Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-08-2018, 07:22 AM

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
No matter what everyone tells ya about bc and all the fun math and crazy new wizzbang micro moa rifles. The best rifle you can have is the one you already own, and if you don’t own one and need to get a rifle pick something that suits your needs shooting ability and budget a 30-30 shoots them just as dead as a fancy face melter magnum or a shiny master race 6.5 it’s the sad truth that no one wants to admit after way to many hours of what iffing the numbers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 View Post
The Ackley’s were all the rage before. Seems to have come to a halt and now every one and their dog is the creedmore bandwagon
I don’t think that the Ackley craze was as big as some people would think as far as the normal Joe hunter is concerned .
Hand loading has only come into its own in the last 30 years or so , as the computer age picked up speed and communication was faster and easier .

Back around 1966 when I started shooting in competition , my father was an official B&C scorer , and wildcats were not commonly mentioned when it came to guns and ammo , hunting and shooting except in small circles of varminters and bench rest shooters .

Being absolutely nuts about guns and hunting ,I asked every hunter that came to our house about their guns and what they used to hunt with .
Rarely was a wildcat mentioned , the cartridges of the day were 308,3006,270,303,243,300 Mag, 7mag,etc.
Even in the 70’s wildcatting wasn’t near as popular as it is now and I believe it is because of our computer age .
Cat
Old 12-08-2018, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeslayer22 View Post
The Ackley’s were all the rage before. Seems to have come to a halt and now every one and their dog is the creedmore bandwagon
The Ackley of any flavour has not come anywhere near selling the rifles the Creedmoor has.

-Billy Molls
Old 12-08-2018, 08:23 AM

P.O.Ackley was a well promoted wildcatter, but Gibbs, Epps in Canada and quite a few others had their place.
My guess is that among rifle enthusiasts wildcatters were rarely more than 1 in a thousand until main line manufacturers got into the business.
Most of my circle of gun nut friends were into custom stocking, elegant metalwork and fine checkering on rifles of pretty standard chambering.
Old 12-08-2018, 08:24 AM

Agreed...but I know more than a couple guys that bought and sold within 5 years just because it was the flavour of the day.