Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-08-2018, 09:07 PM

Default Pressure Switch to set Water Tank Pressure

I am trying to check that my water tank pressure is set correctly as I seem to be lacking water pressure on my acreage. The manual says to adjust the pre-charge in the tank based on the range of what the pressure switch setting of the pump is. How do I find out what this value for my pump pressure switch is so I can check my water tank? Is this noted somewhere on the switch itself or is there a way to look this up somewhere based on the make?
Old 12-08-2018, 09:22 PM

How old is the pressure tank? Also does the pressure come and go?
Old 12-08-2018, 09:48 PM

Take the cover off the switch and underneath is what it comes pre set to. Usually they are 35-50.
Old 12-08-2018, 09:48 PM

Not exactly sure of the age of the tank. It's a Flotec FP7120-08 so possibly from 2008? We bought the place in 2011 and it was installed at that point but looked pretty new. The pressure has never been great but it seems to be getting worse. I don't think it really comes and goes, just slowly dropping off.
Old 12-08-2018, 09:52 PM

Perfect, thanks. I found the preset under the cover and should be able to no confirm the tank is set correctly.
Old 12-08-2018, 10:00 PM

If it's a fiberglass tank, the bladder can get weak as it ages. Ours was 14 years old when we noticed the pressure would come and go. By the time we replaced it the bladder had all but collapsed and the pressure was coming right from the pump. Not good to have the pump always cycling..
Old 12-08-2018, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Elk View Post
Perfect, thanks. I found the preset under the cover and should be able to no confirm the tank is set correctly.
May have been changed. Do you have a pressure gauge? Check cut in and cut out pressure. If I remember right, pressure tank should be 2 psi below cut in pressure. Quick google search will tell you that.
If you don't have a pressure gauge on the system, that is the first thing I would do (install one)

edit. Just looked at mine. Yes, 2 psi below cut in pressure for the pressure tank
Old 12-09-2018, 04:04 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Elk View Post
Not exactly sure of the age of the tank. It's a Flotec FP7120-08 so possibly from 2008? We bought the place in 2011 and it was installed at that point but looked pretty new. The pressure has never been great but it seems to be getting worse. I don't think it really comes and goes, just slowly dropping off.
Low pre charge will not cause low pressure in the system. What it will do is cause the pump to cut in more often then it needs to.

Low system pressure is more likely caused by the cut off switch wearing, which can decrease spring pressure to the cutoff switch activation lever.
Thus lowering the switch cut off pressure.

Assuming you don't have a pressure gauge I agree with MountainTI
Installing one would be my first step. Then a careful check of cut in and cut out pressures is in order.
It may need to be reset to a higher pressure.

Remember, adjusting one spring effects the other spring's setting. Always check both cut in and cut out before and after making any adjustment.

The instructions under the switch cover should give you all the information you need, but if in doubt, give us a shout.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 12-09-2018, 08:32 AM

is there a filter or water softner in the system ?
Old 12-09-2018, 09:06 AM

The switches are adjustable, so even though it came in the box set at 30/50, it could be anywhere now.
Run your water and see how low the pressure gets until the switch clicks. And then shut the water off and see how high the pressure goes.
Cut in and cut out.
Easy peasy.

Also, make sure you shut your pump off and relieve all the pressure from your plumbing system before you check the pressure on your tank.
Old 12-09-2018, 10:15 AM

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I'll run some tests today. Yes, I do have a filter in the system but I bypassed it to check if there was an issue there but the pressure is the same. I do have a pressure gauge installed so I will confirm where the pump kicks in and out.