that.

PLUS I HUNT THAT AREA! 90% of my hunting is on crown land or grazing leases. This is a problem that effects many Alberta Outdoorsmen.

I get the economy needs help, heck I got let go in June, but some things are worth leaving intact in my opinion, logging sure, wells sure, but turning a mountain into something that resembles Mordor......No thanks.
Old 01-14-2021, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pekan View Post
Well, what would have been good is a little public consultation prior to making changes to an act that that was brought in over 40 years ago. Brought in by the Conservative Laugheed government.

Nope, it was repealed on the friday before a long weekend in the middle of a pandemic.
And it's not just one mine, Grassy Mtn, there's 6 applications that run from south of hiway 3 up the 940 to North of The Old Man river. That's one huge swath of land that could have major changes made to it.

I'm all for responsible resource development, but this seems to go beyond that.

PLUS I HUNT THAT AREA! 90% of my hunting is on crown land or grazing leases. This is a problem that effects many Alberta Outdoorsmen.

I get the economy needs help, heck I got let go in June, but some things are worth leaving intact in my opinion, logging sure, wells sure, but turning a mountain into something that resembles Mordor......No thanks.
well I could go with redeveloping the existing mines on a 25 year plan. We do not have a lot to say about tent mountain as it is mostly in B.C.
Put the headwaters of the Oldman river in the Cabin Ridge area off limits for development. For the first phase of 25 years allow only 3 mines not 6
Old 01-14-2021, 04:02 PM

From Alberta website. Doesn’t sound as sinister as he is making it out to be. Just updating a policy that is over 40 years old.

Rescission of the Coal Policy
Government is rescinding A Coal Development Policy for Alberta (Coal Policy), effective June 1, 2020. See Information Letter 2020-23 and Coal Information Bulletin 2020-02 for more information.
The Coal Policy was originally published in 1976, before modern regulatory processes existed. The scope of the policy was wide-ranging and included, among other items, a land use classification system. The policy divided the province into four categories which dictated where and how coal leasing, exploration and development could occur. When these categories were created, land use planning hadn’t yet been completed, supporting infrastructure was lacking and there were environmental concerns that the existing regulatory processes weren’t equipped to address.
With the various regulatory, policy and planning advancements over the past 45 years, the Coal Policy became obsolete.
Former category 1 lands will continue to be protected from coal leasing, exploration and development on public lands but will not infringe on private lands or freehold mineral rights. This will support critical watersheds, biodiversity (including numerous species at risk), as well as recreation and tourism activities along the eastern slopes of Alberta’s Rocky Mountains. Leasing outside of these areas will be subject to the same land use planning and management rules that apply to all other resources and industrial uses.
All coal development projects will continue to be considered through the existing rigorous Alberta Energy Regulator review process. This review is based on each project’s merits, including its economic, social and environmental impacts.
The original intention of the Coal Policy was to ensure that there were appropriate regulatory and environmental protection measures in place before new coal projects were authorized—this objective is being met by today’s modern regulatory, land use planning and leasing systems.
Old 01-14-2021, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgreen View Post
Friend just shared this video from Corb Lund where he talks about recent changes to the Alberta Coal Policy and opening of the eastern slopes to mountain top mining.

Apart from making good music he clearly definitely cares about folks in this province and what this all means. In my mind something we should be paying attention to as hunters/anglers and conservationists (and farmers). Give it a listen before you comment.
Does he cares for those thousands of folks that make a living of the mining industry directly and the tens of thousands of folks that benefit indirectly?

Need responsible development of natural resources while maintaining rigid controls to protect environment (likely the best in the world already but could be further improved) with rigid control for reclamation (we suck at this, lots of room to improve here).

We all don't make a living working for the government or because we are in the entertainment business. Seems like those people are anti-anything industrial.

I support "responsible & ethical" resource development. To that I say ramp it up.
Old 01-19-2021, 08:52 AM

Here's some more information sorry I don't know how to repost posts

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 01-19-2021, 01:48 PM

Alberta doesn't have a lot of mountains in comparison . . . .
Take one or two . . . or twenty, gone forever. Never the same after the best of reclamations. Look next door up the Elk valley, and other feeder valleys.
Make sure your land decisions are long term.
Old 01-21-2021, 05:46 PM

Default Who

Corb who?

You know, I bought a couple CD's when he first came out.

They were OK and I'm always up to support local talent.

When to Drumheller to see him and Ian Tyson in concert. Ian didn't show up. We listened to a couple songs and left and had a pizza.

Pizza was good.
Old 01-21-2021, 05:50 PM

I understand that Ian likes vodka
Old 01-21-2021, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody j View Post
I understand that Ian likes vodka
...he oughta try Gin.
Old 01-21-2021, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338Bluff View Post
...he oughta try Gin.
Guys...give Ian a bit of slack....he's getting on in years....
Old 01-21-2021, 08:02 PM

Corb can stuff his opinion, but I do enjoy Mr Ian Tyson
Old 01-21-2021, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyrodfisher View Post
Guys...give Ian a bit of slack....he's getting on in years....
No disrespect to Ian. I was only referring to Corb's latest little ditty about trying whiskey or gin.
Old 03-14-2021, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 338Bluff View Post
...he oughta try Gin.
Lol, well played!
Old 02-26-2021, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma View Post
Corb who?

You know, I bought a couple CD's when he first came out.

They were OK and I'm always up to support local talent.

When to Drumheller to see him and Ian Tyson in concert. Ian didn't show up. We listened to a couple songs and left and had a pizza.

Pizza was good.
X2, just another clueless "celebrity" looking for a cause that will promote him.

Grizz