Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-05-2018, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghenn96 View Post
No point in getting out of your truck unless your hunting in the Annex, you could walk for miles then a truck just drives right by ya and all the progress you made is for nothing. The only success you are going to have is in the truck. I’m pretty confident in that.

Being on foot and having others push the animals around for you in their trucks... has brought its very own high level of success to a lot of us. I agree the annex is the place to walk. But that shouldn’t completely discredit the fact you can shoot animals on foot on the west side of base. If all you do is drive and shoot animals then that explains your perfect record for only shooting things from driving around. But there’s lots people who will be successful on foot, and I’m very confident in that lol.
Old 12-05-2018, 01:33 PM

Default Wainwright on foot.

I too have been hunting Wainwright for the last 20 years or so and always in the primitive weapons season.

I can't say I haven't shot animals which I saw while driving from one location to the other but the majority of my success has been by walking in the bush. I have only harvested animals in 728 (West side) and have yet to spend time in the Annex.

The Wainwright hunt is whatever you chose to make of it. In the beginning I was frustrated by vehicles driving by an area where had I chose to sit and watch for the evening but I quickly learned to stay away from areas where vehicles had access. Get back in the bush and the animals are there and the trucks aren't for the most part.

Can't wait for the next opportunity, too bad it takes so long. I'll be over 70 for the next hunt but hopefully I will enjoy it as much as my past hunts on the base.

Phil
Old 12-05-2018, 02:35 PM

Congrats on an excellent hunt!!
The kill is the satisfying, indeed essential, conclusion to a successful hunt. But, I take no pleasure in the act itself. One does not hunt in order to kill, but kills in order to have hunted. Then why do I hunt? I hunt for the same reason my well-fed cat hunts...because I must, because it is in the blood, because I am the decendent of a thousand generations of hunters. I hunt because I am a hunter.- Finn Aagard
Old 12-05-2018, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
I too have been hunting Wainwright for the last 20 years or so and always in the primitive weapons season.

I can't say I haven't shot animals which I saw while driving from one location to the other but the majority of my success has been by walking in the bush. I have only harvested animals in 728 (West side) and have yet to spend time in the Annex.

The Wainwright hunt is whatever you chose to make of it. In the beginning I was frustrated by vehicles driving by an area where had I chose to sit and watch for the evening but I quickly learned to stay away from areas where vehicles had access. Get back in the bush and the animals are there and the trucks aren't for the most part.

Can't wait for the next opportunity, too bad it takes so long. I'll be over 70 for the next hunt but hopefully I will enjoy it as much as my past hunts on the base.

Phil

This is great input, thanks for adding this. I hope to not see this post get derailed on the classic truck hunter Vs foot hunter deal, because this wainwright Hunt is very much so a prime truck hunt opportunity and all the power to those guys and I wish them all the same success.

Hunting on foot has and always will be my favourite. Scouting from the vehicle is almost necessary in many situations. But being on foot and not shooting anything has always been more memorable to me than jumping out of the truck and shooting something.

Again, on track, let’s hear some more stories from the camp hunt! They don’t have to be success stories... maybe you ended up stuck or saw some interesting stuff. Let’s hear it!?
Old 12-05-2018, 03:59 PM

if we cant argue about truck hunting this thread is doomed.
Old 12-05-2018, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadEyeGardner View Post
Again, on track, let’s hear some more stories from the camp hunt! They don’t have to be success stories... maybe you ended up stuck or saw some interesting stuff. Let’s hear it!?
I was in with my son on the BP hunt. He had both antlered moose and a deer draw. First morning he missed a bull shooting through some bush. He was a little down on this. Late that evening he had a chance at a trotting 3 pt MD Buck and made a good shot. Next day we only saw cows and several does that he passed on. Third day going into the area we wanted to hunt a truck stopped on the road in front of us and three moose walked across. The guy came back and told us that all three were young bulls and they were hunting cows. They left and we went in the bush after the three moose. After a bit of sneaking around we ended up splitting the three up. A cow and calf came through at about 50 yds on a slow trot in front of my son. The other moose turned out to be a bull and we pushed in front of another hunter that got a shot but missed. Again we saw a number of deer - does and small bucks that my son turned down.

Driving home and talking his highlight was watching the cow and calf run in front of him --- he described the fluid movement of their bodies, the shine on the hide. He was happy with the one deer and being that close to a wild moose.

Great trip and good job by the base.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:40 PM

o
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Black View Post
if we cant argue about truck hunting this thread is doomed.
Hahaha

Old 12-05-2018, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Tollers View Post
I was in with my son on the BP hunt. He had both antlered moose and a deer draw. First morning he missed a bull shooting through some bush. He was a little down on this. Late that evening he had a chance at a trotting 3 pt MD Buck and made a good shot. Next day we only saw cows and several does that he passed on. Third day going into the area we wanted to hunt a truck stopped on the road in front of us and three moose walked across. The guy came back and told us that all three were young bulls and they were hunting cows. They left and we went in the bush after the three moose. After a bit of sneaking around we ended up splitting the three up. A cow and calf came through at about 50 yds on a slow trot in front of my son. The other moose turned out to be a bull and we pushed in front of another hunter that got a shot but missed. Again we saw a number of deer - does and small bucks that my son turned down.

Driving home and talking his highlight was watching the cow and calf run in front of him --- he described the fluid movement of their bodies, the shine on the hide. He was happy with the one deer and being that close to a wild moose.

Great trip and good job by the base.
Nice! This hunt story is full of cool encounters, and would be memorable for any hunter. But the fact your son was on the rifle, and it sounds like some of his first real close encounters- priceless. It’s these times with the kids or the new hunters that change lives! It’s incredible. Congrats on the buck and I’m sure ya both will be planning your next moose hunt soon!
Old 12-05-2018, 07:47 PM

Here's an off topic question to derail this thread with:
Is there place a civilian can get a haircut on the base?
I've always wanted a flat top cut from a military barber.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:23 PM

Congrats and great photos!

S
Old 12-05-2018, 09:19 PM

Well done.
Old 12-05-2018, 09:33 PM

just wondering if there is a limit to one non-hunter or can a hunter bring two non-hunter friends along?
Old 12-08-2018, 01:27 PM

Congrats - nice elk! Was in the Annex all primitive season this year - lots of elk and moose.
Old 12-08-2018, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil View Post

Phil
Couldn't agree with you more Phil - we've had four primitive seasons on the base to date and each of them has been a great time and unique. We've had -30 with 2 feet of snow to +10 and worried about spoilage.

This years season while unsuccessful deer wise for our group was a great trip. The folks that manage the hunt are top shelf and the hunters we met were all great.

Can't wait to go again.
Old 12-08-2018, 02:52 PM

The harder you work for your animal the sweeter the meat. Congrats on your first elk.

DeadEye...regarding getting pics of your better half packing out the head and cape....Load her up again and take pictures while she packs into a hundred yards of bush and back.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 12-08-2018, 03:52 PM

A question regarding snow depth there now. Is it deep enough that a person should bring along snowshoes?
Old 12-08-2018, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
A question regarding snow depth there now. Is it deep enough that a person should bring along snowshoes?
Just bring them, if you don’t use them be thankful, and if you do need them be thankful you brought them
Old 12-08-2018, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Being on foot and having others push the animals around for you in their trucks... has brought its very own high level of success to a lot of us. I agree the annex is the place to walk. But that shouldn’t completely discredit the fact you can shoot animals on foot on the west side of base. If all you do is drive and shoot animals then that explains your perfect record for only shooting things from driving around. But there’s lots people who will be successful on foot, and I’m very confident in that lol.
Exactly I'll be hunting the base next year and I won't be doing much driving even though it may be more productive

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 12-08-2018, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
The harder you work for your animal the sweeter the meat. Congrats on your first elk.

DeadEye...regarding getting pics of your better half packing out the head and cape....Load her up again and take pictures while she packs into a hundred yards of bush and back.

Hahah! It’s funny because I told her the exact same thing! She said I was out of my mind, that she wasn’t doing it again just for fun lol. I’m sure I could have convinced her to, but now it’s skinned out and waiting to boil on monday night.

Thanks for the congrats! We are both super proud and I’m already dreaming of chasing elk come sept again with archery tackle!
Old 12-08-2018, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
Just got back today only 6 to 8” at the most and the last two days were bright and sunny so unless they get a big dump I wouldn’t bother with snow shoes.
Old 12-08-2018, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
Exactly I'll be hunting the base next year and I won't be doing much driving even though it may be more productive

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Scouting in the truck is almost necessary and a great tool to lead to success. It’s a good time to rest up or have a bite to eat. Great time to laugh with the rest in your party or to drive yourself crazy about a blown opportunity. But then when you get back on a fresh track, or maybe not so fresh, or to see a good animal and make a play on it on foot- that’s when the excitement fires back up!

I’ve always believed that the ‘journey is the reward’ The time and miles spent looking out the windshield has a lot to do with all our outdoor adventures.

Since we (my brothers and I) were kids, we would go for morning and evening drives looking for wildlife, year round. It’s still a tradition and it’s time I love to spend with my family now that I’ve made my own.
Old 12-08-2018, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Now my only regret from the whole trip... is that once we had the elk all quartered out, backstraps and tenderloins out, neck and both racks of ribs in the sled ready for the 100m hike to the truck... I didn’t stop and take a photo of Tash. She was not only carrying the hunting pack, but also the caped out head on her shoulders. That woman blows my mind with what she can accomplish, and this final hunt of our 2018 season is no exception. Having a photo of her packing that out, uphill mind you, would have been the best part of that day. A regret I will not make again, we must take more photos. We had our work cut out and we were both exhausted by the end of it. Most challenging and rewarding hunt of my life this far!
Congrats to you both on your great hunt reading your posts on how you enjoyed the experience was quit refreshing and nice to see. Kind of a off topic question but what is the tattoo of on your wifes finger.
Old 12-09-2018, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage 13 View Post
Congrats to you both on your great hunt reading your posts on how you enjoyed the experience was quit refreshing and nice to see. Kind of a off topic question but what is the tattoo of on your wifes finger.

That one is a camera 📷
Old 12-09-2018, 12:39 PM

Quote:
That one is a camera 📷
Cool so she is a photographer.

Tags
bull, camp, elk, hunt, wainwright