Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 01-13-2018, 08:33 PM
Banned

Default 3D shoot draw weight question

My son and I are both interested in shooting 3D. He is 12, both of us would be in a hunter category. Is there draw weight limitations? What are the sight and stabilizer limitations? He is using a React sight and a short stabilizer, I am using a Black Gold Verdict Ascent hybrid and an 8” stabilizer. He is around 40lb (constantly change it based on him growing), I am at 63lbs.
Old 01-13-2018, 09:18 PM

Doubt it has changed, 5gr arrow weight, per pound of draw weight, as a minimum. Ie; 350gr arrow, max @ 70lbs draw weight, 400 gr arrow is good for 80lbs. 63x5 is 315gr min arrow weight.
Sights and stabilizers, could be changed by now, was fixed pin was hunter, dial a prayer was open, magnifiers were open, and I forget the length on the stabilizers, there was something there about that, don't think 8" is anything to worry about, strikes me as it was 12". Seems to me rear stabilizers could boot you to open, may have depended on the shoot you were at though.

Last edited by 32-40win; 01-13-2018 at 09:26 PM.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:01 PM

Hunter class,

Screw in tips, no glue in
40 yards max outdoor, 50 max indoor
Fixed pin sight 4 pins max
Once the first arrow of competition is shot, you cannot adjust your sight
Single front Stabilizer under 12" from point of attachment
No lenses

Hunter glass is deemed as developmental By Archery Canada and is not a championship class (you can't win a Provincials or Nationals shooting it any longer)

LC
Old 01-13-2018, 10:15 PM
Banned

I won’t be winning any provincials or nationals anyway, lol. I’ll have to get another pin on my sight as mine is a 3 pin. Other than that I don’t think we have any issues.

Thanks guys.
Old 01-13-2018, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmisfits View Post
I won’t be winning any provincials or nationals anyway, lol. I’ll have to get another pin on my sight as mine is a 3 pin. Other than that I don’t think we have any issues.

Thanks guys.
Be aware that hunter class is rarely offered anymore. It's unfortunate, but unless it's a specific "hunter" shoot, you may not find a hunter class. Most likely it will be MBR/CFP class.

LC
Old 01-23-2018, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Be aware that hunter class is rarely offered anymore. It's unfortunate, but unless it's a specific "hunter" shoot, you may not find a hunter class. Most likely it will be MBR/CFP class.

LC
Is there a class that's similar to hunter class, that doesn't use lenses, big stabilizers etc ? I'm thinking about trying some 3d this season too.